Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
13 Posts
I just got a '10 Forester X, Right Hand Drive. Was looking around under the dash when I found these green plugs. Remembered reading something about plugs.....somewhere. Took me a while to find this thread again.

On my car they are on the left (passenger's) side just under front edge of the carpet.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
1 Posts
Same thing on my 2010x Passenger side. Just saw them when installing the blue footwell lights. First thing that came to mind was "Hey some other accessory that I can install must plug into them. WRONG.

·
Premium Member
2007 APS DR65, FMIC, UTEC 6MT from Forester STI (JDM)
208 Posts
In Forester 2007 model there are two green plugs: "Test Mode Connector" and "Line End Connector". One is under steering column, one is on the left (passenger's) side under front edge of the carpet. They are connected in between (tandem), so it is fine to disconnect ANY.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
937 Posts
Almost all subies have the green plugs; some on the left side, some models on the right. They arrive from the transport truck with the plugs connected. The "Pre-Delivery" inspection requires the dealership to disconnect them. I believe having them connected prevents the car from learning its enviorment (ie altitude, temp.) until the car is at its selling dealership.
During some testing procedures, and during a reflash of the cars computer we may reconnect them.
Steve
Subie tech.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,092 Posts
Cars are full of unconnected connectors, since they tend to use one standard harness across a whole line, ready to accept whatever options or model-specific items might end up being installed. And yes, they do sometimes get fouled up.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Limited Auto w/nav
898 Posts
How amateurish! Those plugs are only weathertight when connected. I would never let one of our electrical guys deploy something so unprofessional.
One would think that some sort of plug could be put on these to keep them closed. Also, it would be nice if this was addressed in the owner's manual or better yet with a small label on the plug.

Something subtle like:

DON'T CONNECT THESE PLUGS!

Something like that so that even I can understand it. These are the types of labels I can appreciate:icon_razz:

·
Registered
awesome
75 Posts
lol pretty sure I bought mine with these connected. Keep getting weird codes and when in ACC the fans, relays etc are all tripping out. I will go take a look and disconnect - forum win!!!

·
Registered
1999 Forester S 4EAT
418 Posts
Heh, I recognise that plug from the EA81 era :biggrin:

That used to be tied to a service interval timer way back when: every 60,000 miles it would turn on the EGR light on the dash. IIRC, there was a connector under the dash with two positions that the plug could fit into; you'd just swap it over to the unused spot and the light was out for another 60,000. Lather, rinse, repeat every 60K.

Funny to see how that carried over through the years, even if its purpose is just slightly different now :icon_wink:

·
Registered
01 forester
121 Posts
So if I'm going to buy a used suby , I should test drive it plug these two lines together, complain about the electrical issues for a lower price, buy it , then disconnect. FTW :)

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Limited
495 Posts
I noticed 2 disconnected green plugs in the footwell area on the passenger side of my '11 - are these the same thing? I assume I should leave them disconnected? Especially since the vehicle is running great, LOL.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,877 Posts
I noticed 2 disconnected green plugs in the footwell area on the passenger side of my '11 - are these the same thing? I assume I should leave them disconnected? Especially since the vehicle is running great, LOL.

Thanks,
Mark
Thanks for confirming the 2011 has them still, and yes do keep them unplugged.:icon_razz:

·
Registered
2004 Forester 5MT With 20% Reduction Box
117 Posts
My turn to ask questions! well just one. Should these be CONNECTED for a diagnostic check or do they just send the car hay wire? Do they show up real codes or just make random ones show?

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X Manual
127 Posts
Is this down near the blower housing? I was just down there pulling out the fuel pump relay plug for my compression test and see that it is connected, and has been connected for 13,000 miles, with nothing out of the ordinary...just the annoying emissions related CELs.

·
Registered
2014 Impreza WRX 5 speed manual
429 Posts
I found those little green plugs today while reinstalling my car's carpet. Connecting them resulted in a flashing check engine light as well as the cooling fans cycling between off, low, and high. I'm glad to know that they're supposed to be unplugged!

John / LIP89

·
Registered
2000 outback automatic
2 Posts
Thanks all I just replaced the heater core in my 2000 Outback. That required ripping the dash all out (or at least thats how I did it) upon reassembly I attached the two green connectors :huh: I've been beating my self up for three days now trying to figure out what I did wrong :crazy: . This info helped allot now maybe I'll keep the car. :woohoo:

21 - 40 of 68 Posts