Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks all I just replaced the heater core in my 2000 Outback. That required ripping the dash all out (or at least thats how I did it) upon reassembly I attached the two green connectors :huh: I've been beating my self up for three days now trying to figure out what I did wrong :crazy: . This info helped allot now maybe I'll keep the car. :woohoo:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was suspecting my radiator fans weren't working so connected them today.
Fans both cycled fine, phew.
I just connected them and turned ignition to ON (not starting car) for a while.
Then turned ignition OFF and disconnected them again. Hope that's the right procedure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
under dash, IIRC drivers side next to steering column
I too found a "disconnected" white single-pin connector with black wire behind the driver's side (left-hand) floor-level kick panel. Re-connected it and didn't seem to do anything?

I discovered this while searching for "reverse" sense wire for new head-end stereo unit....I guess I'll go back in and disconnect this wire as you guys seem to think it's for diagnostic purposes. But it didn't make anything weird on displays.

·
Super Moderator
35,234 Posts
I believe specific connector is for the security system. If your Forester didn't come with the security system upgrade installed, that connector wouldn't do anything. Take a look in the Owner's Manual. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
14 Posts
I believe specific connector is for the security system. If your Forester didn't come with the security system upgrade installed, that connector wouldn't do anything. Take a look in the Owner's Manual.
Ohhh.. My Subaru does have (or did have) a security system...The red light blinks all the time, but I've never set it off. I think it was messed with when a remote starter was installer. I'll check it tonight. There was an instruction about a special key sequence to enable/disable valet/security mode too?

·
Super Moderator
35,234 Posts
Take a look at 2-17 & 2-18 in your '03 Owner's Manual. Connecting the white connector gives you passive security arming. It also looks like the dealership has to do some additional magic to get this feature. To place the system in active arming mode (remote required for activation), disconnect the white connector. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Today i was looking for this green plug to put car in test mode to test BCS, found it was already connected... Nothing wrong with the car... Having it connected or not doesn't make a difference to anything. theres only one green connector with one terminal. does this mean its for the security system? 04 forester XT

Cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
My turn to ask questions! well just one. Should these be CONNECTED for a diagnostic check or do they just send the car hay wire? Do they show up real codes or just make random ones show?
Reviving this thread. :N_poke:

I would LOVE to know this answer. Real codes? Random ones? What is the real purpose?

·
The Modfather
8,098 Posts
Connecting them does put the car into diagnostic mode. AFAIK it's only useful if you have the Select monitor hardware that the dealer uses, not for something like and obd2 reader.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
This thread points out how many of us can't help but tinker with stuff. Brings to mind a hilarious shop notice way back pre Internet about not letting fingers fiddle, written in fake German. Can't find it with google now.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
German friend of ours had a restaurant, and he had that note on the ice machine. Here it is-

--------------------------------------------------------------
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen peepers!

Das machine control is nicht fur gerfinger-poken und
mittengrabben. Oderwise is easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowen fuse, und poppencorken mit spitzensparken.
Der machine is diggen by experten only. Is nicht fur
geverken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseenen
keepen das cotten picken hands in das pockets,
so relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Forester XT Check engine light blinking fans turn On and Off

I have a 09 forester XT Automatic the check engine light is blinking fast and my radiator fans Turn On and Off when i have my ignition to on position,
This remains me of my 05 wrx when i had forgot to unplug Cobb flashing plugs....But i don't see any set up like this in my stock 09 XT...What Gives???

·
Space For Rent
537 Posts
Sounds to me like you have the connector under drivers side dash plugged in? I'd check it anyways, they are usually green and people see them unplugged and plug them in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
09' Forester, Mystery connector

Hi, I had a water leak in the passenger front seat zone and as I was pulling up the carpet I noticed this connector, disconnected. I connected it and soon enough my Engine light came on so I disconnected it, as it was. Does anyone know what is the purpose of this connector?

Not sure why the pic is 90 degrees ccw.
Edit - moderator's note - corrected image & embedded it into the post. :wink:

Bobby...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,234 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hope i remember this info when i meet that green thing. I tend to connect things when i see them disconnected and wonder what it does. :surprise:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep

Was changing out the clock spring on my 01 Forester and was doing quite a bit under dash. Saw the GREEN PLUG unplugged and thought" must have knocked it out so I plugged in". What a mess. All kinds of weird stuff going on. Unplugged and everything seems to be fine. What the hell does that plug do?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
It's the diagnostic plug. When connected, all of the electronic circuits are tested in a rather continuous loop - hence, the radiator fans turning ON then OFF. If you are planning to mess with the firmware of the ECU, you probably need the diagnostic plug connected to gain access by way of the OBD-II port. The normal state of the two green connectors is UNPLUGGED.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
About this Discussion
68 Replies
61 Participants
RForester
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing