Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 469 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
exhaust

I think I take back the part about 10 minutes of exhaust in closed garage. It may indeed kill.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Z-rest. I use it when dirt bagging (backpacking). It gets thrown down right on the dirt and slept on. I've always been quite comfortable. No need to worry about rolled up edges or punctures, either.

·
German tech
3,723 Posts
My swag will be sitting in behind the rear seat back permanently. I've already checked the fit at the dealers ;)

I like that 10 cm of foam prepacked with my sleeping back and inflatable pillow 8)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: hahahaha!!

McZero said:
Anyways, I test drove an Element last year. The seats do fold up to the side, out of the way, and you have a flat floor, but the overall area isn't that much better than the Forester except for the headroom and it being totally flat.
On the Element, don't the backrests on both front and rear seats lay flat, so if you arrange it just right you in effect have two nice padded beds right there. I briefly considered the Element, just cause it had so many clever functional features like that. But in the end it was just too... ugly, I guess, especially with those black plastic primer-looking panels all over it. And of course, the engine couldn't hold a candle to the XT's turbo.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I had to lay diagonally in my SF and used the front headrest as an impromptu pillow, wasn't the best nights sleep I've ever had, but it wasn't as bad as my old car.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The wife and I have spent many nights in the back of the FXT. Thermarests are the way to go - very comfortable. Having a waterproof container of some kind for all your gear/crap is essential, so you can put it outside at night. We also cut out pieces of cardboard to the exact size of the windows, to have privacy. Works great!

Oh, and don't forget a piss bottle! :lol: Especially if you're like me and tend to drink beer when camping!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
One other thought - camping in the back of the FXT has really made me desire an inside handle for the hatchback! Is there anyway to have one installed???

·
Administrator
11,764 Posts
I had a quick look without pulling the cap off. If you open the rear cargo door and look at the inside trim of the door just above the locking latch towards the RHS. You should see a plugged hole - that's it.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
RTFM. Just kidding. I just kept seeing this thread and couldn't ignore it any more.

Pull the plug out located near the latch. Use your finger to lift up on the lock mech. Oh, and you might want to pull the digit out before swinging the gate up!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks guys. I RTFM when I first got the car, and didn't remember that this was in it. D'oh! :)

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
My girlfriend keeps suggesting we try sleeping in the back on our next camping trip. I don't think we'll fit - I'm 6'2 and she is 5'10. Maybe I'll give it a test fit sometime :)

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
All you car campers keep watching this thread, I am working on a new toy for the forester to make camping easier.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
zach said:
My girlfriend keeps suggesting we try sleeping in the back on our next camping trip. I don't think we'll fit - I'm 6'2 and she is 5'10. Maybe I'll give it a test fit sometime :)
YOU TURNED DOWN an offer to get your g/f in the back of your Forester?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I like to camp, but I have a problem. Where can you get a portable full bath (private) so my wife would be willing to camp, too?
I must admit when camping, those middle of the niight bathroom runs really suck. That is the only time I wish I owned a camper.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
higgledy said:
I like to camp, but I have a problem. Where can you get a portable full bath (private) so my wife would be willing to camp, too?
I must admit when camping, those middle of the niight bathroom runs really suck. That is the only time I wish I owned a camper.
Does it have to have a tub, or will a shower do?

As for portable toilets?

Put a large tarp around it with some tent poles FTW!!

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
The portable shower and portapottie ideas work great. I am lucky enough to have a wife who loves to camp. One of the reasons I am putting my car camping idea together.

21 - 40 of 469 Posts