Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 469 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
portable bathroom

higgledy said:
I like to camp, but I have a problem. Where can you get a portable full bath (private) so my wife would be willing to camp, too?
I must admit when camping, those middle of the niight bathroom runs really suck. That is the only time I wish I owned a camper.
Gander mountain/Cabela have many private portable shower/crapper stalls. Use wet ones to clean your hands.

Or just go camping with the dudes.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
mikeyfireman said:
All you car campers keep watching this thread, I am working on a new toy for the forester to make camping easier.
Well don't leave us in suspenders! Give us a hint!

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
zach said:
My girlfriend keeps suggesting we try sleeping in the back on our next camping trip. I don't think we'll fit - I'm 6'2 and she is 5'10. Maybe I'll give it a test fit sometime :)
I'm 6'1 and my wife is about 5'9. We've done it. It is a little tight for me, but it can be done in a pinch.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Kevin said:
Maybe just leave the cargo door open and cover it with a ground sheet? You can let your feet hang out then:)
Not when snow is planned for the overnight and it is currently raining. (That's why we slept inside!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife and I are talking about getting a small trailer, like those sold by Harbor Freight, and attaching a cargo box to it. The idea is we can put all of our camping supplies in the trailer and sleep in the car. Preparing the car for sleeping, however, seems like quite a job. I've noticed in the owner's manual that the front seats, with headrests removed, can fold all the way back and sort of from a bed, except the console extender is in the way.

·
Administrator
11,790 Posts
On my last weekend trip I slept in the back. I lowered the rear seat and positioned my spare wheel in the centre then placed the wheel well cover on top. This aligned with my rear drawers very nicely -

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?t=1591

Since then I have added flat fridge slides - which I extended and this gave me a a flat surface all the way through long enough for my self inflating mattress. I strapped the cargo door down as far as it would go and wrapped a ground sheet around it - I forgot to take a pic!

Slept very well indeed!:smile:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
the thermarest is a great idea and also subzero sleeping bags are a great investment but the most important thing is limo black tint on the windows!thats if you have a honey with you.the foresters aren't the roomiest but youle be surprise how much you can do with the room provided bu the sub's.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
:grin: you can sleep all night or you can test your suspension and then passout no matter your hight. the choice is yours

·
Registered
180 Posts
All you car campers keep watching this thread, I am working on a new toy for the forester to make camping easier.
So, Mikey, have you finished your development work? Or can you at least give us a general idea or update?

In general, the downside of sleeping in your car, is that you can't easily go for a beer or firewood run without disturbing sleeping arrangements. I like to set up my tent, go drive around, and get back to a ready-to-sleep setup at base camp. :icon_razz:

·
Administrator
30,099 Posts
^^ I'm going to have to go by his house and check on his progress... he lives only a mile or two from me and hasn't posted here forever!

·
Dodgy Post Whore - eh!
1,856 Posts
Havent done it, but then again when Im doing a trip I typically have a bunch of crap in the back and take a tent. Its usually much easier to setup a tent than to empty out all the crap.
Yeah, what he said.

On a trip last year one of the guys used his swag in the back. But be aware, a metal/glass car can get colder than a tent!! We had ice on the tents when we got up and the guy that slept in the car was the only one who thought it was cold overnight.
But was he sleeping in there because his sleeping bag wasn't up to sub-zero temps?

Couldn't this be dangerous?
Park nose into the breeze? (Works for cooling the radiator, too, I've found.)

·
Registered
156 Posts
A friend and I did it one time. A piss bottle is a must esp. in winter/ cold nights. I ended up taking the head rest out turning it upside down and putting it back in. It was ok. At the time I didn't expect to sleep the Forester, but it ended up that way.

41 - 60 of 469 Posts