Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 462 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to go on long road trips and camp. I almost never stay in motels, except if it's really high end. Even then, only for a night or two after a week of camping.

I wuz wundering... anyone else sleep in the back with the seats folded down? I feel like a dork doing that, but if all I need is a place to crash for 6 hours or so, it's great. I'm 5'8 and sleeping diagnally is fine with regards to length. Beats paying $50 for a crappy Motel 6.

Oh yeah, travelling alone too. Although two might work, if you really, really like each other..

Can you remove the rear seats? At least the folding part? That's crazy..

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
I'd recommend an air mattress, or maybe a simple pool floatation mattress would work. It would smooth out the rough spots a bit, and make things more comfortable.

It's pretty comfortable with just an air mattress, a few warm blankets, and a pillow. :D

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
1,728 Posts
Havent done it, but then again when Im doing a trip I typically have a bunch of crap in the back and take a tent. Its usually much easier to setup a tent than to empty out all the crap.

On a trip last year one of the guys used his swag in the back. But be aware, a metal/glass car can get colder than a tent!! We had ice on the tents when we got up and the guy that slept in the car was the only one who thought it was cold overnight.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife and I have slept in the back along with our dog - I was scrunched (6'4") but my wife loved it (5'5").

If you are traveling solo and have a safe place to sleep in the car, than I would have no problem recommending it.

Trial

edit: I would also recommend a pad.

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
1,332 Posts
Sleeping bag and light out for me. I've spent a half dozen or so nights sleeping in the back of mine. Heck last friday night I slept in the back of mine just outside Amboy, on my way ot CES

·
Registered
40 Posts
We're thinking of getting an Element as a second car and for camping trips including sleeping in the car sometimes. Keeping the XT as well (of course).

JP

04 XT MT

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hahahaha!!

Oh my!

Anyways, I test drove an Element last year. The seats do fold up to the side, out of the way, and you have a flat floor, but the overall area isn't that much better than the Forester except for the headroom and it being totally flat.

ButI got the Forester because it was instantly obvious the Element didn't come close to the handling, and the interior quality wasn't as good. It was a more inexpensive vehicle though.

I'm thinking about going to the Badlands this weekend. I am in the Kansas City area, so it should be do-able for a 3 day weekend.

One thing I recommend- Remote Start. I had this put in (got my '03 Forester X 1 year ago with 36K on for $16900) at purchase. If I get cold sleeping inside the car, I can push the remote start button on my 'fob' and the engine will run for 10 min and shut off. Having left the heat and blower on, this warms up the car nicely. You can fall asleep for a couple hours before the cold wakes you up again.

(I've already gone on one trip, KC to Portland, OR in February)

·
#8 Post ho
2,460 Posts
Re: hahahaha!!

One thing I recommend- Remote Start. I had this put in (got my '03 Forester X 1 year ago with 36K on for $16900) at purchase. If I get cold sleeping inside the car, I can push the remote start button on my 'fob' and the engine will run for 10 min and shut off. Having left the heat and blower on, this warms up the car nicely. You can fall asleep for a couple hours before the cold wakes you up again.

Couldn't this be dangerous?

·
Premium Member
228 Posts

Couldn't this be dangerous?
Probably only dangerous if you're not in a well vented area.
If you do this with the windows shut (which might be tempting if it's that cold), and if your car has any exhaust leaks, this could indeed be risky. But if there's a breeze and the windows are at least cracked open, ten minutes is probably not that big a deal. Still, a nice warm sleeping bag would seem preferable. HPH

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yep, has been once after too many lagers.
No mattress or sleeping bag, just a beer coat :D
I was butchered by mosquitos as I left the moonroof open :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I went on a 9 night solo car camping trip last spring in the California desert. On night two, 50mph desert winds destroyed my tent. So at about 2am, I had to move into the Forester. Oh yeah, that was fun to rearrange stuff in the car and set up my bed in the middle of the night, while being pelted with 50mph wind driven sand! I slept in their for the next 7 nights, and it was awesome!

I'm 6', I slept diagonal, with my pillow on the high spot that is the top of the folded back seat. I like to be able stretch out to my full height while sleeping. The only way it worked was by folding the passenger seat forward, and filling the gap to the folded rear seat by stuffing in my coat and a clothes bag. Then it was super comfy! Slide open the sunroof cover, and you've got a view of the stars!

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
The wife and I have slept in the back several times while camping. We seem to pick rainy weekends to camp on. I'm 5'10 and she is 5'4 and we had plenty of room. I would highly recommend a pad or matress because the floor is not exactly level or smooth.

It also helps to use a cartop carrier to throw your stuff into. There isn't much room for anything else with 2 people in the back.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hi

I have a Thermarest actually, one of the 2/3 length ones, and it's perfect.

I also try and fill the gap between the passenger front seat and the back with the rear seats folded down. Once you do, it's great.

As far as the remote start goes, I'm not worried about the exhaust. Even if in a closed garage, 10 minutes of running the engine probably wouldn't kill. Instead only drop a few levels on the IQ charts :) Outside, there's no way it's an issue unless you somehow have a signifigant fraction of your exhaust being re-directed inside.

WOW I'm impressed- more than one poster tells of two sleeping in the Forester!! It's good to know.

1 - 20 of 462 Posts
About this Discussion
461 Replies
250 Participants
bazooka
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing