Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester Limited Manual
117 Posts
I had the same question. At the time removed the air filter to check for debris and leaks but found nothing. I suspect the dandelion seed got stuck on the MAF a long time back when I last removed the air filter.

I think cleaning the MAF with CRC spray really helped more than removing the seed, but that's not as interesting :icon_wink:

Glad it's better but how did dandelion seed get onto your MAF?

·
Registered
2002 forester L
5 Posts
My 02 is running like crap, 1500 rmp it shakes and idles rough. Even wile driving if rmp lower then 2k it runs like crap and even feels like missing/knock. Going to try this before dumping money into her. The TPS was loose so I tightened it to where in think It should be, wires look brand new haven't checked plugs yet(cant find my extension)
Other then that aspect it runs great accelerates great I pulled what I thought was o2 plug see if that would help but was same and didn't even throw CHK engine light so either was incorrect of previous owner pulled CHK Eng Bulb.

Can anyone give picture exact connector of the front o2? Think I have 2.5 supposedly previous owner replaced engine and tranny ...

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 subaru forester sg5
3 Posts
so I tried to perform this process to solve stalling problems in my 2003 Forester MT, but after reconnecting the battery, waiting the 10-20 sec on ON then starting the engine, it runs for not more than 15 mins then stalls. when I try to start it again it doesn't start for a while till I give it like 30 min to 1 hr. Is that normal? Should idling problem affect subsequent startin?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
42,024 Posts
Curious... did you have idle issues after the battery was replaced, or did you follow this procedure as a precaution?

I'm asking because I've never had idle issues on either of our Forester after the battery has been disconnected or replaced.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2009 Forester
3 Posts
Just wanted to post that the procedure in post #1 fixed my idle issue AND my rev hang issue. Very happy indeed! I was skeptical at first, but upon multiple test drives the car finally drives normal after the procedure. Also I did not wait 30 minutes after I disconnected the battery, I simply disconnected it, drained any residual charge and immediately reconnected the battery. For the record I have a 2009 Forester 2.5L 5-speed manual transmission.

Thanks!

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I will have to say that there is some truth to this. Some steps may not be needed, or necessarily required, but when I had to reset my ECU every other day due to a fuel tank sensor throwing a check engine light, there would be sometimes where I would reset it and it would idle horribly all day. I would pull up to a stop light and it would stall out, idle rough, or just be a pain to drive around the city all day.

If I reset the ECU, and perform similar steps as described in the OP's original post, the car would behave correctly and drivability was perfect. I could definitely feel the difference in the car if I let it "re-learn to idle" before just driving it after an ECU reset or battery disconnection.

Even now with the car mended, and NO CEL's at all, I've had the battery out a few times and if I don't allow the car to re-learn to idle, I can feel the difference in the car. I doubt anyone who doesn't REALLY pay attention to their car would notice, but I do. I follow a procedure similar to the OP, and voila. No more issues, sluggishness, stalling or rough idle. So before people start jumping on the BS bandwagon, I suggest possibly realizing that this has worked for some people, and this is not the first time this type of procedure has been recommended for idling/drivability issues.

·
Registered
2006 Outback
1 Posts
Idle problem solved

I had a new battery installed and immediately started experiencing idle problems. I went back to the vendor and they did not have a clue. I found this link in the forum, followed it explicitly, and now my car idle problem was fixed. I am not here to say that there might have been a short cut, but I don't care my car is happy and so am I. Thank you for your help. Richard

P.S. I have an 06 Outback with 110,000 miles on it. Still running like new and getting 33 MPG on highway.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
1 Posts
2003 XS Started having idle problems. Replaced iacv $345 and used seafoam and carb cleaner. Idle would not drop below 1800 rpm until I used this procedure. All seems to be good now.
I followed iit step by step. There definitely seems to be a complicated procedure for the car to relearn how to idle.

·
Registered
2010 forester
1 Posts
IDLE /STALLING REMEDY:

Thought I Would post a simpler solution to a stalling problem with my forester.

I did this last year after putting in a new battery and I just phoned and double checked with my Subaru mechanic in Oakville. I had clutch replaced yesterday and they didn't reset the idle so after the mechanics (not a Subaru mechanic) they didn't realize they needed to do a resequencing.
Instructions:

Do this when the engine is already warm

Idle the vehicle until the engine fan comes ON (takes about 20 min on a cold engine, sooner if you were already driving it)

Turn on the A/C for 1 min! (crutial to do or it won't reset just idling it).
Turn off the a/C

Continue idle for one min then shut engine off

This relearns and resets the electrical
It should work now

Without doing the reset, it will continue to almost stall or stall as you come to a stop

If it doesn't work for you please call or take it into a Subaru dealer. (calling them for instructions is easier. :).

Good luck. Safe Subaru driving!

P.s- has anyone driven the Hybrid and is it worth getting to save on gas? Thx

·
Registered
04 Forester XT EAT
3 Posts
Idle Re-learn

Thanks. I just disconnect the MAF and cleaned it on my 04 Forester XT. Great throttle response now, but no Idle. I will try this tomorrow.
Rick

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1 Posts
I joined just to say thanks for this post! I haven't tried it yet (will tomorrow) but I had to completely replace my battery about 6 months ago and spent over a week in idle hell--stalling at every stoplight, backing out of parking spaces, attempting scary 2 lane highway crossings, etc. even after long stretches of city, highway, and interstate driving. It eventually worked itself out, but was not fun at all in the meantime. Fast forward to now--accidentally left a light on and discharged my battery last week (I've been sick, so it wasn't discovered for 4 days), and after charging it with a Battery Tender, I'm in idle hell again. I fully expect this to work based on my prior experience. Again, thank you!!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
1 Posts
I also joined to say this worked for me as well. Was nearly stalling out at red lights, stop signs etc. Did the procedure and all is well now! 2010 Forester.

·
Registered
2008 forester auto
31 Posts
Worked like a charm!
Recommend also clean your throtle body while the battery is disconnected.
Smoother idle and shifting.

·
Registered
2010 X Premium auto
34 Posts
I just disconnected the battery to clear a code and after reconnect it idled perfectly. If not,I would of tried Bods solution. I guess just restart first and if idle has issues, then jump through the hoops.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
8 Posts
What a load of B.S. Internet mythology. I mean I'm glad it worked for you, but my battery has been disconnected dozens of times with no special "training" afterwards. I have a hard time believing any competently designed car would require a spurious mystic undocumented ritual to reset it after a battery disconnection!

-- Steve
The post is deceiving I agree, but this actually applies when you change the TPS and/or the IACV. I have had to do this with an Expedition, BW Passat and my sons 03 Impreza RS.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Things ain't what they used to be...

What a load of B.S. Internet mythology. I mean I'm glad it worked for you, but my battery has been disconnected dozens of times with no special "training" afterwards. I have a hard time believing any competently designed car would require a spurious mystic undocumented ritual to reset it after a battery disconnection!

-- Steve
Well, yes, the operative term is "competently designed", which is arguable - or certainly is in the case of my 2007 2.5XS Forester. When I had a CEL reset done by the agent yesterday, the engine cut out every few metres on the way home; I estimated I had to crank the engine around 40 times in 4km by the time I reached my driveway. This is the second occasion this has happened to me after a CEL reset. So I carried out the OP's procedure again and the problem was largely solved, barring a little more learning that I'll undertake over the coming few days. Problem is, when you disconnect the battery you also mess up the normal driving parameters so a second learning procedure (attached) has to be undertaken to fix that as well (and if you think the idle learning procedure is some kind of voodoo, you obviously haven't seen this one...).

As an engineer I'm appalled at the amateurish design of my car's electronics, which is hardly assuaged by the fact that apparently not all Foresters, even those of the same year and type, suffer from the same idiosyncrasies. So not only do we have a defective design, but it isn't even a consistent defective design - that's doubly defective. One wonders if the ECM code was written by a novice straight out of university, without the benefit of a more experienced mentor...

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5L
2 Posts
I used this info today to overcome the 'rev hang' problem we were having. We'd had the rev hang problem for a while not realising it was getting worse. After a service this week the problem became noticeably worse with several rev cycles occurring after the clutch was disengaged but before the vehicle came to a complete stop. It was also pushing during planned deceleration on approaches to street corners etc. It was starting to become dangerous.
A bit of experimentation on the driveway showed that it occurred with the clutch disengaged while the car was still rolling. Knocking it into neutral without using the clutch prevented it from happening. It occurred in both forward and reverse directions. It also occurred on a simple trailing throttle while decelerating.
I did three things: - I removed and cleaned the throttle body assembly, I put a hose clamp on a slightly loose vacuum hose connection on the manifold and followed the Idle Re-Learn process.
I was sceptical about the idle re-learn but I am not convinced that the other two actions I took actually solved the problem as the throttle body was a bit dirty but not sticking and the vacuum tube was not tight, but unlikely to be leaking. I think it is highly likely the idle re-learn process it what solved the problem. It is like a different car now.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X
1 Posts
I have just experienced the exact same thing on my 2008 Forester X. I wondering if the fix still stay or gradually get worse as it seems like the rev hanging and surging was getting worse before being fixed

21 - 40 of 93 Posts