16Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: 2.5i Touring
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2016 Forester Rear Ended

My almost 5 month old 2016 forester just got rear ended yesterday while driving my daughter and nephew to school. Luckily no one got hurt, just got startled a bit due to the impact and the sound of the impact. Thats for the seatbelts and carseat.

Parts that got damaged: Bumper, Exhaust, Suspension Cross Member, Support Brace and Stabilizer Bar, Rear Body Panel and Rear floor pan (spare wheel well). Total estimate is around 6k for the repair.

Question, most of the components are for replacement except for the rear floor plan/spare wheel well that is gonna be repaired. I talked to the body shop and they mentioned that they can replace it but they want to keep it as original as possible. I would like to get your take on this matter, which is the best way to go about it? Repair or replace?

Also, how do I go about claiming for diminished value? Car is only 4.5months old with around 3000 miles only.

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 01:41 PM
Emeritus Forum Staff

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would make darn sure they do a thorough inspection of the unibody structure to make sure it is not damaged.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJosh View Post
I would make darn sure they do a thorough inspection of the unibody structure to make sure it is not damaged.
How can I tell if they have done the inspection? This is actually one of my worries, whether the integrity of the unibody is compromised or could still be returned to its original condition

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Breakdown of the repairs

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 01:58 PM
Emeritus Forum Staff

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkn0wn View Post
How can I tell if they have done the inspection? This is actually one of my worries, whether the integrity of the unibody is compromised or could still be returned to its original condition
I would make sure to ask them in person and if possible have them show you what they would be looking for to see if there was damage.
Fozzy_Edz likes this.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

-

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJosh View Post
I would make sure to ask them in person and if possible have them show you what they would be looking for to see if there was damage.
Thanks, I got a scheduled meeting with them this Tuesday and will definitely do this.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 03:18 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester Touring 2.5
There was a guy in Dallas who got rear-ended in one of their ice storms (must've been winter of '14-'15), and the visible damage really looked less than yours. But his car was totaled. It was also new. Make sure you get more than one estimate of the damage.

Looks like it did a number on that Toyota.
nogard and Fozzy_Edz like this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
There was a guy in Dallas who got rear-ended in one of their ice storms (must've been winter of '14-'15), and the visible damage really looked less than yours. But his car was totaled. It was also new. Make sure you get more than one estimate of the damage.

Wow really? The shop is actually one of the companies of the dealer (Dick Hannah Subaru / Dick Hannah Auto Collision). Im not sure if I can still take the car out since its already in the shop. Car got towed to them since the police at the scene feels it will be safer not to drive the cat anymore.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post

The Toyota won't start anymore, driver was probably distracted at that time

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 04:18 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT Touring
Quote:
Wow really? The shop is actually one of the companies of the dealer (Dick Hannah Subaru / Dick Hannah Auto Collision). Im not sure if I can still take the car out since its already in the shop. Car got towed to them since the police at the scene feels it will be safer not to drive the cat anymore.
I am SO happy that you weren't hurt, that your kid or your nephew weren't hurt. I am so sorry this is happening to you and it is super stressful.

If the car is not drivable, you may need to find someone who is willing to come to the location of the car to do a second opinion (if that's possible or you).

If not, you will want to find out what the warranty is on the work and how it protects you. Is it offered through them or is it some third party warranty company... etc.

Be smart, you are the victim in this... be confident and don't be afraid to ask questions or demand a second opinion or whatever you need.

This is my opinion and I am a random person on the internet giving you my advice. Take what I say, like everything else, with a grain of salt.

If you aren't upgrading, you aren't trying.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester2.5i Limited
Quote:

Once the metal is bent the strength of the metal is reduced. It will never be as strong as original unless the damaged metal is replaced. I would recommend that your Forester gets put on a Celette bench for a proper repair.
kpdirection likes this.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:27 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5i Premium
And if you do go through with repairs, make sure to negotiate a "diminished value" payment. These days with Carfax and the like - your car will carry this blemish for its lifetime...

Just asking for this may put the car into the totaled status
Athens Turbaru and Crippled like this.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard View Post
I am SO happy that you weren't hurt, that your kid or your nephew weren't hurt. I am so sorry this is happening to you and it is super stressful.

If the car is not drivable, you may need to find someone who is willing to come to the location of the car to do a second opinion (if that's possible or you).

If not, you will want to find out what the warranty is on the work and how it protects you. Is it offered through them or is it some third party warranty company... etc.

Be smart, you are the victim in this... be confident and don't be afraid to ask questions or demand a second opinion or whatever you need.

This is my opinion and I am a random person on the internet giving you my advice. Take what I say, like everything else, with a grain of salt.
Thanks! Ill discuss the warranty with the shop.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetrux View Post
And if you do go through with repairs, make sure to negotiate a "diminished value" payment. These days with Carfax and the like - your car will carry this blemish for its lifetime...

Just asking for this may put the car into the totaled status
This is actually one of my concerns on how to claim and who dictates the value of the claim. I already mentioned that to the adjuster and the insurance customer service. Both of them are pointing to each other as responsible.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 04:18 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5i Premium
This is a pretty clear case of "failure to maintain assured clear distance" - so the other driver should be at 100% fault, especially with what appears to be wet conditions. I assume he/she was cited for such.

Your insurance company should offer you protection and also should be willing to assist you in getting a fair settlement. It is what you pay for. I long for the "old days" when you had a relationship with a local agent and could totally trust that you were getting the real answers. These days of Internet insurance means you never really know.

There is also something said for having a lawyer negotiate such deals should you have one on retainer. I doubt it deserves hiring one just yet. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Member Mishaps

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode