1Likes
  • 1 Post By KLEMMER

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester 2.0XT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
transmission / solenoid advice

So, I'm driving a 2016 XT with 125,000 miles. I keep it serviced regularlly and haven't had any problems at all. Today, I'm driving down the road (no problems at all) and my dash lights up like a christmas tree with every single light/warning I've ever seen. I'm close to a shop so swing by and they pull the following codes P0700, P0740 & P2757. They tell me I have a faulty TCC solenoid and because Subaru transmissions are sealed my only option is a full replacement at $8,000.

Does this sound accurate and is that my only option? What would happen if I continue to drive it as is? I still owe roughly $8,000 on this and don't have anouther $8,000 to spend so I'm looking for any options.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:39 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
CVT's are full of magic and you don't want to open them and let the magic out. If it's a solenoid it sounds like it would be the lower part of the transmission (the valve body), but still not great. You could find a used replacement from a local pick and pull (junk yard). Try to get one with at least a one month warranty. Not ideal but would be a whole lot cheaper! You'd probably have to get the CVT reprogrammed at a dealer to make it work with your car's ECU.

Moo cow.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:31 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Garage
I would press SOA on a replacement. They already acknowledge a problem and gave a 100K warranty. Couldn't hurt to ask.
slothman likes this.

2017 XT Premium QBP

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

If anyone wants an update... SOA doesn't care as my Forester is beyond the 100K warranty and apparently the warranty was only for 2014-2015 models, Subaru doesn't sell just the TCC solenoid... not that I can find anyone local to replace the part, no one is willing to crack open the transmission to do any work.

I did find an after market TCC solenoid for roughly $100, but I'm not sure I have the skills to replace it and I have concerns using aftermarket parts. So at this point I guess I'm screwed. I guess I'm going to try and sell it as is and hope I can get enough to pay it off and start over with something used and cheap.

I'll certainly never buy another Subaru.

Last edited by mttmrrsn; 06-12-2019 at 06:12 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:54 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT Premium
The warranty is not just for 2014-2015 models, I received a letter of warranty extension on my 2016. This thread indicates it covers 2017 and 2018 as well.

CVT Warranty Extension

Did you talk to SOA and they told you go fry ice? Or are you just speculating they wont care. Never know how they will react and the call to them is free.

Some people with other CVT issues are sourcing used ones for much less than $8000, not sure how they have held up but it possible to find one and have any indy shop drop it in.

Thanks for sharing, your experience and many others are reinforcing my plan to own this car until 99,999 miles and not a foot further, due to the liability of CVT replacement costs
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:10 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Sounds like the OP just wants to give up on it. I won't invest any more thought on it.

Moo cow.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Interesting. The number I found took me directly to a hotline set up for the warranty and that person told me that it was only for 2014-2015 models and indicated that I would be out of luck trying so I didn't proceed.

I'll give customer service a call and see what they have to say about the issue.

I'm just shocked that you can't buy the TCC solenoid, why wouldn't they just sell this part if that's what's going bad?!?

At this point I'm not sure that I want to sink that much money into this, but it all depends on what sort of trade in (if any)I can get for it. If no one's willing to take it then I guess I have no choice but to get a loan and drop in a used one (thanks for the tip).

Sorry, I'm a little anti-subaru right now. At the same time this happened, the catalytic converter went out on my wife's impreza. My last two cars were a honda and a nissan and we got 10 years out of both without anything major happening. Either we were very lucky before or very unlucky now. But when both cars go out at once and at the same time my tv is flooded with commercials about how great subaru is, I tend to get a little jaded.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:32 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Transmission: CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttmrrsn View Post
My last two cars were a honda and a nissan and we got 10 years out of both without anything major happening. Either we were very lucky before or very unlucky now.
Par for the course with Honda. You got lucky with the Nissan.

Having said that, even Honda has it troubles. Odyssey vans have a lot of transmission problems. The 1.5 turbo engine in the CRV is a disaster happening in slow motion. Severe oil dilution problems with most of them. No cure yet. That one may cost Honda a lot of dough before it's over.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:43 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT Premium
Quote:
I'm just shocked that you can't buy the TCC solenoid, why wouldn't they just sell this part if that's what's going bad?!?
That solenoid that died on yours is one of a few parts that can end the life of this CVT, so its not such a common culprit or frequent failure that the part should be cheap and plentiful. Theres a thread or two about a valve body needing to be replaced, torque converters going south, and leaking fluid from a few spots.... it would be nice if there were just ONE weakness of this transmission.

The CVT on my 2016 XT had to be replaced at only 6000 miles on the car, when I saw the $9000 billed to warranty I metaphorically shat myself, and mentally made plans to unload the vehicle before 3/36k warranty ran out. The extended warranty has been a blessing so I have confidence I can afford to own the vehicle until 100k.

I dont blame you for souring on Subaru from this experience, I expected/planned to own my car till 200k miles minimum when I purchased it, but thats out the window and there is a very very small chance I replace this Subaru with another one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode