('19+) CVT jumpy/jerky accelerating slowly? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CVT jumpy/jerky accelerating slowly?

Hello,

I have a 2019 Forester Sport roughly 600 miles on it. I noticed in stop and go traffic it's a bit jumpy/jerky when accelerating slowly. I used a loaner 2019 Forester previous before buying a Forester and didn't noticed this issue. Is this a common issue with transmission? Are these transmissions reliable?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:02 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Transmission: CVT
I have a 2018 XT and if you press the accelerator normally the car will jerk forward. If you gingerly hint at pressing the pedal until you get to about 20% the car will accelerate normally. This problem is caused by the mapping from Subaru. I don't know if the 2019 has the same problem. One of the screens should show you the throttle percentage. On mine it's the screen that shows throttle percentage, boost pressure, and oil temperature. (But you can change which gauges are on there.)

The XT behaviour is different from the normally-aspirated in the 2018. Maybe the sport is different from the others in the 2019.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: Auto
Drive trains are now all the same on the Fozs - Only differences are trim levels and some features on the higher up models, but the basic car's guts are the same.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:59 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: XT Premium
Is this your first CVT equipped car? It takes some getting used to, but I really enjoy mine after initially thinking the jerkiness was an issue, and recalibrating my throttle foot.

These the Subaru CVTs are quite reliable, not infallible by any means, but better than some of the Honda issues of the past decade.

The only black mark on the record of the CVT is how expensive it is to replace, so if something does go wrong out of warranty its $6-8000 for a replacement one.

Not sure if anything changed on the CVT for the new Forester, but the cost to replace is likely similarly high
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 02:46 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: ForesterTouring 2.5
My 2019 is my third CVT and I would opine that the 19 CVT control laws are a bit different, and not in a positive way. The question is whether corrective action is via software or hardware?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:14 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
I have the same experience with my '19 Sports with about 9,200km...The jerkiness is usually more noticeable at low speeds for me (between 20 and 40km/h) when engine is cold.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:49 AM
Forum Member

I'm taking my '19 Sport in tomorrow to have it looked at. It happens all the time under load with the AC on going up even a slight incline between 2-3/k RPM. It hesitates and bucks! Only 4K miles so far.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 08:39 AM
Forum Member

My 2019 sport is in for the same issue (actually the 3rd time) it happens at 1800-2400 rpm. Very annoying when using the cruise @80mph. I will let you know what I find.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 09:18 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: 2016 & 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trance View Post
I have the same experience with my '19 Sports with about 9,200km...The jerkiness is usually more noticeable at low speeds for me (between 20 and 40km/h) when engine is cold.
could it be the locking of torque convertor that gives you this sensation...
it locks at diferent speed in function of oil temperature but usually in the 20 to 40km/h range
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 03:13 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nounounounou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trance View Post
could it be the locking of torque convertor that gives you this sensation...
it locks at diferent speed in function of oil temperature but usually in the 20 to 40km/h range
I had notice this too when I first got the 19 sport it really bothered me cause its my first CVT and AWD vehicle. That lurching feeling is extremely uncomfortable, but at least its not a problem in Sport# mode. Seems to be only when Im in "I" drive mode...

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 07:11 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Calhoun View Post
Hello,

I have a 2019 Forester Sport roughly 600 miles on it. I noticed in stop and go traffic it's a bit jumpy/jerky when accelerating slowly.
Some of that may be the ECM “learning” your driving habits. I know my ‘15 would come back to me after having been “flash updated” and be like an entirely different car from throttle response to “shift points”. It always settled down after about 1000 miles.

You guys with more miles - was there an update during service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline