('14-'18) Weird 2017 Forester noise issue - SOLVED! - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

17Likes

post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird 2017 Forester noise issue - SOLVED!

so...here's an ongoing shaggy dog story with my 2017 Forester....got it in September 2016...car has ~ 8k miles on it now...recently started making a subtle metal-on-metal rattling noise while driving over rough pavement....noise comes from the rear hatch area, as if something is loose. One of those noises where I really want to try to ignore it, but then my wife says, "what's that noise?"
Anyways, took it to the dealer.....went for a drive with the tech, he acknowledged the noise, said it was likely one (or both) of the rear hatch struts going bad....so, they give me a loaner, keep the car for two days, and replace the struts (they needed to order one of the struts, otherwise it would have taken only one day).....
I get the car back, and it STILL makes the same noise....I go back to the dealer, see the same service tech, who swears that they test drove the car and they didn't hear the noise.....I leave the car there...

They spend another day diagnosing and decide that there is a problem with the rear hatch itself!!! A NEW REAR HATCH is ordered, car goes to the body shop to have the hatch color matched and clearcoated....I pick up the car 6 days later.

After driving the car a bit, I notice that it is STILL making the same noise....I insist the same tech go out for a test drive with me to substantiate it still makes the noise, which he verifies. Says to me leave the car again....and that's where we are as of this writing. I have what is now my 3rd loaner (new 2017 Forester) and wondering what is up. I really feel as if the dealership is doing whatever is necessary to fix the issue (I feel they genuinely want to solve the problem), but beginning to lose confidence. Anyone have any pearls of wisdom?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 06:53 PM
Forum Member

Same here

I have had my new 2017 Forester for only a week and have noticed a noise coming from the hatch as well. I let my wife drive and I pushed on it and the rattling sound stopped. I am planning on contacting the dealer tomorrow. I wish you luck and will try to let you know what I hear.

post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 06:58 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester 2.5 Premium
Transmission: CVT
How irritating!

Sounds like what @ryan_calif went through, but it looks like changing the hatch solved his problem in the following thread:

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...ptions-507289/

Maybe your replacement hatch was also messed up or there's a broken weld in another spot??? I dunno! Perhaps Ryan can provide a few tips.

Mike

post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

well, I left the car at the dealer over the weekend, and expect (hopefully) to hear some update tomorrow (Monday)....we'll see!?
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 06:52 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5 Premium
I have the same issue but decided against going to the dealer because the rattle isn't heard all the time and I'm sure once I get there, there will be no sound. I'll wait and see what happens, after all we have a three year warranty and I got the car in Oct 2016 so I still have a while to go.
As a note, I took off the left rear covers on the pillar and the seat belt cover and looked for loose wires but couldn't find anything. Looked in the roof liner and there are no loose wires either, I assume the sound comes from a weld point on the ribs going across the roof but can't be sure unless I take off the roof liner which am not willing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White Subie
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 08:02 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i Ltd
I am not sure if this was considered. I had a metal rattling noise coming from the rear too, and to my surprise it turned out to be something really small. It was the rear middle seat belt when retracted into its little housing in the roof headliner. If the metal end of the seat belt hook goes into the roof headliner, I guess it will come in contact with the roof metal.
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

yeah, we have that covered....whether or not the seatbelt is retracted, the noise is still there
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: 2.5i Touring
This will sound too easy but take the car for a test-drive with the license plate removed.

Ed
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 01:39 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester 2.5 Premium
^^^^You know, that's a good idea!
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

ruled out the license plate....the vehicle is at the dealer, awaiting arrival and installation of a "trim panel" according to my service advisor

post #11 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 04:26 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: FXT
Transmission: 5MT
Dig around where your spare tire and jack and such are, might find a rattle in there. Happened to me last week, was my tow hooks laying on top of each other.
post #12 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

update: July 21, 2017

Okay, so here is where I am with my Forester noise.....the dealership installed a "trim panel" in the rear compartment.....I picked up the car, and all was quiet....until a bit of driving (maybe 15 minutes or so), and the same noise as always returned. (part of the problem is that commonly the car will not make the noise unless the car is warm.....not as in engine temp, but as in it's been driven when it is warm outside)
I was resigned to just living with it, but since I just can't let it go, I phoned Subaru USA and spoke with a customer satisfaction rep. I told him that despite the dealership's earnest efforts, I have a persistent noise issue after 3 supposed repairs have been effected.
He said that he would reach out to my local dealer and would get back to me in 2 days. Like clockwork, in 2 days, I get a call back from the Subaru USA guy, who tells me that a regional Subaru Rep will be contacting me for an inspection drive of my Forester next week.
Hope springs eternal!!
Anyways, the noise is still there, and I am, at this point, looking forward to having the regional rep hear the noise and address the issue.
subatron likes this.
post #13 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 01:46 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleJ View Post
Dig around where your spare tire and jack and such are, might find a rattle in there. Happened to me last week, was my tow hooks laying on top of each other.
^ This. I've seen this effect other make/model vehicles. Pull everything out of the spare tire well and re-mount.

2016 2.5i

Past:
'14 XVCrosstrek
'12 Legacy
post #14 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 02:49 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: MY08
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: Auto
Just a thought.....might it be the 'U' shaped catch that the rear hatch 'clips' to when shut? It can be adjusted a little to tighten it but it might explain the 'metal on metal' sound that you are experiencing....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forester14-cargo17.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	422418  
post #15 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 05:02 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHatton View Post
Just a thought.....might it be the 'U' shaped catch that the rear hatch 'clips' to when shut? It can be adjusted a little to tighten it but it might explain the 'metal on metal' sound that you are experiencing....
+1
My new forester (none power tailgate) had a clanky noise coming from the rear on rough roads, adjust the striker plate in slightly and no more noise. The latch was rattling on the strike plate.

ISLE OF MAN TT. Because Real Sport Takes Two Balls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty