• 1 Post By Maxwedge

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Premium
Transmission: Lineartronic® CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stahlbus Valve Installation

There is a Fumoto thread, but I recently purchased a lesser-known competitor to the Fumoto. Today I installed a Stahlbus oil drain valve. I thought it deserved its own thread.

Full disclosure, today this was installed on a 2013 VX Crosstrek, but I bought three - one for the XV, my '12 Impreza, and the new '19 Forester. They are all the same size: M16x1.5x12mm.

I think it looks great. One concern I had about the Fumoto was it protruding past the undercarriage and being torn off - there are numerous videos and post on this. It had me worried. This valve sits perfectly, and is recessed plenty with no concern of getting caught.

These two videos were the selling point for me, from a guy that had a Fumoto on a Jeep and replaced it with a Stahlbus:

I am very eager to see how well this valve works in another 6,000 miles when I do the next oil change! I plan to update this post then.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 21.29.20.jpg (214.8 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:54 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
The Fumoto on my XT doesnt sit below anything, its tucked up under the stock skid plate.

gathermewool and jmw15 like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 03:33 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Transmission: CVT
This is awesome. I just changed the oil yesterday. I have EZ oil drain valve and it is ALWAYS a struggle to remove the clip and open the valve. I may seriously consider this one to replace EZ oil drain valve with.
Edit: Seems expensive for what it is, double the price of EZ or Fumoto.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:44 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5-speed manual
This is a product that I personally find unnecessary. That being said, if I were to chose such a product I would go with the Stahlbus brand because they appear to be well made and designed, but most importantly they have been granted "TÜV approval" and are, therefore, street legal in Germany and the rest of the EU by the TÜV Rheinland Group.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:32 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: XT Premium
Interesting product. The way the drain plug is oriented any valve like this does not protrude down and isnt exposed to anything scraping the under carriage, its more of a 45 degree rearward angle. This product would protrude just as much as a Fumoto. I have 35k miles with a Fumoto and zero issues, including some trails in Moab. I expect this product would be just as safe as a Fumoto in all but the gnarliest of off-road situations
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:37 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: CVT
That is a nice looking design, but involves more parts to get lost in the garage, and as subiesubieDOOO mentioned the Fumoto doesn't hang lower than the skids. It doesn't hang any lower than the Stahlbus shown here, but it's nice to have choices. Note - the Fumoto SX-style part shown in that Jeep video is much bulkier than the F101, F101S or F101N styles we typically put on our Subies.
gathermewool likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Transmission: Lineartronic® CVT
Well, I got the Stahlbus valve installed on the Forester, as well as on my 2012 Impreza. A bit uneventful at this point. I'm looking forward to the next oil change!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0623.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	510783  

Last edited by supasta; 06-02-2019 at 12:59 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:42 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester XT Sport
I just replaced my fumoto with no spill systems compact model on my 08 fxt. Fumoto did sit low and was unable to install an aluminum skidplate. Design is similar to this stahlbus. Price is about the same for both. Thanks for your review
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode