User Tag List

17Likes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shut Down Procedure?

A few times recently I've noticed the wife pull into the driveway, shut down the engine, and then slip the car into Park...

I suppose I'm stupid but I always put the car into Park, engage the parking brake, and then turn off the engine...

Is she doing any damage???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:53 PM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
Doesn't matter about the engine but parking brake before "Park" Don't want the load on tranny.

Be careful what you wish for.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:01 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Transmission: CVT
Sometimes I put the car in a parking spot, put the transmission in neutral, engage the parking brake, and then turn the engine off. And then I remember I'm not driving a manual transmission any more and I have to put it in park and hit the start button however many times to turn all the electronics off.
Fate likes this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:23 PM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

@Botnik

You do not need to start it. Key to "on" foot on brake, emergency brake on...move to Park.

Last edited by Kevin; 06-07-2019 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Unnecessary use of Quote
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:06 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Doesn't matter about the engine but parking brake before "Park" Don't want the load on tranny.
OK. Let me see if I understand this:

Putting on the 'parking brake' after putting the car in park is bad for the transmission?
adc likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:53 PM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

@duffy_12

Depends if you keep your foot on the brake untill the very end. All I can say is that on a hill you do not want "Park" to be holding the car.

For instance if you park on a hill put it in park..release the brake (now park is holding the vehicle=bad) and even if you put the parking brake on at this point there is pressure on the tranny. The Tranny is really not "made" to hold the vehicle. Yes many people do it. But Me, my wife, and kids I taught to drive don't. I don't care about others. They can do as they please.
ForesterBill, Fate, NinoS and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Kevin; 06-07-2019 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Unnecessary use of Quote
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:37 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester X and XT
Transmission: Manual and Auto
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
@adc This is how I've always treated the situation. Just always seemed like a bad idea to repeatedly bump against whatever makes "Park" hold the car in place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:53 PM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinoS View Post
@adc This is how I've always treated the situation. Just always seemed like a bad idea to repeatedly bump against whatever makes "Park" hold the car in place.
Yup

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:32 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
You do not need to start it. Key to "on" foot on brake, emergency brake on...move to Park.
I don't start it. I just press the button to cycle through the various modes to get to "off."
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:35 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy_12 View Post
Putting on the 'parking brake' after putting the car in park is bad for the transmission?
What I do is position the car where desired, engage the parking brake, put the transmission in neutral, gently release the brake pedal enough so that the car slowly rolls, wait for the slack to disappear and the parking brake is holding the car in position, then put the transmission in Park and turn the engine off.

I don't like "electric parking brakes" because they take forever to actuate.

Subyroo, Fate, Flarpswitch and 2 others like this.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:04 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnik View Post
What I do is position the car where desired, engage the parking brake, put the transmission in neutral, gently release the brake pedal enough so that the car slowly rolls, wait for the slack to disappear and the parking brake is holding the car in position, then put the transmission in Park and turn the engine off.

I don't like "electric parking brakes" because they take forever to actuate.
This

2017 XT Premium QBP
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:25 PM
Casper reincarnated

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Honda CR-V AWD
Transmission: 5 Sp A/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnik View Post
If you follow the above everytime you park the car it becomes 2nd nature and you won't be caught out trying to remember the correct procedure to unlock the transmission from the Park position when it is holding the weight of the car and you can't move the gear lever.

Peter

2016 Honda CRV AWD
Ex 2003 XS Forester
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:48 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: forester
Same as above for me as well. I always keep my foot on the main brake til the very end.

The higher, the fewer.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:57 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: FXTT; '15 Legacy 2.5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm a big proponent of letting the parking brake take up the slack before selecting Park, but I honestly don't care what my wife does.

She's so weak with the parking brake lever, that I told her she should either put some *** into it or not even bother.

The parking pawl is plenty of strong and 95% of people don't use their parking brake.

I use the parking brake in our FXT 100% of the time, because it's easy to use the brake lever.

I use the parking brake in my Legacy only when I park on a hill. I broke myself of the habit of using it 100% of the time, because:

1. It's 100% unnecessary on flat ground and

2. I don't want to wear out the mechanism.
-----I use it enough to exercise the thing, so I'm not worried about sticking due to DISuse, either.
SuperRu likes this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:17 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester XT
I am surprised that the proper method for parking on a hill was not mentioned. When uphill you cramp your steering wheels to the left and ease the vehicle back until the right tire rests against the curb, (if there is one) then it makes no difference in which order you engage the handbrake or the transmission park position. When parking downhill you turn the front tires hard right and roll forward until it is up against the curb (again, if there is one). In rural areas, where there are no curbs, this is not possible, of course.

My habit has always been to keep my foot on the brake as I slide my tranny lever to PARK, engage the handbrake, then take my foot off of the brake pedal. I have been doing it this way for both my ATs as well as my manuals for 58 years, not because I don't trust the pawls, but because it's a pain in the butt trying to take it out of P with pressure on the parking pawl.

Now, I have built many an automatic tranny in my time so here is an interesting factoid: Contrary to common thinking, the primary purpose of the transmission's "Park" position (and parking pawl) is to keep the engine's power from reaching the drive wheels when the engine is running, not to stop the vehicle from rolling when parked - this is the job of the e-brake.

Transmission shops will always tell you to engage the e-brake first to keep stress off of the pawl. Not because it will harm the tranny, but because it will wear out the pawl faster and it ain't cheap to open up a tranny to replace a pawl. Parking pawls are very well made compared to the old days. Nevertheless, don't count on them primarily.
Flarpswitch likes this.

Mike Harrington, 2009 Forester XT, Black, Navi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode