('19+) Safety concern about 2019 Power Lift Gate Operation - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmw15

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Safety concern about 2019 Power Lift Gate Operation

I am concerned that the power lift gate on my 2019 Forester could harm someone who might get in the way of the gate opening or closing -- it seems to be a lot more powerful than other cars. The manual says there is a sensor strip on the door edge designed to detect a overhanging bag (or finger) when closing, and the door will reverse. My concern is about a small child in the way of the door opening or closing where the door would strike the kid before the strip is detected. I've tested the door to see if it reverses by itself (by holding the door, for instance). Turns out, the door does reverse, but only after much pressure. Has anyone looked into this, or maybe, is there something that I can do to adjust the sensitivity of the amount of pressure needed to reverse the door?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:40 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Touring with Eyesigh
Transmission: CVT
I believe you are over concern. If it keep you up at night, see it the dealership disconnect the lift gate electrical connection. I had this on my Touring for years and haven't had any problems you stated. My only issue is sometimes it doesn't want to engage which is usually the mat sliding to far back.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Looking for Real Input please

Is this real? Yes. Am I looking for actual help here, yes.

I'll give you another example: Anyone standing too close to the car with the hatch open, presses the close button on the door, and the power lift activates and closes the door -- right on top of the persons head who was distracted and not paying attention. The reversing strip on the door edge wouldn't have activated, and the only thing that would cause the door to reverse (& open) would be the door stopping due to the persons head in the way. I believe that the power mechanism is so strong, that it would cause an injury.

Another example: Kids playing in the driveway, pushes the button on the door to open it, and it hits them in the face with considerable force. If the car is locked and the fob is not nearby, this won't happen (opening with the button), right? So the car should always be locked?

Another example: Grocery store parking lot, should the driver always stand back from the door, and watch it close to insure no one (like darting kids) is around who might be hit by the closing door?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:20 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Premium
Transmission: Lineartronic® CVT
Garage
@danwsmith : The power option is likely the safest for the closing scenarios since the non-powered gate has no auto-reverse function at any amount of force. Think about it this way, with non-powered, would you just blindly close it with people nearby, especially right under the gate? I don’t. Same with powered, check your surroundings and give warning when necessary. Regarding kids, lock your car. And keep the key far enough away from the vehicle when not in use. If a kid is able to open the gate, what would stop them from getting in the car and exposing themself to even greater risks? Teach them well and warn them of dangers.

- Chris
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:36 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
We are all trying to help you here.
I cannot attest to the sensor strip on the gate but I do know for a fact that there’s a force sensor attached somewhere.
If you close the gate and hold the gate it will reverse.
It’s that simple.
As others have echoed, check your surroundings first.
Your concern about kids closing the gate. Well, they would have to be some really y’all kids to be able to reach the button...

With the placement of the button(s) you can’t really accidentally push it.
I do find it humorous on occasion that no one ever complains about their Garage Door falling on someone. It has reverse sensing tech as well. Same principle. Keep those who have no business operating the gates away from the controllers.

As mentioned before by another member, discuss your concerns with your dealer if you still want to address the issue(s).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks for your input here. I do wish there was a way to adjust the sensitivity of reversing action - because that's really the only thing that will protect a person from injury - not the sensing strip. As it's set now, people should be aware that it's much stronger and less sensitive than other similar power hatches, and requires more caution.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:59 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Touring
My automatic garage door is just as dangerous as my power lift gate, except my garage door doesn’t flash lights or sound an alert when starting to move.
coregrind likes this.

2019 Touring -Red
2019 Touring - Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode