User Tag List

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil change extraction pumps

Anyone use one?

I have a 2012 Forester, and it's become increasingly difficult to find a place where I can do an oil change.

My HOA frowns on it, but I think I'd have a better time of it using an extractor pump rather than the pan under the drain plug approach. And, using the extractor, it wouldn't be quite so obvious.

I'm looking at brands like Liquivac, Attwood, Hydro-Turf, etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 04:24 AM
Emeritus Forum Staff

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: XS
Transmission: 4EAT
You'll have to read through some of these as they may not be model specific to what you have listed. Using the search criteria of oil extraction pumps in the Google Custom Search feature I found these threads and posts - Browse our huge repository of Forester information! - oil extraction pumps

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 04:49 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT Touring
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kframe19 View Post
I have a 2012 Forester, and it's become increasingly difficult to find a place where I can do an oil change.

My HOA frowns on it, but I think I'd have a better time of it using an extractor pump rather than the pan under the drain plug approach. And, using the extractor, it wouldn't be quite so obvious.
I've never used one, so I can't help on that. As for more information, in Google, type in the following string and you should get a bunch of hits:

oil extraction site:subaruforester.org

I use this technique a lot - finds all sorts of things. For some odd reason, the built-in search engine on this site never works for me.

Look around your area for a DIY garage, where you can rent a bay for an hour or so. Most military bases have Auto Craft Shops (or Auto Hobby Shops) that provide you with a bay plus basic tools - a good reason to join the military!

Suggest to the HOA that _they_ create/rent a space or bay for minor auto servicing. You are not alone - there are other residents who want to do this same thing. Become president of the HOA and you can force this through!

Find a local Subaru group and inquire if they know of an available service bay for DIY activities. Since a lot of Subaru types work on their vehicles continuously - particularly STi owners - they will probably know the terrain. Or, maybe they will loan you the empty bay in their garage (since their wife has probably move out because of the time they spend working on the #$%^& Subaru automobile)

If you get a Fumoto oil valve, it will make draining a bit easier (and quicker) - useful for stealth draining at 3:00am. If you get the Fumoto with a nipple, you can attach a hose and route the drained oil to another location (e.g. under your neighbor's car ;-}

Or, just go to any AutoZone store and drain the oil right in their parking lot. You won't need a drain pan - just drain it on the ground. Well, that's what they do at two local AutoZones.

2005 FX
2006 FXT
2012 FXT

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks, guys, I always forget about the custom google search. It does a much better job at finding topics than VBulletin's search.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: FXT
Transmission: slush-box
oil extractor

I have this:

Mityvac Fluid Evacuator — 2.3 Gal. Reservoir, Model# MV7201 | Oil Extractors| Northern Tool + Equipment

Although if I remember, I got it through Amazon.....

works well, used to change the oil every time using this when I had my 2000 M5 (they have the oil filter at the top of the engine compartment, easy to get at).

Not as much use now because with my 2010 FXT I still have to climb under to get the filter.....

Jeff
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I ended up buying the Attwood pump from Amazon. $35 and change.

It came Friday. It seems to produce a very good vacuum.

I've not used it yet, as it's been so freaking hot here the last couple of days, but I'm hoping that it will cool off enough this evening that I can get the oil changed.

I'm going with Valvoline full synthetic 0W-20 and the Fram Ultra Synthetic XG7317 oil filter.

I've used Valvoline oils for years, and the Fram filter seems to have good ratings.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 06:10 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester 2.5 Premium
Transmission: CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kframe19 View Post
I've not used it yet, as it's been so freaking hot here the last couple of days, but I'm hoping that it will cool off enough this evening that I can get the oil changed.
On a potentially positive note, it may be hot enough outside, that you won't have to warm up your engine before you change the oil!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Subaru Forester
Transmission: automatic
Used oil pump for years

i BOUGHT AN OIL PUMP ABOUT 12 YEARS AGO FOR MY bmw AND it works great. No need to get under the car since the filter is on top. But make sure that the engine oil is hot. I always check the extraction amount to confirm it is the capacity of the oil tank. Have not used it on my 2010 Forester because I need to get under for the filter. But planning to use it on my 2015 Forester which is on top. Main advantage of oil pump is that it is fast, do not need to go under the car, keep clean, does a good job. I researched it thoroughly before purchasing, and some of the guys said that after they did a full oil extraction they opened up the plug under the car and only a few drops came out. I would think that is true for the Forester, but check the amount extracted (I have a reading on the extraction canister.) A few drops or a half a cup I would not consider an issue if it remained.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 06:02 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 5spd
I got one of these over a year ago as a gift. Got it out today and tried it. It got maybe a quart of oil, and that was it.
Don't know if I'll bother trying it on my other cars, or if I'll just throw it in the trash. Kinda disappointed, it was an expensive gift. They also tend to sling oil everywhere, unless you're super careful.

Don't really see the point to using them after this failed attempt.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:05 AM
Forum Member

Unhappy Fram oil filter

Would not use a Fram filter on my lawn mower!they are junk.If not using a subie filter,then I would recommend a Wix for synthetic oil.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:09 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester 2.5 X
Quote:
Originally Posted by fouropposed View Post
Would not use a Fram filter on my lawn mower!they are junk.If not using a subie filter,then I would recommend a Wix for synthetic oil.
XG's rock, I run the 9688 - wire backed dual layer glass w/ metal end caps, yadayada
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...ram_XG9688_10k

I got an OEM Tools extractor for a drainless Nissan CVT, it works well, not sure the tiny tube would bottom out through the dipstick in my Subaru

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty