('09-'13) Newly purchased Ď09 XT - oil leak repair? - Updated! - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

4Likes
  • 1 Post By 2.5x_sleeper
  • 1 Post By UhOh
  • 2 Post By dave5358

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newly purchased Ď09 XT - oil leak repair? - Updated!

Iím sorry this will be a bit long but please bear with me.

So I bought a one-owner Ď09 XT with 119k from a dealer less than three months ago, and when I got it I noticed a bit of oil on the plastic cover under the front of the car but wrote it off to the mess made during an oil change. I kept an eye on the oil level every week and it may have been a bit low but nothing concerning, until yesterday I checked it and it was completely dry. There was oil all over the inside of the plastic cover and I was able to top it off this morning and get it to the dealer.

Fast forward to just now and theyíre telling me itís the valve cover and the gasket on the oil pan and the total cost will be $675 or so, because I still have the 90 day warranty from the dealer.

Now Iím wondering if I should contact SOA or is does the 675 on a newly purchased vehicle or does this seem like a fair deal? I donít want to be a real pain in the rear or complain but I bought this car from a dealer and obviously it had some problems when I got it, and now itís going to cost me 4 car payments to fix, from a legitimate Subaru dealer.

Thanks for any advice yíall can share.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:34 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd
Transmission: CVT
That doesn't sound like much of a warranty to me. What is the warranty suppose to cover?

2018 2.5i Ltd FB25 CVT; 2010 2.5X Ltd EJ253 4AT
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:56 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: 5 MT
Unless you bought the Subaru warranty from the Subaru dealer I doubt SOA would do much for a 10 year old car warranty wise. That price seems a bit high even with a warranty. If it's head gaskets leaking then $675 is a great deal.

Oil pan does not have a gasket it's sealed with a Silicone sealant. It could also be the Oil Breather plate leaking oil that requires engine removal. I don't recall if oil pan removal requires engine removal or not.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:06 PM
スーパー モデレーター

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
The pan in our '03 was removed & resealed, without removing the engine. It took 2 shops 3 tries & it still seeps. I wouldn't touch that pan, if you're not 100% sure it's leaking!

Sounds like time to get another shop to look it over & tell you what they find that needs to be repaired.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]
dave5358 likes this.

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno stock Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker104 View Post
Unless you bought the Subaru warranty from the Subaru dealer I doubt SOA would do much for a 10 year old car warranty wise. That price seems a bit high even with a warranty. If it's head gaskets leaking then $675 is a great deal.

Oil pan does not have a gasket it's sealed with a Silicone sealant. It could also be the Oil Breather plate leaking oil that requires engine removal. I don't recall if oil pan removal requires engine removal or not.
It’s the 90 day warranty from the Subaru dealer, biggest one in central Texas. Covers half the cost of parts and labor.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesterBill View Post
That doesn't sound like much of a warranty to me. What is the warranty suppose to cover?
It’s the 90 day warranty that came from the dealer with the vehicle. Covers half the cost of parts and labor.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:25 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: "L" - 231,000 mi.
Transmission: AT
I don't see that you have much choice, and time is running out. Have the selling dealer fix it.
HeyChris likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:28 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd
Transmission: CVT
See if you have an independent Subaru-only repair shop in your area. Go there for a second opinion and cost quote.

2018 2.5i Ltd FB25 CVT; 2010 2.5X Ltd EJ253 4AT
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks Forester bill, that’s what I was looking at doing next
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:37 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
Transmission: Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pflores7 View Post
Iím sorry this will be a bit long but please bear with me.

So I bought a one-owner Ď09 XT with 119k from a dealer less than three months ago, and when I got it I noticed a bit of oil on the plastic cover under the front of the car but wrote it off to the mess made during an oil change. I kept an eye on the oil level every week and it may have been a bit low but nothing concerning, until yesterday I checked it and it was completely dry. There was oil all over the inside of the plastic cover and I was able to top it off this morning and get it to the dealer.

Fast forward to just now and theyíre telling me itís the valve cover and the gasket on the oil pan and the total cost will be $675 or so, because I still have the 90 day warranty from the dealer.

Now Iím wondering if I should contact SOA or is does the 675 on a newly purchased vehicle or does this seem like a fair deal? I donít want to be a real pain in the rear or complain but I bought this car from a dealer and obviously it had some problems when I got it, and now itís going to cost me 4 car payments to fix, from a legitimate Subaru dealer.

Thanks for any advice yíall can share.
$675 for the repair, to me, from a Subaru dealership ...seems to be in the ballpark. I'd guess at least $500 to replace a valve cover gasket and remove/replace/reseal/re-gasket the oil pan. You're talking mostly labor here ...the only "parts" are the valve cover and pan gaskets ...the rest of it is labor. There may be the need to lift the engine some (as opposed to remove it) and so that's all labor.

It's highly unusual for a dealership ...or any used car dealer ...to include a warranty of any kind on a used car. It's 10 years old ...I just can't believe a dealership would warrant a car that old. But regardless, it sounds like you're out of the warranty period so you're out of luck. I mean if this happened 6 months after you bought it would be okay? Nine months? A year? At what point would you think you'd feel better about some surprise gasket replacements ...on a ten year old car?

Look, you bought a used car and the theme of the day when buying any used car is "Buyer Beware". You could have gotten a pre-delivery inspection at a local shop but you didn't; the thought this was a dealership perhaps clouded your judgement. And really? Just because you get a pre-delivery inspection doesn't mean something like this can't happen. You bought a used car, took a chance and ended up with a little surprise ...life's full of them and $h!+ happens.

I don't think talking to Subaru Corporate is going to get you anything but frustration ...or a chuckle ...the car is 10 years old. You bought it used. With some apparent warranty which most non-CPO used vehicles typically do not come with ...and the warranty is over. End of story.

Mike
'11 2.5X Premium
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:52 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: XT Touring
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.5x_sleeper View Post
The pan in our '03 was removed & resealed, without removing the engine. It took 2 shops 3 tries & it still seeps. I wouldn't touch that pan, if you're not 100% sure it's leaking!
This ^^^^^ is exactly on target. The oil level in the pan is below the seal. It is unlikely the pan is the source of your leak, so leave well enough alone.

Valve covers or spark plug holes are much more likely. After you have removed the engine under-cover (and left it off), clean the underside of the engine thoroughly. Aerosol brake cleaner works fine for this task. Then, drive the car and immediately check for fresh oil. You should be able to zero in on the leak source (most likely the valve covers).
Shrkb8 and Miker104 like this.

2005 FX
2006 FXT
2012 FXT
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Little bit of an update: they had the car a week, replaced the oil pan gasket and valve cover, then called to tell me it was the oil pump leaking (discovered when they resealed the engine and tested for leaks) and they needed to replace that also, for $800 my cost, with the 1/2 off parts and labor.
I fought that and ended up paying for just the valve cover and oil pan, which in hindsight was probably not even what was leaking.
Fast forward to now, one week after I got the car back and after they had it 15 days, and the car is still leaking. I have an appointment to take it in on Tuesday, seeing as it is just a few drops of oil a day. I have been cleaning the pan underneath and cleaning the engine and there is oil there every night so it is still dropping oil.
Any more advice would be Greatly appreciated.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:42 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT Auto
A good Subaru service center would have drained all of the oil, cleaned, refill and then check for leaks. You should not have to pay for incompetent work. Wow. That is really bad. I always do pump seals with TB.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Another update:
When I purchased the car they replaced the power steering pump. After I dropped it off a few days ago they are now telling me the power steering lines are leaking and it will cost $800 to fix, but they’ll give it to me for a discount , $450.
They are now offering me my money back, in full, towards another vehicle in inventory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode