User Tag List

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 08
Car Model: fsxt
Transmission: 5spd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Louder gurgly idle sound?

I noticed my car seeming to make a louder gurgly idle sound than usual. It might be in my head, but wanted someones opinion. Car is stock and I have not noticed any performace differences. The idle is steady, but it just seems louder in my cabin. Weirdly, I cant really hear it from the engine bay. Attached is a video. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:58 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester 2.5 Premium
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Your video is kind of quiet, but when I turn it up I can kind of hear a pulsating sound like 3 or 4 times per second. In the past, I've used a long (like 2 ft or better) screwdriver, putting the metal tip to the thing you want to listen to and put the plastic handle part up to your ear. If the thing you are pointed to is vibrating (making noise) at all, you will hear it in the handle. Good luck!

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 08
Car Model: fsxt
Transmission: 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeSubie View Post
Your video is kind of quiet, but when I turn it up I can kind of hear a pulsating sound like 3 or 4 times per second. In the past, I've used a long (like 2 ft or better) screwdriver, putting the metal tip to the thing you want to listen to and put the plastic handle part up to your ear. If the thing you are pointed to is vibrating (making noise) at all, you will hear it in the handle. Good luck!
Yeah, sorry my audio sucks on my phone. But it is that pulsating sound you mentioned. Wondering if it is an indicator or something bad coming up. So far no check engine lights and I can't pinpoint were its coming from with the hood open. Thanks though.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:17 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester 2.5 Premium
Transmission: CVT
Garage
@masahiro my guess is something that is rotating quickly is making that noise. Best case would maybe be one of the pulleys being run by the belt, but you would be able to confirm or rule that out by listening with the probe like I suggested. Your year Forester has a timing belt, which also rotates quickly like that, but I'm not sure there's a way to check on that without opening the engine. A good mechanic could probably narrow it down without too much labor involved. Good luck.

Last edited by ShadeTreeSubie; 04-25-2019 at 09:20 AM. Reason: MY '08 has a timing belt not chain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode