('09-'13) Help! - Subaru claiming need to replace a belt and pulley. - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

4Likes
  • 3 Post By SuperRu
  • 1 Post By DragonSubie7

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: FORSTER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help! - Subaru claiming need to replace a belt and pulley.

Hi,

Thanks for reading. 2012 Forester manual transmission.

We failed the oil consumption test and received a new engine early January. After the winter... when the weather got warmer when we stopped using the defroster and we opened our windows (about six weeks ago), we noticed that the car would make swelling sounds when we first started it in the morning (would last at least like 5 minutes!). I called Subaru when I noticed the sound about six weeks ago to make a note about it thinking it was due to the new engine install.

The noise seemed to be getting worse (maybe because of all the rain) and we took it to the dealership.

THEY CLAIM... that we need to replace one of the belts and a pulley. I would think that these parts were not installed correctly when the engine was installed, but the dealership says it has nothing to do with the engine? and "it is wear and tear" And of course they want me to pay! It's a little over $300.00.

I *****ed and complained and they offered to take off the labor and said the parts cost about $180.00 and want us to pay the $180.00.

I want your advice, I would think that all the belts would be reconnected to the engine when we got the new engine due to the oil consumption test and that these sounds are due to the engine not being fully installed properly (belts were not tight?).

We just installed a backup camera and a radio with android auto and we love this car!

What is your opinion? The car has about 77K right now and we also replaced the clutch a month before we go the new engine.

The clutch pedal would not go up, I thought it was the master cylinder but they claim the clutch had catastrophic damage and completely needed to be replaced, that cost us about $2k.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Were the existing belts on your to be replaced original motor replaced with new belts, or did they reuse the belts that were on your original engine when they replaced it with a long block because they were acceptable in terms of wear at the time? Were they the original belts or did you replace them at some point in the last seven years before you got your new long block?

Last edited by karlaudi; Yesterday at 05:27 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
admin

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I'd just get them fixed and still be happy about the brand new engine.
dave5358, Tomfdx and titleman like this.

His...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hers...19 Outback Limited 3.6R
Our daughter...07 OB

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 07:31 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: Auto
@JoshuaNH
The short block replacement doesn't include anything outside the cases.
Many people have the heads done at the same time, but that cost is not covered on the short block replacement.
Parts wear out, and these include belts, so unlikely you are going to convince the shop they are responsible.
The quote seems high to me, and if you think you are being gouged - Go somewhere else.
Get a second opinion.
The clutch sounds like bad timing. It could have been done when the engine was pulled, but you said it failed before the short block.
Unfortunate, but not the shops fault.
Again, on a major repair, why not get a second opinion.
Dealers are usually the most expensive places to have work done, unless it is warranty work for free.

In your case, complaining to the dealer sounds like a waste of time.
Get a quote on the belt replacement and go from there. It will likely cost less than at the dealer.
dave5358 likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: FORSTER
Thank you for your replies. This is my wife's car and I can't afford taking it to a garage to be fixed because if there are issues afterwards my wife will freak on me… to me it's worth it to bring it to the dealer cause of the customer service (even though this is completely against my ideology). I will pay for the pulley and belt ($180.00), like I said they will not charge me the labor ($120.00). We brought them the car yesterday and they gave my wife a free rental and the car is still not ready... they are also doing the airbag recall. Regarding the car noise, all I can say is that the car never made any noises until the engine was swapped due to the oil consumption. I believe because it was the winter we never noticed it the noise until about six weeks ago.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 08:22 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5-speed manual
A Dealer is a franchise and, therefore, an independent business, like any other. Like any business they are only as good as they want to be. I find a Dealer I like and that meets my standards and I stick with them. Easy to do in my home state of Northern California than here where I now live in New York. Here in New York I drive 35 miles to a VW /Audi Dealer because they are better than the one near where I live. The one I go to I a give a 9. The one I don't, a 6. The lowere ranked dealer is not bad, it is just that they are not al good for my needs and expectations.

As for the Forester I bought for my daughter, I have two dealers about equal distance from my home. I picked the one, as it turned out, sold the Forester I have now originally. So far so good. The service advisor is first rate and as I was a new customer she had her best mechanic check out the Forester right after I first got from a local Hyundai Dealer. I did not need to ask.

I use to be in the trade and worked for both VW Dealers and independent shops in my youth. I have taken my cars to only Authorized Dealers for more than two decades now and frankly most Dealers get it (finally!) and the service and support from Dealership and the manufacturer at the Dealership level is hard to beat in my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty