('06-'08) Is this the end? Oil Consumption and CEL - Page 3 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

15Likes

post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:10 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester X and XT
Transmission: Manual and Auto
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mentioned on here alot, but my 03X has now driven near 100k additional miles needing a quart at least every 1000miles - had HG and all seals done, still burns oil. Car is still doing great in my daughter's care now (She actually keeps the oil topped off thank god). When i saw you mentioned "still on the dipstick" I was thinking "shoot that's cause for celebration!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinoS View Post
Mentioned on here alot, but my 03X has now driven near 100k additional miles needing a quart at least every 1000miles - had HG and all seals done, still burns oil. Car is still doing great in my daughter's care now (She actually keeps the oil topped off thank god). When i saw you mentioned "still on the dipstick" I was thinking "shoot that's cause for celebration!"
I would have a heart attack if I pulled the stick out and there was nothing on it. Seriously...I'd probably pass out.

NinoS likes this.

'07 X 2.5 EAT
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:09 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: 5 speed
I wouldn't take the word/advice of an oil change place for anything. They are minimum skilled and hungry to upsell.
Miker104 and ayrton like this.

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I don't take the oil change places seriously other than changing the oil and filter. My fluids and such are done according to the schedule I dictate and/or Subaru's recommended service. The mechanic I took it to is a shop of 4 or 5 mechanics who are Subaru certified mechanics and overall Subaru enthusiasts. If I remember correctly, his reputation stems from having worked at this particular shop for years and then purchasing it from the original owner. At anyt given time his shop is a hornet's nest of Subarus going in and out as he is one of only a handful of local guys who know what they are doing with a Subaru.
from what I saw on his lot he has apparently bought every used Subie in the area and is either using them for parts or in some cases repairing and selling them. We even discussed a car for my son who will be driving in 3 years and is already looking at used Subarus .

'07 X 2.5 EAT
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:11 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Transmission: 5-speed manual
The cruise control goes out when the CEL comes on, or when the CEL is on with blinking cruise, indicating an exhaust emission problem.

That's no problem, drive on. You're better off without cruise control anyway.

When I'm at the wheel I'm the only one allowed to control the car. Much safer that way.

Yes, get the radiator and change it when you have time. It will crack across the header tank and lose coolant, there will be signs of green ooze drying around the tank when it's about to die. But not if it's cracking at the bottom, which I don't know about at all, mine have always gone at the top.

I think it's cold winters that kill them quicker.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Everything checked out ok. Code hasn't returned. Radiator is ok at this time but that might be a nice summer project while I'm on vacation, especially since it is a relatively inexpensive undertaking and will be an excuse to change the hoses too. I live on cruise control. Keeps me from getting pulled over.

'07 X 2.5 EAT
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:48 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester Premium X
Transmission: AT
I've been burning 1qt every 2000 for like 80,000 mi now. Just check it every 1000 mi or so and you should be fine. My problem is when i put 3000mi on in a month. :)
Miker104 likes this.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:40 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: 5 MT
You can always remove the negative battery cable to clear the Check Engine Light, or buy a OBDII code reader from Harbor Freight. Definitely change the PCV valve with a Subaru part to see if that helps with the oil consumption.

Oil change place was trying to upsell you with "Sludgy Oil" and their flush crap. Personally I would switch to a high mileage synthetic oil and do it yourself buy YMMV.

Main issue is to keep checking the oil fairly regularly and top up as required. Subs of that vintage were known to have oil leaks through HGs but since you have already replaced them it shouldn't be an issue?
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Just wanted to follow up - No CEL since swapping the cap. Next oil change will see a new PCV valve installed. Since I'm not seeing the oil level drop until well after an oil change, I'm curious if it's partially due to the oil breaking down toward the end of its useful life. Will just keep an eye on it and add as needed.

'07 X 2.5 EAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode