Can hauling gas can set off check engine light? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
mnb
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can hauling gas can set off check engine light?

Had a strange occurance/coincidence today with my 04' Forrester... I put an empty diesel can in the back to pick up some desiel while running errands. I had one stop to make first and it was warm outside, so diesel fumes built up in the closed car while I was at the first stop. I aired the car out, but when I started it, the "Check Engine" light came on

The manual indicates that a steady check engine light is associated with an emissions system error. Is it possible that the two things are related? Could a sensor have confused the desiel fume build up with an emissions problem?

That would seem really strange to me... but the coincidence is really stunning...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 04:03 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: XT Touring
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb View Post
Had a strange occurance/coincidence today with my 04' Forrester... I put an empty diesel can in the back to pick up some desiel while running errands. I had one stop to make first and it was warm outside, so diesel fumes built up in the closed car while I was at the first stop. I aired the car out, but when I started it, the "Check Engine" light came on

The manual indicates that a steady check engine light is associated with an emissions system error. Is it possible that the two things are related? Could a sensor have confused the desiel fume build up with an emissions problem?

That would seem really strange to me... but the coincidence is really stunning...
It is a stunning coincidence, but just a coincidence. The warm weather may have done something to the pressure in your gas tank. What CEL code were you getting?

2005 FX
2006 FXT
2012 FXT
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
mnb
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hi all,

Just a quick follow-up. I don't have a code reader (yet) so I don't know what code it was throwing. It was a warm day by our standards here in NW Washington for May - lower 70's... and the tank had not been filled recently. The CEL cleared itself after a couple of days of driving. Seems like a pretty strange coincidence... I'm half-way tempted to repeat the situation just out of curiosity :-)

Still, I think I'll avoid having hydrocarbon fumes build up in the passenger compartment from now on... even when parked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode