('14-'18) A/C not cooling - oily yellow drip from condensate drain tube - Updated! - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By ErnieX
  • 1 Post By Kevin

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A/C not cooling - oily yellow drip from condensate drain tube - Updated!

Hello everyone. First posting here, hope someone has some info.Working on my wife's '16 forester's a/c. Getting an oily yellow drip from the condensate drain tube.Thinking it's compressor oil. A/C has stopped cooling. Pretty sure it's a leaking evaporator. Checking to find in service date to see if still under warranty (under 36k). Anyway, if not I'll be fixing. Looks like evaporator can be accessed from under passenger side dash I'm hoping. Any tips would be appreciated.

This is our first Subaru so not fully familiar with everything. One question I have is that I don't see a receiver/dryer or accumulator anywhere in the a/c system. Never seen one without but this is my first Japanese car. Does it not have one?

Looking forward to being a member here and always willing to help where can.

Thanks in advance. Ernie

Natedog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Took car to dealer to diagnose.They said the evap was leaking and compressor bearings were noisy. They want to replace evap and compressor to the tune of $1900. Called Subaru of America and they offered to pay $750 towards the repair leaving me $1150 to pay. Jeez, i could replace the entire system for half that or less. Looks like I'll be doing the repair myself.

Does anyone know if the evaporator can be replaced without removing the entire dash? It looks like it would slide out on the passenger side after removing glove box, blower motor and computer bracket, but would like someone to verify. Had NO replies to my first posting. Surely someone has some a/c knowledge about these cars. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks EE

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:37 PM
Administrator
Contributing Member

Car Year: MY03
Car Model: XS Premium / Luxury
Transmission: 4EAT w/diff lock
@ErnieX the removal steps you've defined works for my MY'03 so maybe it is similar for the MY'16? I hope so as removing the entire dash would be a real PIA!
Natedog likes this.

MY'03 XS AT offroad; MY10 Triton GLX-R
MY'97 Outback RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode