('09-'13) Buying the correct oil to top off my 2010 Forester - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying the correct oil to top off my 2010 Forester

Hi,

I have a 2010 Forester and don't know much about cars. I get my car serviced at a Subaru dealership that's a decent distance away. I wanted to buy some locally, or online, but I don't know exactly which to buy. I looked at my latest service paperwork and the oil they used was listed as Mobil Clean 5000 - 5W30. I tried looking online, but it seems that Mobil Clean 5000 isn't around anymore and I think I read it's just been renamed as Mobil Super 5000? So maybe the dealership just hasn't updated their computer system with the newest name?

I called the dealership and the man I spoke with did not want to help me much, but just wanted me to come in and buy the Subaru branded oil from them, but I said I wasn't close by. All he told me was that I needed semi-synthetic, but wouldn't recommend a brand, marketing name, etc.

Would Mobil Super 5000 be fine to buy? Is that a semi synthetic oil I can use?

Thank you for the help!

rashiki is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:21 AM
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sahuarita AZ USA
Posts: 971
Car Year: 2018
Car Model: SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mobil Super 5000 is just fine. In fact, you can use any conventional or semi-synthetic 5W-30 motor oil.

I, too, had a 2010 Forester and did my own oil changes. I used whatever major brand 5W30 oil happened to be on sale at the time. My 2010 is still on the road with over 200k miles and I never had an oil-related engine problem.


2018 2.5i Ltd FB25 CVT; 2010 2.5X Ltd EJ253 4AT
ForesterBill is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesterBill View Post
Mobil Super 5000 is just fine. In fact, you can use any conventional or semi-synthetic 5W-30 motor oil.

I, too, had a 2010 Forester and did my own oil changes. I used whatever major brand 5W30 oil happened to be on sale at the time. My 2010 is still on the road with over 200k miles and I never had an oil-related engine problem.
Okay. Thanks!
rashiki is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:13 AM
Forum Member
 
karlaudi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Metro NYC
Posts: 164
Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashiki View Post
Hi,

I have a 2010 Forester and don't know much about cars. I get my car serviced at a Subaru dealership that's a decent distance away. I wanted to buy some locally, or online, but I don't know exactly which to buy. I looked at my latest service paperwork and the oil they used was listed as Mobil Clean 5000 - 5W30. I tried looking online, but it seems that Mobil Clean 5000 isn't around anymore and I think I read it's just been renamed as Mobil Super 5000? So maybe the dealership just hasn't updated their computer system with the newest name?

I called the dealership and the man I spoke with did not want to help me much, but just wanted me to come in and buy the Subaru branded oil from them, but I said I wasn't close by. All he told me was that I needed semi-synthetic, but wouldn't recommend a brand, marketing name, etc.

Would Mobil Super 5000 be fine to buy? Is that a semi synthetic oil I can use?

Thank you for the help!


You can use any brand of conventional, semi-synthetic, or synthetic oil that meets Subaru's requirements for your engine, as stated in your Owner's Manual. Like my 2010 Forester, your engine was designed to use the American Petroleum Institute (API) Service Category “M” (SM) grade motor oil stating the phrase, “Resource Conserving”, with an Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) viscosity range of 5W-30, and a International Lubricant Specification Advisory Committee (ILSAC) classification of GF-4.

That same year, 2010, API "SM" oil became obsolescent and was replaced with the backward compatible "SN" classification and ILAC GF-4 was discontinued and replaced with GF-5.

So if you follow Subaru's primary requirement for motor oil you can currently use any brand of conventional, semi-synthetic, or synthetic oil that meets SAE 5W-30, API SN, ILAC GF-5 that states on the bottle the phrase, “Resource Conserving”.

There are actually three variations of API "SN" oil according to the API, with "API SN with Resource Conserving” but one variation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2010 Subaru Forester original motor specifications.pdf (489.1 KB, 7 views)
karlaudi is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:24 AM
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sahuarita AZ USA
Posts: 971
Car Year: 2018
Car Model: SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't know the mileage on the OP's car, but personally I wouldn't switch to full-synthetic motor oil on a high mileage engine that has not been using full synthetic oil all along.

2018 2.5i Ltd FB25 CVT; 2010 2.5X Ltd EJ253 4AT
ForesterBill is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have almost 79K miles on the car and I'm not looking to switch oils types at this time. I'm just looking to buy a quart of oil that matches what's in there right now to top off with. :)

So, if I understand correctly, as long as I buy a semi-synthetic (since that's what is in my car right now) that says SAE 5W-30, API SN, ILSAC GF-5, and “Resource Conserving”, then I'm good to go regarding buying 1 extra quart of oil to top off with, correct?

Thanks!
rashiki is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:47 AM
Forum Member
 
karlaudi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Metro NYC
Posts: 164
Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Except for maybe some single weight oils at the local auto part store, I doubt you will find any oil on the shelf that is not at least "SN". In a pinch any conventional, semi-synthetic, or synthetic SN SAE 5W-30 wt. oil will work to top off your motor until your next chance to change the oil. Subaru will allow SN GF-5 10W-30 and 10W-40 motor oils, if 5W-30 is not available.

Mixing any conventional, semi-synthetic, or synthetic with each other in the same engine is not ideal, but motor oils within a given viscosity grade /range and classification are fully compatible regardless of the base stock of the oil.

The most important thing is that you use SM/SN or better SAE 5W-30 motor oil. Most likely any SN SAE 5W-30 you buy will also meet GF-5. Just read the bottle labels to confirm. Some exceptions to this the will be SAE 5W-30 motor oils that are specifically designed to meet the requirement of VW, Audi, Porsche, BMW, etc. But here again the bottle label will tell you. I have three versions of 5W-30 for the cars currently in my Family. One for my 2018 VW Alltrack, one for my wife's 2009 MINI, and one for the 2010 Forester I recently bought to give to my oldest daughter.

I recommend keeping an extra quart or two of the oil you use on hand for topping off between oil changes.

Last edited by karlaudi; 05-20-2019 at 02:13 PM.
karlaudi is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlaudi View Post
Except for maybe some single weight oils at the local auto part store, I doubt you will find any oil on the shelf that is not at least "SN". In a pinch any conventional, semi-synthetic, or synthetic SN SAE 5W-30 wt. oil will work to top off your motor until your next chance to change the oil. Subaru will allow SN GF-5 10W30 and 10W-40 motor oils, if 5W-30 is not available.

The most important thing is that you use SM/SN or better SAE 5W-30 motor oil. Most likely any SN SAE 5W-30 you buy will also meet GF-5. Just read the bottle labels to confirm. Some exceptions to this the will be SAE 5W-30 motor oils that are specifically designed to meet the requirement of VW, Audi, Porsche, BMW, etc. But here again the bottle label will tell you. I have three versions of 5W-30 for the cars currently in my Family. One for my 2018 VW Alltrack, one for my wife's 2009 MINI, and one for the 2010 Forester I recently bought to give to my oldest daughter.

I recommend keeping an extra quart or two of the oil you use on hand for topping off between oil changes.
Okay. Great. Thanks.
rashiki is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:03 PM
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sahuarita AZ USA
Posts: 971
Car Year: 2018
Car Model: SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashiki View Post
So, if I understand correctly, as long as I buy a semi-synthetic (since that's what is in my car right now) that says SAE 5W-30, API SN, ILSAC GF-5, and “Resource Conserving”, then I'm good to go regarding buying 1 extra quart of oil to top off with, correct?
Mobil Super 5000 meets or exceeds the above specs:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-Sup...-1-Qt/17034377

Mobil Super 5000 is a semi-synthetic. Mobil Clean 5000 may have been conventional oil but don't let that prevent you from topping off with Super 5000.

2018 2.5i Ltd FB25 CVT; 2010 2.5X Ltd EJ253 4AT
ForesterBill is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesterBill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashiki View Post
So, if I understand correctly, as long as I buy a semi-synthetic (since that's what is in my car right now) that says SAE 5W-30, API SN, ILSAC GF-5, and “Resource Conserving”, then I'm good to go regarding buying 1 extra quart of oil to top off with, correct?
Mobil Super 5000 meets or exceeds the above specs:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-Sup...-1-Qt/17034377

Mobil Super 5000 is a semi-synthetic. Mobil Clean 5000 may have been conventional oil but don't let that prevent you from topping off with Super 5000.
Okay. Thanks again.

rashiki is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
('14-'18) Correct oil filter for 2017 Forester XT? metro_0888 Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty 41 12-04-2018 07:19 PM
Buying a 2010 Forester that's been towed behind an RV it's whole life jcnfh Forester Shopping 5 11-09-2017 01:59 PM
('09-'13) 2010 Forester Oil Leak - Realistic Optimists Needed Dr.Agonfligh Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty 10 04-30-2017 03:16 PM
('14-'18) Brand New Oil Burning Forester 6-Speed-Subie Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty 47 02-06-2017 07:53 PM
Question about Buying a 2010 Forester storyofagirl1054 Forester Shopping 7 11-13-2015 05:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome