• 1 Post By Donnie Howard

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester S
Transmission: Automatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ABS & Airbag Light on?

Hello all, new to the forum and the Forester. I just bought this morning a 2000 Forester with 109,000 miles on it. It has the airbag and ABS light on. The guy gave me a steering wheel airbag but the connections are different. Not sure how he came to the steering wheel bag was bad. I researched and found out about the connections under the seats but mine does not have the yellow ones, they are blue. My code reader can’t read airbag lights nor can it read ABS for Subaru.

Any help on where to look next would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by SuperRu; 05-24-2019 at 03:14 PM. Reason: fixed typo. Please fill in your info in your user control panel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:30 PM
スーパー モデレーター

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
@Donnie Howard I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

I'm going to assume you don't have a lit CEL.

You could have 2 separate issues. It might be advisable to address one fault at a time. Take a look at these threads:

ABS light stays on - any ideas?
How to fix Airbag light (replacing clocksprings/roll connector)

Also...
Quote:
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno stock Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that my cruise and horn still work. I had a CEL but was for a knock sensor and O2 sensor. It reset while driving but came back for the O2 sensor. I searched and found a chafed wire on the downstream sensor where it comes through the heat shield. I ordered a new O2 sensor and a new knock sensor just in case.

Could the clock spring be the problem even though I have the horn and cruise?

I also read the post about the ABS and noticed a broken ring on the drive shaft, can that be seen without tearing everything apart?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:45 AM
スーパー モデレーター

Quote:
Could the clock spring be the problem even though I have the horn and cruise?
@Donnie Howard first, I'm NOT saying your roll connector... aka, clock spring is bad. You're doing the "hands on troubleshooting", so you have to make the decision.

The roll connector has multiple wires... circuits, so it's possible for one wire to be broken & the other wires still be intact.

Also...
Quote:
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.
Bobby...

'95 Neon Sport
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. I understand that other wires could be fine and one be bad. How often do people have problems with these? When my F-250 clock spring went bad, the air bag light flashed the code on the dash. The Forester doesn’t do that, constantly steady. If it’s bad, $275 is going to be a hard pill to swallow on an $1,100 car. But at least it has low miles. Lol. I’ll have to get the code read I guess.

Also, I’ll have to wait until I can get on my laptop to update the info, it won’t let me do it on my phone.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:13 PM
スーパー モデレーター

Again, NOT saying the roll connector is bad, just throwing out a possibility. Note on that link I posted, @awesomeusername found a used one at a recycler... junkyard for $15.

As to an airbag light code. I believe the dealership can pull those with their Select Monitor?

Bobby...

'95 Neon Sport
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I understand completely. Thanks for the help. I’ll update when I figure it out. I’m not too concerned about it right, unless it doesn’t pass inspection to get it registered that is. Lol
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

After further review, I think I found my problem. I couldn’t find the airbag connectors under the seat, but while looking for a leak, I found a yellow connector with yellow plastic protector around the wires behind the passenger side footwell trim. The wire is just about completely broken where it goes into the plug due to the sharp bend. After it stops raining, I’ll try and repair it. Does anyone know if I can order that wire?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A70FA12D-14C8-4EB9-B442-D0A7B283736B_1558971302309.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	447.0 KB
ID:	510527   Click image for larger version

Name:	32E2F37D-5D74-4860-AD8C-F27FCD317363_1558971314706.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	504.0 KB
ID:	510529  
Shakeman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode