('14-'18) 2017 Forester - AC stopped working AGAIN - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

12Likes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Touring 2.5
Transmission: Auto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2017 Forester - AC stopped working AGAIN

Last year the Air Conditioner stopped working on the 2017 forester at ~10K miles and almost 1 year old. No cool air at all.

Dealership replaced the condenser.

Now, about a year later it is broken again!

I know there is a TSB out there for AC issues, but should it really be an annual thing? This is going to get expensive off warranty...

Anyone else need a second replacement already or is mine special?

Sounds from the first time:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:09 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: CVT
My AC stopped blowing cold 1/2 way through last summer (it's first summer). Dealership said there wasn't any refrigerant in the system, but couldn't find a leak anywhere (???). Topped it off for me and sent me on my way. I'll soon see how it works this year. If it needs any new lines or a compressor I sure hope it's before the warranty goes out.

Natedog likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:07 AM
EJH
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester XT
There is a TSB about the compressor clutch not staying engaged, so the A/C runs, but is not cold. I had my compressor assembly replaced per this TSB in summer 2016 and since then have had very cold A/C.

"TSB 10-84-16R A/C NOT BLOWING AS COLD"

Check out this thread:
https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...tioner-476689/
Natedog likes this.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:08 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.51 Tourin
When I took my '17 Touring in for some routine stuff at the dealer this past January, I mentioned that the AC was sometimes blowing room temp air. The service tech found that both of the AC compressor O-Rings were leaking & replaced them & recharged the system & so far, it's had no more problems.
Natedog and EJH like this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I looked at my service history - apparently it was September 30th of 2017 they replaced the AC condenser the first time.. so it really didnt last long this second time! First warm day of the year we noticed it.

Thanks for finding the TSB!
Natedog likes this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester
I bought a 2014 Forester last Fall and I'm having the warm AC blowing issue. I'm past the initial 60 day warranty that came with the purchase of a used vehicle and I did not buy an extended warranty. I've checked the serial # on the compressor itself and it's a June 2013 part. I read the 10-84-16R TSB and my VIN# isn't listed. Does anyone think Subaru will replace it under this TSB?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnishedGold View Post
I bought a 2014 Forester last Fall and I'm having the warm AC blowing issue. I'm past the initial 60 day warranty that came with the purchase of a used vehicle and I did not buy an extended warranty. I've checked the serial # on the compressor itself and it's a June 2013 part. I read the 10-84-16R TSB and my VIN# isn't listed. Does anyone think Subaru will replace it under this TSB?
If I recall... a TSB is not a recall and does not indicate a free repair. I would call SoA and ask about it.

My dealership had our forester for 8 hours just to tell us it needs a new compressor and is "leaking all over" as seen with a UV light. Gotta wait another week to get a new one put in when the part is in.
Natedog likes this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT Premium
See my thread in here.. I had the same issue last year my condenser was replaced.. now my AC is intermittent.

2017 XT here..
Natedog likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 10:37 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
I'm not sure is it the "new" r1234 refrigerant or is the Forester AC circuitry leaky but I had mine serviced and the system was empty, but no leaks found! Never before encountered this but ok, it's been r134 refrigerant in previous cars. This new stuff ought to be very very environmentally safe if it leaks so easily compared to earlier refrigants. It must be made from liquid gold or something as it is so expensive.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:27 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: FXT Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn View Post
I'm not sure is it the "new" r1234 refrigerant or is the Forester AC circuitry leaky but I had mine serviced and the system was empty, but no leaks found! Never before encountered this but ok, it's been r134 refrigerant in previous cars. This new stuff ought to be very very environmentally safe if it leaks so easily compared to earlier refrigants. It must be made from liquid gold or something as it is so expensive.
Our 2018 FXT Touring has R-134a.

'18 FXT Touring / '13 STI GV PBP / '11 FXT
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 06:19 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwedge View Post
My AC stopped blowing cold 1/2 way through last summer (it's first summer). Dealership said there wasn't any refrigerant in the system, but couldn't find a leak anywhere (???). Topped it off for me and sent me on my way. I'll soon see how it works this year. If it needs any new lines or a compressor I sure hope it's before the warranty goes out.
Yeah, no AC this summer again. I've been driving it for about 2 weeks and the "AC" is 87 degrees just like the outside air. Hoping to drop it at dealership next Tues or Weds after work.

My 2003 Dodge Dakota is 15 years old with 135K miles, and the all-original AC system with original coolant still blows cold. Come on Subaru!
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 04:27 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Is anyone having the warm AC issue at high speeds only? I was using it the other day and after I got onto the highway at 65+MPH (about 5 mins after local driving) the AC started blowing warm air. I had to slow down to about 35-40MPH for traffic and suddenly the air was blowing cold again. I'll be calling my mechanic after the holiday to test for leaks, etc. I'm just hoping I don't have to replace the whole compre$$or.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 12:58 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Download your owner's manual and you will see that the ECU shuts down the compressor briefly if you are under heavy load (such as climbing a hill), when you ease up it is supposed to re-engage. Thus my Forester is the first car I ever had where the AC does not hurt my gas mileage much. If shutting down with no reason there is a TSB out there for some cars re. AC clutch disengagement.
Natedog likes this.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:33 AM
Forum Member

Similar problem

New to the forum and new to Subaru maintenance. I am a first time new car owner (usually buy used) and I am disappointed that my ~new 2015 Forester has the exact same noise in this video, no noise when the AC is off, and no AC cooling when the car is idling. I cannot believe a 3 year old has had so many compressor problems.

I'll add that the strange part is that the AC works perfectly fine at high car speeds, and also at high RPM when the car is not moving. The condenser fan is running fine. This is the confusing part for me. Before I spend $1300 to replace the compressor, any ideas why it would be working perfectly fine at high RPM/velocities?
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 12:31 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Not being cold at idle could mean R-134 a little low. Have checked or buy gauges to check yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty