2015 - Forester XT / Goodbye - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
View Poll Results: Has your FA20DIT detonated?
Yes 1 25.00%
No 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 2015 - Forester XT / Goodbye

After ~66,000 miles and two blown motors I had to get rid of my 2015 XT.

I have owned over half a dozen turbo cars, including a couple of 2.0L turbos and I have never had as many problems as I did with my XT. That thing was a detonation machine, even with 92 octane and octane booster. It was totally stock with the exception of a K&N panel air filter. The first motor went at ~22K and the second one went at ~66K. FWIW - Subaru was willing to replace it under the 100K extended warranty but I didn't want to deal with it.

I traded it in a 2019 Legacy so I am not abandoning the brand. My ex-wife just picked up a 2019 Forester with the 2.5L N/A and I am sure that it will be fine.

But that first generation FA20DIT motor is way too problematic. If you still have one and have any concerns about it at all, trust your gut get and rid of it ASAP. If you are thinking about buying an Subaru with that motor (like the WRX), get a 2018-19+ where they have worked out all of the bugs. The guys at the dealership were pretty non-committal on the reliability issues with the motor.... until I decided to trade it in on the Legacy. Then they all admitted that they have been having a lot of problems with that motor and transmission.

As far as I can tell, the problem is that they are not properly cooled. The engine, transmission and turbo all share the same oil. Because it is a high pressure system, you cannot add a secondary oil cooler. There is simply no way to dissipate all of the heat that the motor makes. Heat + turbo = detonation.

It makes me sad. I was looking forward to modding it and driving it for a long time to come.

It's my hope that the new FA24DIT motor will prove itself and when the lease expires on the Legacy in 2022 I can pick up the new Legacy with that motor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode