('06-'08) 2006 XT died on the road - how to test fuel pressure? - SOLVED - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Banner

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 5spd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 XT died on the road - how to test fuel pressure? - SOLVED

So, I haven't been driving my forester much lately because my arm's in a brace for the next several months and I'd probably get a ticket for driving a stick with one hand.

But I had to pick up a freezer at lowes, so I hooked up the trailer, got the freezer, and halfway home it just ... died. Engine started stumbling and then it just went out. Trying to turn it over and it catches for a moment, then dies.

Oil is good. No idiot lights coming on. Engine wasn't overheating. Quarter tank of gas, but I put more in when I got it towed home and it still won't run.

My biggest problem is I'm one handed right now, so I can't work on it easily. One person suggested that the fuel pump is probably the culprit. Can that be changed without dropping the tank? I know I do need to find the test point on the fuel rail and check the pressure. Hopefully I can do that single handed.

Any other thoughts to what it might be?

It was a bit annoying though, I bought this car used in 2010, have put about a 100K miles on it, and it has never ever (until today) left me stranded on the side of the road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:58 PM
Administrator
Contributing Member

Car Year: MY03
Car Model: XS Premium / Luxury
Transmission: 4EAT w/diff lock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner View Post
One person suggested that the fuel pump is probably the culprit. Can that be changed without dropping the tank?

Yes, it's accessed from under the rear seat squab.

Check all related fuses as well as fuel pressure.

MY'03 XS AT offroad; MY10 Triton GLX-R
MY'97 Outback RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Next question, anyone know where I can hook up a pressure gauge to find out of the fuel pump is working? Is there a schraider valve on the fuel rail someplace?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:06 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: FXT-T
Transmission: CVT
You can listen for the fuel pump. Turn key to on but don't start it and you should hear a whirring noise for a few seconds if the pump is working.

How many miles on the timing belt?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I think there's about 40K on the current belt.
I hear something whine when I turn the key, but I can't tell where it's coming from, and it only lasts a couple of seconds.

The car starts, btw, but it only runs for about a half second, then just dies. Every single time you turn the key.

I heard someone say that if the fuel pressure regular fails for jsut a moment, the intank filter explodes and you get this very effect. So I really need to put a gauge on the fuel rail, and see what happens when I try to start it. But I don't know if that's possible on a subaru.

Also I can't work on it myself right now, the nearest dealer is a great distance away, (and I have no real experience with them, just moved here), and for all I know this may cost more to fix than the car is now worth. Just kind of frustrating to deal with it. I should go and try to pull codes just to see if there's anything there I guess.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

How do I test the Fuel Pressure on this car?

Okay, serious question: Exactly what gear do I need to test the fuel pressure on my XT, and exactly where (And how) do I hook it up?

The only tester I have is an old style, that screws onto the schrader valve on a fuel rail. Apparently that's not how they do it on subaru's.

From what i'm hearing, I need a special 'T' fitting that clips in line 'someplace'. I have no idea where that 'someplace' is, nor what the fitting I need is.

Thank you.

Edit - Never mind, figured it out with a bunch of research and ordered a new tester.

Last edited by Banner; 06-23-2019 at 06:35 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:52 PM
スーパー モデレーター

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
@Banner your new thread has been merged with this existing thread on the same subject, per the forum posting rules.

Forum Rules - Please read!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno stock Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Okay, got the new fitting so I could test the fuel pressure. (30 to 40 psi)
It's not the fuel pressure, fuel pressure is fine. If you feather the throttle while trying to start it, it stumbles a bit but it tries to run.

No codes being thrown by the computer.

ideas? Suggestions?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:42 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester STI
Transmission: MTX
Suspect that isn't it if it stumbles sometimes its a fuel or air metering problem. Your intake didn't pop off upstream of the airflow meter or something silly like that? I have had mine pop apart between the intercooler and the throttle body.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Nope, all the hoses are fine. Part of me was wondering if a seizing turbo could do that (I think turbos get replaced around 150K miles?)
If I have to send it to the dealer (Which will probably be pricey as the car would have to be flatbedded about 30 miles) I'd like to know what's wrong with it first. It's a thirteen year old car, and while I like it a lot, there's a limit on how much I'll spend to fix it.

Just annoyed that subaru doesn't do standards anymore. They've pretty much lost me as a customer. I had been looking at trading this in and buying something new.

Can you check the timing belt without having to pull everything off? I don't think you can, but thought I'd ask.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Something ate thru the air filter (It has a nice hole in it).
My guess is that whatever it was, went through the turbo and it now plugging the intercooler. I ran a borescope down the intake and the turbo seems to look okay, no idea if it survived eating whatever it ate (probably a mouse).

Turbo still spins. Not sure what I'm going to do next. It's $150 to get it to the dealer. Registration runs out soon and can't renew it if it's not running.

I should send it in to the dealer, but I can just see a $5000 bill to fix it.

Last edited by Banner; 06-25-2019 at 04:08 PM. Reason: because
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Replaced the MAF or whatever it's called on a hunch. That fixed it. I thought the car threw a code if that was bad, but apparently not.
Kevin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode