('03-'05) 05 XT Ran Regular Gas for 2.5k - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester XT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 XT Ran Regular Gas for 2.5k

Hello everybody. Yes, I know, this is really stupid, but while I was away for a few months my family used my 2005 XT automatic. Despite my clear instructions and the obvious label on the gas cap lid, apparently they were putting regular 87 octane fuel in it the WHOLE time I was gone, roughly 2,500 miles on the vehicle... I am back to using premium, everything appears to be fine and they reported no issues during that time, but I am wondering if any damage has been done or if there are certain things I should check/look out for now? Definitely the last time I let anyone use my Foz. I just want to know how f***** I am, or at least get enough info/perspective to continue driving with some peace of mind. Thanks ahead of time!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:04 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is would make me upset too, but unless you have a family of stop light dragsters who are prone to joyriding car abuse, given that your car was returned none the worse for wear, then you are alright. You could pull the spark plugs and see how they look and if normal then you should be OK.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:31 AM
スーパー モデレーター

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
@Blizbo you should be fine. The ECM will attempt to adjust for the lower octane fuel, but it can only do so much.

From the Owner's Manual:
Quote:
The 2.5-liter turbo engine is designed to operate using premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 AKI or higher. If premium unleaded gasoline is not available, regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI or higher may be temporarily used. For optimum engine performance and driveability, it is required that you use premium grade unleaded gasoline.
When I bought my '07 FSXT, the Chevy/Kia dealership had been running regular fuel in it. No ill effects from that. Of course I insisted they fill it up with premium for my 4 hour drive home!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno stock Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode