• 1 Post By Snow3d

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: FXT, LGT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dual tip exhaust ideas

All,

I was originally exploring figuring out how to get a dual exhaust for the '05 FXT. This looks like it might be possible but not particularly easy requiring some serious modifications of the rear bumper cover and such. So I've pretty much dismissed this.

However, I saw some videos of an XT with the Borla Hush exhaust on it and really liked the way it looks and the sound. It's dual tipped and looks just enough better than stock that I like it quite a bit. The problem is that it doesn't seem to be available for the '05 Forester XT anymore.

I think I have a few options but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas you'd be willing to share.

A potentially useful piece of information is that I've done the 6 speed swap and used all STI suspension parts.

1. I think I can use the same generation STI exhaust, just have to extend the hangers so it'll mount properly. If this is the case that would be fine. Can anyone confirm my thinking/research?

2. Are there any other dual tip catback exhausts for the Forester?

3. Restore everything to stock for now. The previous owner put a straight pipe on the thing, and sure it sounds pretty good, but no muffler was probably a bad thing.

My goal is to increase the horsepower quite a bit, but that doesn't need to happen right away. I just did the 6 speed swap and it cost a chunk of change, but I could see buying a catback without much trouble.

I don't want loud and screamy, that's why I liked the Borla Hush. It's just enough.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:08 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester 2.5X RWD
Transmission: JDM 6mt
All GD chassis (WRX and STI) cat-backs will fit your car, you don't even have to modify the hangers on the exhaust or car.
You just need the kartboy (or similar) extended extra long hangers and it fits right up. Those longer hangers keep it from rubbing/melting the bumper.
The only issue really there is that it won't poke out from under the bumper, it sits back in a bit since the foz rear bumper is about 4in longer. The only fix for that is to cut and weld in an extension pipe somewhere in the axleback (and cut and reweld the hangers) or to cut off the tips and put the extension pipes behind them (may be tricky)

I have fit all manner of WRX and STI exhausts to my Foresters over the years. Just remember the longer Kartboy pieces. Or rummage through the local auto parts store for cheapy hangers.

HeyChris and rhiadon like this.

sleepstate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:25 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: 2.5XT Limited
Transmission: 4EAT
@rhiadon +1 for what @sleepstate said in regards to WRX/STi exhaust fitment. I'm currently running the stock mid-pipe and tail section from an 07 STi on my Foz. Only needed the longer Kartboy hangers. One of the hanger mounts on the STi unit is in the wrong place and is not used, but it doesn't have any effect one way or the other. And while it does not stick out quite as far as the stock Forester exhaust tip, it doesn't look wrong. The uninitiated onlooker would never know the difference.

The sound is perfect in my humble opinion. It has a great low rumble at idle and coasting, no droning at highway speed, and it makes just enough noise to let you know it's there when you put your foot into it, very civilized. I've attached some pics below...please disregard the filth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2607.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	509799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2606.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	509801   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2604 copy.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	509807  
rhiadon likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks you two. This was the exact kind of feedback I was looking for. This was very helpful.

Now I just need to decide if the STI OEM exhaust is what I want or the dual tip Borla Hush is what I want. Time for some price comparison. :)

Oh and thank you very much for the pictures. That's very helpful as well.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Wow, finding an '07 OEM STI exhaust for a reasonable price is not proving easy. Of course this a pretty old car at this point, so used parts in useful condition may not exist very much. New just ain't cheap. Borla Hush is looking to be the winner so far.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

So to be clear, when we are talking about the longer exhaust hangers, we're talking about the rubber (or this case, urethane) hangers. Not the metal bracket bolted to the car, right?

If so, how long are we talking here? Are the 15mm hangers the right size?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:15 AM
Forum Member

Yes the rubber or urethane hangers.

And no. The 12mm and 15mm designation refers to the size of the hole in the hanger, which you poke the exhaust round bar through. As most aftermarket exhausts have larger round bars for their hangers.

For Kartboy you have standard hangers and long hangers. You will need the long (sometimes call XL)
https://www.kartboy.com/search?q=hanger

sleepstate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

And thank you again. In hindsight it should have been obvious that 15mm was not the length of the hanger.

To clarify, for future reference:

If using an aftermarket exhaust that is intended for an STI use this "Long" hanger:

https://www.kartboy.com/products/exh...nger-long-15mm

If using an OEM exhaust from an STI use this "Long" hanger

https://www.kartboy.com/products/exh...nger-long-12mm
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:42 PM
Forum Member

Yep. You got it.
I had the 12mm when I had the STI axleback on the car, and I drilled them out to ~15mm when I switched to the Blitz instead of buying new hangers, was in a crunch to get the car moving.

sleepstate

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:55 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: 2.5XT Limited
Transmission: 4EAT
For what it's worth, I scored my OEM STi exhaust off eBay last spring for $350 shipped with only 30K on it! If you look hard enough you will find one. It never hurts to check out the classified sections on NASIOC or the other WRX forums. Used STi bits are more common around there. You definitely can't go wrong with the Hush, but as you mentioned in your first post, those are few and far between these days as well. If memory serves, I think the people at Stromung make an exhaust that is relatively close to the OEM STi unit...but it's single tipped as well, and a bit pricey. Unfortunately there are not many options left for us these days, especially since MadDad went out of biz.

If you don't have any luck finding what you are looking for as a complete system, you could always consult an exhaust shop. Since downpipes and mid pipes are easy to find all you need to have fabbed is the tail section. Easy peasy.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I've certainly been looking pretty hard. I'm not in a huge hurry but at some point in the near future the exhaust will be the last thing I need. Maybe I'll find an OEM unit by then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Turbocharged (2004-2013)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode