Village Subaru in Acton, MA - 60k mile service review - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Village Subaru in Acton, MA - 60k mile service review

just had my 60K service $572 and I don't see any proof that they did anything beyond an oil change, tire rotation and spark plugs. plus they lost my maintenance booklet. DON'T USE VILLAGE SUBARU IN ACTON, MA!

when I asked about the fuel filter the guy who checked me in says they don't have fuel filters. DON'T USE VILLAGE SUBARU IN ACTON, MA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 04:57 AM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
As I mentioned in your other thread...didn't you get an itemized list. of what they did?

Be careful what you wish for.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

their paperwork contradicts itself in multiple ways

the general description paragraph stating they did a cooling system flush but in the "parts" section doesn't list any coolant being used.

the general description paragraph does not state brake fluid to be done (specifically) but lists brake fluid as being used. I put a small dot w a marker at the exact level before dropping the car off. the level is still at that exact same spot. what are the odds a flush and fill of brake fluid would wind up at the exact same spot? also when I examined the cover of the brake fluid reservoir for any signs of being touched, when I took the cover off I saw some black gunk sitting on top of the float. if the system was flushed and filled, or even just bled and topped off there wouldn't be that sludge sitting right there.

the power steering cap wasn't touched either.

the description lists transmission fluid and all differential fluids, but in the parts used area lists only 4qts of gear oil. I have a manual transmission, so that plus whatever other "differentials" would probably be more than 4 qts I think

the description lists door hings as being lubed. I cleaned my car this summer including door jams. I did not clean the actual hinge slide bars but cleaned everything else, and there is no evidence of them being lubed. the tech got grease on my interior so if he lubed my door hinges I think there would be evidence

I told them not to do the air filter because I did that recently myself. I asked how much was the normal 60K service and was told $540 but was charged $572. I have no way of telling if the air filer parts/labor was deducted.

I handed the service clerk my warranty maintenance booklet where they have been recording their services and asked they update it with this service. also included was a sheet with my oil consumption. (6.5 qts since last oil change!) the booklet mysteriously disappeared.

the parking brake was supposed to be adjusted but I don't feel any difference, the arm still comes way up when I set it

to their credit, the engine oil was changed and not overfilled. I complained about engine ping/knock and that seems to have gone away, maybe due to the new spark plugs, I got the old ones so maybe they changed them. I really have no way of knowing if these are my plugs or someone else's.

when I asked again today about the fuel filter the service "manager" said replacing that would cost $1,000. because it's part of the fuel pump. this doesn't sound right to me. either it's part of the 60K service or it isn't.

when I asked for a replacement warranty maintenance booklet with my service history recorded to replace the "lost" one I was told "they don't make those anymore, it was published and provided by a 3rd party company".

they never get the oil change interval correct (7500 miles) on the sticker and it's ranged between 3K & 5 K miles. after the 1st time I mention it at check in and always get this exact same answer: "oh it must have been one of the new guys he must not have know it was synthetic" really? well what did he put in the car? so I always have to go to my car get the sticker hand it to them and have write out another. on this service they got close but still didn't get it correct because they indicated to comeback in 7K miles not 7500. why must I be the expert in the field? why must I check everything they do? why would they be surprised when I put a small dot on the brake reservoir?

this service dept already was worrisome due to how they handled my car 6 weeks after I took delivery, that's a whole other story resulting in small block replacement and multiple visits to resolve oil leaks at the "rear seal". on those occasions they also said it "looked fine"

I'm supposed to go back in 1200 miles to look at the oil level so they can address the very high oil consumption issue. I'm getting really sick and tired of this car and this dealership.

2/1/13 took delivery of car w 18K miles
3/22/13 dealer took car back due to engine concerns & gave me a loaner that had chinese food spread all over the back seat. disgusting, I had to clean the loaner car thoroughly myself
*they never called me with updates and kept putting me off when I called so I got multiple consumer agencies involved*
5/6/13 got car back w replaced small block, then a couple return visits due to oil leaks in "rear seal"

with each oil change I mentioned that I had to add oil between changes and was always told the same thing, "some oil consumption is normal". I think I was asked once how much was I adding and I remember not knowing for sure and saying "I don't know probably a quart ot two"
as the oil consumption continued, so did my mentioning of the situation, and the last time in the spring I mentioned I was concerned because they had replaced the engine. the service clerk was surprised. how many engines to they have to replace there that requires 6 weeks of service and outside agencies to remedy for him to forget? after that visit I decided to keep track and wrote each time I had to add oil at either 1/2 quart down, full quart down, and in a couple instances below the 1quart mark.
then equipped with the details of the consumption, I naively left it with the service clerk in my warranty maintenance booklet, which has mysteriously disappeared.

my wipers were streaking badly, they didn't even check those so I replaced them myself a couple days ago. and cleaned my armrest which was yellow from the tech's filthy arm.

9/22/14 returned after 1200 miles oil down more than a quart, they topped it off and are "ordering parts"

trying not to let the 60K service ripoff bother me and ficus on the good, but it's a struggle - started car shopping again ... giant PITA!

Last edited by Rumrunner; 09-22-2014 at 06:22 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Emeritus Forum Staff

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Contact Subaru of New England to air your concerns with the headquarters.

95 Morse Street # 2
Norwood, MA 02062-4623
Phone: (781) 769-5100
Web: Subaru of New England | Subaru Distributorship for the Six New England States

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: 2.5i Premium
The fuel filter is inside the gas tank and not easily accessible, but it is indeed part of the 60k mile maintenance schedule.

2011 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period

Acton, my home town!

2.5i Premium CVT - Me 2018, She 2016 ● Robin-Subaru Powered Generator
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJosh View Post
Contact Subaru of New England to air your concerns with the headquarters.

95 Morse Street # 2
Norwood, MA 02062-4623
Phone: (781) 769-5100
Web: Subaru of New England | Subaru Distributorship for the Six New England States
Thank you, but since there is a history with this vehicle and this dealership with the better business bureau, massachusetts state attorney general's office and subaru corporate I have to look up my case and re-contact all those involved. THIS IS SUCH A PAIN IN THE ARSE!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

sent my info to the firm organizing the class action suit
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Can you provide specifics on the class action suit for others who might wish to join?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

so many threads for oil consumption ahh! I found a link to it from this thread:
https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...1/index40.html

or you can go directly here:
https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...thread-360817/

apparently the problem persist to 2014s? so much for trading up to a newer version, which I would consider if they gave me a good deal, but who wants to go from bad to bad. Don't need the hassle. Honda do you hear me knocking?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Oh, class action suit regarding oil consumption. I thought you meant one against that dealer for widespread incompetence.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

oh haha, no, most ppl have no idea that they've been ripped off. they just smile and pay and never check anything and the dealership knows it
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 06:03 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Touring
Your posting tells you that you need to find a different dealer - indifference should not be a quality of a professional service department.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Reviews > Dealer/Vendor Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode