Service @ Santa Monica Subaru - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 09:48 AM
scottyp

Service @ Santa Monica Subaru

Since I have purchased it (new), my car makes a clicking/whirring sound when the wheel is turned all the way in either direction. My car was at the dealer for an unrelated issue today, and I asked them to check it out. I think I asked the original dealer and was told it is normal. Now, this dealer is saying it is a bad power steering pump... and wants over $600 to change it. I'm out of the warranty period. Are they full of crap? Should I just take it to an independent? Thoughts?

[edit] corrected title from fuel > power steering ....sm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Roo
Forum Member

Car Year: 98
Car Model: Forester...what else
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Year, model/version (X,XS,XT) location??

I looked up P/S pumps for most applicable years.

$342 is our pricing for the part, so it depends on how much they're deciding to gouge you for in order to install it.

Please feel free to support our Subaru parts vendors here.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 09:56 AM
scottyp

It's a 2004 FXT. Santa Monica, California.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 10:50 AM
BLUE WASABI
(#2 Info Provider)

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: SG Model D
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Can't you just get an upgraded Walboro fuel pump for ~$100?

Nevermind...this is for a power steering pump:wiggle:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Roo
Forum Member

Whatever you do DON'T take it to Santa Monica Subaru for service. There are plenty of other shops down there. SMSubaru hires boxcutter wielding terrorists for their service monkeys. If you'd like, I can recommend plenty of good shops...even I could do a better job than any tech they have on the line down there. I don't THINK I could do a better job, I KNOW!!

Besides, they hire Ford technicians...and what do Ford techs know about Subaru cars?? They know that using a box cutter to slice open the underguard that Subaru designed means that they don't have to take the underguard off in order to change the filter. That's about their extent of knowledge.

First shop that comes to mind:

HarmanMotive
Torrance, CA
310-618-0284

other shops upon request.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:20 PM
scottyp

Who could you recommend in Santa Monica?

I think I am going to have the pump replaced because after I complained they said they would waive the part cost and I would just pay for service. Subarubucks! But I am sure I will need a place in the future.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 02:09 PM
scarred from battle
Contributing Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp
Who could you recommend in Santa Monica?

I think I am going to have the pump replaced because after I complained they said they would waive the part cost and I would just pay for service. Subarubucks! But I am sure I will need a place in the future.
That sounds enormously sketchy - either they are filing a warranty claim on the part or they aren't... if it's the former, you shouldn't have to pay a dime.

Do you have documented proof of the complaint with the original dealer? If so, then call them up with the new diagnosis and what happens.

I really don't think you should have to pay a dime for this one, provided that the reason the new dealer is calling for replacement is just the noise, and nothing else.

If the pump has failed in a different fashion that's not related to your original complaint, then i'd take what they're offering you and go with it.

Roo/anyone else who knows - is the power steering pump covered under the powertrain warranty?

Fmr 98L auto. I ride the subway now.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Forester "S" lifted.
Transmission: Bog-o-matic
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzoid
That sounds enormously sketchy - either they are filing a warranty claim on the part or they aren't... if it's the former, you shouldn't have to pay a dime.

Do you have documented proof of the complaint with the original dealer? If so, then call them up with the new diagnosis and what happens.

I really don't think you should have to pay a dime for this one, provided that the reason the new dealer is calling for replacement is just the noise, and nothing else.

If the pump has failed in a different fashion that's not related to your original complaint, then i'd take what they're offering you and go with it.

Roo/anyone else who knows - is the power steering pump covered under the powertrain warranty?
What they are offering him is a goodwill warranty split. Generally SOA will buy the part, and the client will pay the labour (at warranty time and rates!)

IIRC the PS pump is 3/36k only (at least it was on an 02 WRX I quoted a few months ago)

It's real velour. Just let yourself go!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp
Since I have purchased it (new), my car makes a clicking/whirring sound when the wheel is turned all the way in either direction. [edit] corrected title from fuel > power steering ....sm
Hi, Scotty, does the noise appear only when the car is at a cold-start? Or does it happen even after the car is fully warmed up?
Because some of other Forester owners also found PS noise problem:
the "PS noise" post

'06 2.5XT 4EAT European Spec.VF34+EcuTek Stage-2
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 07:39 AM
scottyp

I picked up the car from the dealer. Driving it home I checked it after it warms up-the noise is gone. The manual says the power steering noise before the car warms up is normal! SUBARU OF SANTA MONICA tried to take advantage of me for over $600. Do not go there! I called and spoke with the manager and told them I will be contacting SOA.

I know that the service department was bought by another company-Sonic, I think.

I also had them checking smoke coming out of my scoop when I am at a stop. I told them you have to drive the car pretty hard and hit at least 50-60 mph before it starts smoking. I picked up the car and found out they had only driven it 1.5 miles before saying they couldn't replicate the problem.

Basically, they are incompetent and fraudulent. Don't go to Subaru of Santa Monica.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 07:55 AM
Roo
Forum Member

I'm hoping you didn't find out after spending too much money there.

But at least I warned you. I think I'll be sending this post to Vendor/Dealer reviews...so that others may benefit from this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Reviews > Dealer/Vendor Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode