Schaller Subaru Repair Story - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down Schaller Subaru Repair Story

Hi everyone I just wanted to share my experience with Schaller Subaru Repair Shop in New Britain CT.

So over the week my Fozzie got some damage to the front fender, bumper, headlight and hood. all dented scratched, so needed to be repaired and replaced.

So i went to the body shop to get an estimate done which was on Friday, i was told that the repair would take 3 days, so if i drop it off on Monday, it would be done by Wednesday, Thursday the latest. So i said ok, i dropped off the car off the first thing in the morning as soon as then opened so they can have a full day to start working on it.

So Wednesday afternoon comes around and no word..so i decide to give them a call and i was told that it will most likely be finished for Thursday since they are still working on it. so i said ok thats fine, i would just need my car no later than that, i asked them what time should call them on Thursday? they said not to call that they will call me once they have a word on the status of it. ok thats fine i said.

Thursday afternoon comes and i finally get a phone call saying that the car will be complete by the end of the day and will be ready for pickup on Friday morning, because all it needs is just to go to the detail center for a clean up. and to wait for a phone call on Friday morning. well so i said ok, this is going to be day 5 but if its all set and complete and ready as its supposed to be then fine.

so Friday morning 8 am i get a call saying car will be ready for pickup at 10am and to make sure to come there at that time because they are closing early for the holidays at 12 noon.

so i got to the body shop at 10 am and saw my car, it was a sunny morning so car looked clean and washed. as i walk to it, i see that it seems a little dusty, so i put my hand on the bumper to wipe the dust off of it and it feels so coarse. im like *** its not even smooth or been buffed after painting.

then i walk over to the front and notice that the replaced headlight is different. its not the charcoal sport one but chrome one from the x model. and also the lower black part of the sport bumper insert was missing.

so i go in and the repair rep is getting my paper work ready, i said hi before i check out with you i would like for you to see the car outside there are some thing i would like to go over.

so we go outside and as we are walking to the car with the car facing forward i said one of the lights is the wrong one. he said no its not it just looks this way because you have old dirty lights and the replaced one looks different because its brand new. i said really? please look again. he looks at one looks at the other headlight he replies i dont see a difference. so i asked him and you work for subaru?
i told him how one has a black housing and the replaced one has a chrome housing, he finally noticed the difference, and said well thats because we replaced it with an oem part and your lights are aftermarket ones. i laughed right when he said that. i said this is a sports model therefore it should have black housing for headlights and taillights, im only a forester owner for a few months now and how long have you been dealing with them?

so then he tells me that these are the correct headlight because they were ordered from the vin so that is what my car comes with from the factory, i said that is incorrect this is a sports model the vin reads x/sports as a model description.

so then i told him to touch and feel the front bumper, he said oh this needs to be buffed out, but then i asked him, i thought you said that the car would be complete for me at this time, so the headlight could of been a mistake ok thats fine, but the dirty un buffed car and the missing grill part?

he said that the grill part is on back order and will be in next week, and when i come back with the car for the grill they will also buff the car again, the correct way.

so ok as we go back inside i ask him where is my old stock headlight? because i asked him to return it prior to dropping off the car for repair. the old headlight is fine, all it has is a small scratch on it that is why i was replacing mine.

he said that the headlight should be in my car in the back seat, didnt i see it? i said no i did not, i cannot see into the car because of the tints and you never gave me the keys. he said oh thats right, let me go and get the keys for you, so i wait as he goes to get the keys, and comes back a few minutes later saying that my headlight is in the shop in the back. and that if i have the time he will go and look for it. i said yes i do not mind waiting because i want my headlight back.
he comes back a few minutes later and said that he cannot find the headlight because they are already closing up in the back cleaning everything up. i looked at the clock and asked him dont they close at 12? its only 1030? he said well you know we are all in a hurry to go home before the holidays, i said i know me too, so far ive been here for half an hour and still have not resolved anything, i dont have a car to pick up, its dirty, missing parts, has a wrong part, and my old part seems to also be missing, and this took you already 5 days to do.

so he said that i can come back with the car after the weekend and he will look into the headlight situation for me, if subaru has a black one available, and also then can buff the car.

i said no i do not want to pick up the car when it is not complete and pay for everything when everything is not done, and im still missing my old headlight.

so he said that he will call me on Monday to discuss the next steps of this.

so its going to be a total of 7 days this Monday, where i still dont have my car, and everything else that has happened that i just mentioned.

so if anyone has a comments, or helpful information what to do in this case, or anything similar happen to them, please let me know.

its just sad to see that i am having such a bad experience with the subaru dealership, i know i am paying a lot for their service and the oem subaru parts but that was my whole point of doint it like this instead going to a local garage and having it done.

my impression was that if i take a car to a reputable repair shop the same dealership as well that everything will be taken care of with no issues such as mine. now i sit and wait.

2008 2.5x Sports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

i just spoke to them and they are still waiting on the part number for the headlight.
i told them that i can get it for them it shouldnt be that difficult, he said he will call me back in a few hours. ***.

2008 2.5x Sports
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 03:54 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: 2.0 FXT-Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Damn. Never going there. Try calling Secor SUbaru in New London in the future. It's an hour away from you, but a really good dealership.

I know nothing.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

......................continued..........
monday 12/27/10-so i finally got word from the body shop that they were able to locate a part number from subaru for the black headlight, but they do not know when that will be in because it is on back order. and that they do not when it will be available to just sit tight and they will have my updated as soon as they know something. so then i asked to speak if a manager about my issue, the appraiser said that one is not available at this time and for me to calm down and they will let me know as soon as they hear something. so another day passed and nothing.

so on Tuesday i decided to go into the schaller body shop center in person with a relative first thing in the morning right when they opened and to discuss this issue with the manager.

so i get there and my car is sitting there as it was the first day after they said that it was ready on friday christmas eve. so we walk in and immediately ask to speak the the manager, the body shop tech said that no one is available this early in the morning. so i said ok when will they be available? i dont know. ok what is their phone number? i dont know. by this time the appraiser came out and asked why we want to speak with the manager, and we said that its regarding my car how it is being treated they need to be made aware of this. he said but i told you to wait and be patient it will be all ok. and i replied, that you also said that my car would be fixed within a couple days, and you also said my car was ready last week, and you also said that there isnt a black oem headlight for a subaru forester. i told him i am done speaking with him and i request to speak with the manager immediately. he said he has no idea who that is and where he is.

so i said ok thank you that is all that we needed to know, and right away went over to the service center the next building over for schaller honda, asked at the reception desk that where can we find the manager of subaru auto body, and told them our situation. then we were told to get fast results to go to the next building over where schaller Mitsubishi is that is where the general manager offices are. so we got to the Mitsubishi building and explained to them our situation that we are requesting to speak with a manager of subaru, the receptionist gave us all his information and his extension to call him about the issue. to the general manager of schaller.

so shortly after i called the general manager and explained to him our issue. he Appolonia immediately and said that this will be taken care of shortly and he will call me back with more information. so i said ok. in a few minutes i get a phone call back from the general manager saying that the headlight is being rushed from some warehouse and i should have my car back the next day Wednesday for 100% and that it will most likely be ready at the end of the day because they still need to buff it and clean it up, so i said ok, just to let me know asap when the car will be ready. then he said if i have any other questions or concerns to call him on his cell phone. so i said ok. this is Tuesday already, into the second week.

next afternoon on Wednesday im waiting for my phone call and still nothing, so i decide to call the general manager on his cell phone, he picked up and i told him its already Wednesday afternoon and still haven't heard anything from the body shop, he said ok please wait and he will check on it and call me back shortly. so a hour goes by and no call back. so i call the cell phone number again, and now i get no answer but a voice mail. so i leave a message to please call me back to see what is going on. another hour goes by and no call back, so i finally decide to call the body shop to see what is going on, and then they said that that head light is here and my car will be ready at the end of the day for pickup so i can have the money ready, so i said ok great. but i asked if he will still call me as soon as its back from detail and everything is all set just to confirm, he said ok.

another hour goes by and i get a phone call saying that they have the headlight in but they sent the wrong one once again, and that they will over night the correct one to them and my car will be ready for Thursday. so again with no other choice i said ok and i will wait one more day.

Thursday morning comes and i get a phone call and they said that the delivery truck came by and the correct headlight was finally ordered but it never left the warehouse. they will try to get another delivery for later on in the day. so another entire day goes by and still havent heard anything, finally right before closing i decided to call them and finally made up my decision that tomorrow is new years eve and i will not wait another week for my car and no matter what condition the car is in that i want my car back and i will pay them accordingly to the work that they did. i told him to remove the headlight from the invoice and either put in the old one or just give it to me in a box without a headlight and i will put it in myself. no matter what happens that tomorrow i am coming to pick up my car, and of course they are closing early because of the holiday.

2008 2.5x Sports
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

so Friday morning i get a phone call saying that my car is ready for pickup cleaned and the old headlight is put back in just like it was, and that he removed the headlight from the invoice and gave me my total. so i said ok i will be there in a few hours to pick up the car. Friday afternoon right before closing i come to pick up my car, and went over to it and the front looked fine, cleaned buffed and besides my old headlight everything looked all set. so i come inside to the appraiser to finalize everything. and i ask for the keys to see the car, if everything is in working condition such as the headlights and washer fluid. he said no i will not give you the keys until you pay for it, and i said what? i will not give you a dollar unless i see the car is working the way it is supposed to. so he said ok fine i will come outside to see the car with you. sure i said, wheres the problem with that? so i start up the car everything seems fine, turn on the headlights and everything seems fine so far as well, then test out the windshield washer spray because the fluid reservoir was replaced as well. so i try it and nothing. so i call him over and ask him why the windshield spray isn't working he said he had no idea. so i open the hood and it seems like the windshield fluid reservoir is completely empty and has never been filled because the cap still had the tape on it. so i said what is this this isnt even filled to test if its working? he said oh well i am sorry they were in such a hurry to get your car out of here they must of forgot to fill it. in a hurry to get it ready? its been a week and a half over the initial estimated promised repair date.

well anyway he says don't worry i will go ahead and bring some out for you right now. so he brings out a new gallon of washer fluid and says but this will be at an additional charge for the washer fluid because i am going to fill it up for you because it is a new bottle. i said what? this is ridiculous we don't know if this will even work, and i am not paying anything extra for the fluid. so he said oh alright, well let me see if there is an open one anywhere. so he brings out an open bottle with less than a quarter left in it and says you can have this at no charge. pours it in and i go to try it out, and nothing, its not working. he then said that i can leave the car again and they will take a look at it the next working day in the morning. i said no i am taking my car now and they can fix it at some other time if i choose to ever come back there, and that i want to him to write on my invoice that they still owe to fix my windshield wiper fluid sprayer. he said but i will remember so don't worry, i said no i want it for my records in writing if i decided to come back, so he finally did.

so finally i paid for everything and take the car home. as i am driving the car home my headlights seem a little different to me one from the other. the driver side headlight is a lot dimmer than that untouched passenger headlight. but i thought to myself maybe they put some wax or something on the outside of the headlight when they were cleaning the car off and didn't wipe it off or something and its just not shining as brightly.

so as i get home and go outside and look at the headlights with them on from the outside i see it right away, that the right headlight the one that was supposed to be replaced is by far less brighter than the passenger one. and then i see it that the driver headlight has the blue hid tint to it. and the passenger one is hyper white in color as i had them both. again im thinking its just my over exaggeration since i am just paranoid with everything that has been going on. so i pull it into the garage to decide to see what is wrong with the fluid reservoir so i decide the take off the bumper and take a look.

as soon as i got some light under the hood i notice that the top of the grill is all scratched up and is missing the plastic clips, and also that the old un replaced headlight is not bolted in because it is missing a piece like it has been cut off. well so then i definitely decide to take off the bumper and see what is going on, so going for the clips on the bottom of the bumper cover first. what clips, all of them are broken just barely hanging on. i look at the wheel well fender liner clips, there aren't any. they were all missing, but one from one side. so i remove the bumper and what do i see that my old headlight has been broken off with the bracket on the bottom. and not even screwed back in at all, only clipped and snapped back into place and was just sitting there un bolted.

after removing the headlight i noticed that there is a big hole drilled in the back of my head light to feed the wires for the hid conversion kit through, whereas i just simply fed them through under the black cap that covers the light bulb. then i take out the light bulb to see what kind it is, as soon as i take it out, i see that the warranty sticker that is on the headlight bulb from the conversion kit falls off. it was surrounding the wires and it just fell off as it was peeled off and put back on again. well as i take out the bulb and look at the bulb it is clearly not the same bulb that i have ordered, because it said 6000k with 35w kit on that one and the bulbs that i had in there are 5000k 55w. so they broke something with my old bulb and ordered a new complete different one, or just some old one they had laying around without even telling me?

now i look at the washer fluid and it is not even connected fully to the hose that goes on the motor all i do is attach it and try it out, and works perfectly right away.

this is the conclusion of my business in anyway with schaller subaru or any schaller branch. i would highly recommend not using that dealership and will be eventually forwarding this to subaru HQ as some members have already mentioned that i do.

will keep everyone updated.

2008 2.5x Sports
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

hole drilled in back of headlight and just left as is for condensation.

broken off headlight bracket

how the bracket looks on the passenger side

cut off top headlight bracket

how the bracket looks on the passenger side

2008 2.5x Sports
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
wow....Thank You for the heads up. That is up by my in-laws and if anything ever happened, I will make sure my car is to towed further away to Dan Perkins(purchased there).

Dave
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester Limited
Transmission: Auto w/nav
Very sorry to hear about this. You were treated unprofessionally.

I do hope that you forward this to Subaru.

This serves as an example where taking your car to the dealership does not always mean it will be fixed correctly.

Aliens? Us? Is this one of your Earth jokes?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester
Holy cow. That is a disgrace. If were my car I'd start here :

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx

'07 X 2.5 EAT
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester Limited
Transmission: Auto w/nav
Think twice about going through the BBB

They are not on our side

Better Business Bureau – A useless institution ? | Reference Designer

Aliens? Us? Is this one of your Earth jokes?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester
I whole-heartedly disagree. I have had 2 instances in which I have used 2 separate BBB offices over the years and both times have reached a successful solution. Any REPUTABLE business does not want to be on the wrong end of a BBB report.

'07 X 2.5 EAT
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB420 View Post
wow....Thank You for the heads up. That is up by my in-laws and if anything ever happened, I will make sure my car is to towed further away to Dan Perkins(purchased there).

Dave
yea your welcome, i would recommend this to everyone in the area, they are 5 miles from me and next one is 20 miles. im definietly making the extra trip for anything dealer related.

2008 2.5x Sports
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subanoobie View Post
Very sorry to hear about this. You were treated unprofessionally.

I do hope that you forward this to Subaru.

This serves as an example where taking your car to the dealership does not always mean it will be fixed correctly.
thank you, yes i am contacting subaru, so at least they know how their business operates, if they something about it thats great.

and i know i could of had this go through my insurance and not pay more than double money out pocket at a dealer and still get worse service than anyone else that deals with car repair. so unfortunate.

2008 2.5x Sports
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyg7133 View Post
Holy cow. That is a disgrace. If were my car I'd start here :

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx
thank you, its mind blowing how a big business can act this way, i will notify them as well, if they help or not thats another story.
im not looking to get anything back for this. just at least maybe they change the way the do their business.

and most importantly any subie owners on here and in the area to be aware that this can happen.

2008 2.5x Sports
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 06:56 AM
Emeritus Forum Staff

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: XS
Transmission: 4EAT
Unfortunately most "dealer" autobody shops run under a seperate company umbrella that may do repairs for their multi line business or single brand or just about any brand. Auto body shops are not licenced by Subaru as a place of repair (they don't do that, nor does anyone else) only a referal by the dealer or advertisement to get your Subaru repaired there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Reviews > Dealer/Vendor Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode