• 2 Post By jliu

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: forester 2.5x
Transmission: AT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile Oakland Subaru - Review

I sent my wife to purchased a Forester Limited from Oakland Subaru on the evening before Thanksgiving. I was still at work when she told me the salesman could not find the Forester she wanted to see. When I arrived the salesman finally was able to locate the car, but it would not start. So he took a mechanic to the car and changed the battery. Still would start. By that time I was there for over two hours. The manager decided to give me another Forester but with more features for the same price. No argument from me. So they cleaned the car up and I drove home. Wife was happy and was I.

I decided to wash and put a coat of wax on the car Saturday. To my surprise there was a patch of scratches the size of dollar coin right in the middle of the hood. There were also scratches along the roof line between the windshield and the moonroof. Additionally, there was a big chip on the roof as well. Naturally I was disappointed.

I contacted the dealer and they asked to bring the car back in for the repair. No problem. I picked up the car three days later only to see the chip was just repaired by a dap of tough up paint. The scratches on the hood was semi gone but that whole area was haze up.(probable too much heat generated when trying to buff out the scratches) Some of the scratches on the roof were still there. I was very upset. To make things worse the person helping me told me he can see the haze on the hood. But he did admitted those scratches on the roof are present.

He then offered me to come back and they will fix the defects again. I told him I don't have time to come back and forth. Ask him to get me a rental and keep the car until everything is fixed. He went and talked to his manager. To my surprise, they offered to swap out my current car, which is only three days old with another brand new car with all the same features.

In the end, they were able to find the exact car while I waited over two hours for them to locate and clean up the car. I was pleased with their decision. I knew for a fact that they will not be able to fix the scratches on the hood without having to repaint the whole hood. I think the cost of doing the proper repairs make no sense. I am happy that Oakland Subaru made the proper decision to take care of its customer. I will definitely go back and do business with them.

wrex002 and ruminator like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 04:52 PM
Forum Member

Iím glad to hear you and your wife got the car you wanted. It probably worked out because you were patient and deserving of being treated right. They stepped up and did the right thing. Enjoy your ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch_Coolidge View Post
Iím glad to hear you and your wife got the car you wanted. It probably worked out because you were patient and deserving of being treated right. They stepped up and did the right thing. Enjoy your ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. The car is for my wife. She likes it. Coming from an 07 Highlander the Forester gets better mileage and it handles better.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 02:33 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: '17
Car Model: Impreza Hatchback
Transmission: CVT
Wonder who wound up with that car in the end . . .

Glad you made out well but I for one don't find the description of the ongoing car shuffles of this dealer very reassuring.

'17 Impreza HB
previous car: '06 Forester X
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

The dealer probably will use the car as a write off. Use it as a rental, or a shuttle. I imagine they will have to disclose the defects.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:34 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Limited
I purchased a MY19 Forester Limited from Oakland Subaru o 1/19/19 and am not happy with the experience.

I visited the dealership and closed the deal for a MY19 Limited on 1/19/19. Price seemed good and some basic research with the local competitors confirmed it. Pulled together funds for the down payment and pulled the trigger.

As the Finance Director and I were working though the documents he suggested that I add-on the extended labor warranty 10m/100k and some other protective programs (keys, and some other things that escape me) amounting to an upcharge of $6613.00. I voiced my concerns that I had done zero research and was blind-sided by the programs and had no idea of their value to me. He clearly stated that I could remove the programs at any time and pricing would adjust accordingly. That struck me as pretty clear, so I agreed to the additional terms and left for the night.

When I got home, I touched base with my father and he basically told me to dump all the extra stuff ASAP. I was back at the dealership the next day by noon (1/20/19) to finish the paying the deposit, take possession of the car, and I cancelled all of the additional programs. The Finance Director argued against my decision but I held fast. He had me fill out a single piece of paper stating that I was cancelling all the add-ons and I left.

Time passes and the auto loan showed up with a larger then expected amount indicating an additional $6613. I.E., the amount for the line items that I declined within 10hrs of purchase. The Finance Director tells me that the loan will reflect the updated amount after the middle of March (despite closing on the car in late Jan). Problematically, my MySubaru account shows that I have an active New Gold Plus 10r/100k extended service warranty. I've followed up several times via phone, text and in-person to have this corrected but nothing has changed.

As of this writing, 44 days have passed since I closed on the car. I still have an active New Gold Plus 10r/100k extended service warranty and the associated costs on my loan.

What to do? This is my first time buying a new car and it's pretty clear I am being taken advantage of.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:54 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: OutBack Ltd
Hope that you called SOA and complained loudly about this dealer's performance......it's the 1-800 number in your manual and other purchase docs.

DO NOT wait any longer, you've already waited far too long to demand action. SOA will take care of this at the corporate level. BTW, may I ask what your purchase price was w/o the add-ons? I may be shopping during the summer for our next car......

Steve

Steve

2015 OutBack Ltd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Reviews > Dealer/Vendor Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode