CarMax...Grrr - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester XS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CarMax...Grrr

I just purchased a MY05 FXS from CarMax. Overall not a bad sales experience. However...

The owners manual folder still contained the original dealer's cards. This dealer happened to be the same one bought our first Forester from so I took it over there to get a little history and a check out. First off I found that the car has about $5,000 worth of front end collision work done, bumper, grill, radiator etc. None of this shoed up in the CARCheck service CarMax uses.
OK I can deal, it sounded pretty cosmetic (extensive, but cosmetic). I like the dealer (Mitchell Subaru, CT), I trust their work so I'll live with it.

Worse, I noticed a little oil in my driveway the day after bringing it home. They found that when CarMax did an oil change they didn't replace the gasket on the oil plug and gouged the threads up trying to put it back in. The dealer found a spare plug and replaced the original, no charge (for the plug anyway).

A little oil leak sure makes a heck of a mess. If you ever have that burning smell, it's most ikely an oil leak.

Moral of the story, get the car checked out by an independent source and don't trust the CarMax sevice area to do the job right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 08:31 PM
30 Meters
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: XTi - VF39 Protune!
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thanks for the tip! Yeah used cars can be a nuisance!

USMC - One Shot, One Kill. You can run, but you'll die tired.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 02:30 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: '06 FXT
And pay the $30 or so for your own CarFax.

FXTIam
'06 FXT
4EAT
"STi" engine upgrade

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 06:05 AM
Dan
Contributing Member

Car Year: 12
Car Model: Premium
Transmission: 5-speed
The basic CarCheck plan doesn't cover a body inspection so they may not have been obligated to CarMax to report any signs of a prior collision repair. Sounds like the Subaru dealer did a good job on the repair since you didn't notice any problem during your own inspection. Kudos to them.

Depending on the policies of CarMax, you may be able to make a claim or get a refund of some sort. Or, as you said, live with it. If the car's a keeper and you have no intention of selling it any time soon, then it doesn't really matter so long as the repairs were done well.

SHIFT_to_Subaru
'12 Forester, 5spd - hers
'08 Legacy SE, 5spd - hers
'09 OB SE, 5spd - mine
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester XS
CarMax - The Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasMyst View Post
I just purchased a MY05 FXS from CarMax. Overall not a bad sales experience. However...

The owners manual folder still contained the original dealer's cards. This dealer happened to be the same one bought our first Forester from so I took it over there to get a little history and a check out. First off I found that the car has about $5,000 worth of front end collision work done, bumper, grill, radiator etc. None of this showed up in the CARCheck service CarMax uses.
OK I can deal, it sounded pretty cosmetic (extensive, but cosmetic). I like the dealer (Mitchell Subaru, CT), I trust their work so I'll live with it.

Worse, I noticed a little oil in my driveway the day after bringing it home. They found that when CarMax did an oil change they didn't replace the gasket on the oil plug and gouged the threads up trying to put it back in. The dealer found a spare plug and replaced the original, no charge (for the plug anyway).

A little oil leak sure makes a heck of a mess. If you ever have that burning smell, it's most ikely an oil leak.

Moral of the story, get the car checked out by an independent source and don't trust the CarMax sevice area to do the job right.

So I went back to CarMax today to discuss a payoff of the car from a different lender and I figured while I was there I'd see the service manager.

I told him about the collision damage and the oil change issue.

He was very concerned about the collision damage. They do not want to sell vehicles that have had any frame damage. They're ok with "bolt-on" collision issues but not "welding" collision issue.

If the car had welded repairs he was prepared to buy the car back from me and make things right.

He took the car into the shop area which was immaculate, all the mechanics were scribbing the blue and yellow painted floor. The car was put up on a lift and he and several "level 1" mechanics went over the damaged area. All the parts replaced were bolt on parts. They were very impressed witht he collision work from the dealer which surpassed their standards.

He said the oil changes are not done buy the level 1 guys but the guys who do it should know better and he would make sure they hear about it.

In the end he refunded me for the safety inspection I had done at my dealer and the repair to the oil plug and oil change.

In the end they did me right. I can't blame them for the CarCheck service not reporting the damage and he rectify the oil change issues. He was honestly concerned about the quality of the vehicles they sell and the service they provide. This is their first store in the northeast and they want to be as perfect as possible.

He went a long way to turn me back into a satisfied customer.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: VW GTI
Transmission: 6 MT
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Wow, I'm surprised! Most of the time businesses like this won't say anything helpful for fear they'll have to help you out, but being willing to buy it back if necessary was beyond good service. Nice!

I wonder, though, if the damage/repair was enough to visually notice they should have caught it when they (CarMax) inspected it. But if it was all bolt-on, they could have just missed it.

Thanks for the follow-up!

95 Legacy
99 Foz
04 Foz XT

11 VW GTI + 13 FJC

Last edited by problemcat13; 01-10-2007 at 03:30 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Forum Member

I bought my 06 Mazda 3 from CarMax and due to my excitement failed to notice the shoddy repair on the rear bumper.

As it turns out the car was involved in a rear end collision and I wasn't told about it. Not only that but they hired some fly by night mobile repair service to patch the hole in the bumper and paint it while it was still on the car.

I fought with them for a month and finally I convinced them to pay for the replacement of the bumper and repaint at the facility of my choosing.

In the end it worked out but I would have been happy with full disclosure after purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Reviews > Dealer/Vendor Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode