User Tag List

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
BLUE WASABI
(#2 Info Provider)

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: SG Model D
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Big news about Crawford...

My friend has been following Bruce Chapmans quest for a 10sec STI. He's a great guy and always tell's it like it is. Unfortunately, his recent dealings with Crawford have not been good. Read the full story and see for yourself:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=552

I sincerely hope that Crawford tries to make amends to this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 02:50 PM
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
I just subscribed to the thread on Nabisco... this ought to be good. Roo and I have had our own dealings with Quirt and I came to the conclusion a long time ago that the guy is a moron. That seems to have been confirmed now when I read that he doesn't even check clearances on his engines. Crawford and i-speed USA, truly a match made in heaven.

*popcorn*

~ Silke ~
'04 FXT 4EAT PSM - "Subed Up"
'11 Honda CR-Z 6MT - "Kat"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 04:10 PM
Emeritus Forum Staff

Car Year: 97
Car Model: s/tb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wow !:o
I thought that they were a good co. with a good rep but this isn't good
AndyF (a big player in the UK subaru comunity) has run a crawford R1 shortblock in his 10 sec Impreza for the last couple of years

JDM MY97 S/tb with a few mods (and stickers)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Roo
Forum Member

Car Year: 98
Car Model: Forester...what else
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I can honestly say that I know more about engine building than these guys do. It's obvious in the shoddy work they did. Of course, that's also coming from them not knowing there's a difference between a WRX transmission and a Forester transmission, which led to some center diff abuse on their dyno.

I've seen several failures like this by that company, so it doesn't shock me in the least. Hopefully, this will wake them up to the fact that sitting on a name without taking care to protect a reputation is going to **** their business.

Our motto: "No speed (at all) is better than I-speed".

Please feel free to support our Subaru parts vendors here.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 10:59 AM
6/22/76 - 12/21/14
Gone but not forgotten

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There will always be reputation soldiers on the 'i love it' and soldiers 'i hate it' side. I call them soldiers because a lot of them are just following others without really questioning the reasoning (god bless the US Soldiers, though, for doing their jobs).

Rather than say you've 'seen failures,' have you ever experienced failure from i-speed's tuning first hand? Have you ever run any products from Crawford? A product from the show room floor to inside your engine's motor bay can touch many hands. Who installed it? Who tuned it? How did you drive it? They're all factors you need to take into consideration. I'm not speaking to anybody specifically, btw, just in general.

I'm not on the bandwagon of saying 'state cold hard facts,' or 'prove it.' All I'm trying to point out is that people are always loyal to something, and while they may hate something because their friend does (clique mentality), it's just an opinion.

Back in my honda days, I had my b18c head built by JG after I had personally took a stab at it and caused significant damage to the head because I didn't get the timing right and valve clearances correct (yes, I read on the internet it was SOOO easy and anybody could do it -- just not me, I guess). This was my fault, and I acknowledged it. Javier did a fantastic job rebuilding my head and it ran like a champ. Then I got it ported and polished and Joe @ Alaniz rebuilt it. He, too, did a fantastic job.

Then I go onto honda-tech and read about how bad JG and Alaniz racing sucks. I hear about how they reuse gaskets, use the wrong parts, and because it's internal, most people don't bother to check, so they reuse parts they were supposed to have swapped out. So I spent the entire weekend tearing apart my head, to check every clearance, redo my timing and valve adjustment, retorque everything to the manual, only to find... Joe had done a fantastic job!

So don't believe everything you read. While I sympathize with Bruce chapman for his bad experience, maybe on a personal level, he and Quirt don't get a long and that could be a partial explanation for why things turned sour. The interpersonal relationship goes a long way in explaining the unobvious, and sometimes, unfortunate. I know this. I've been in HR for a while and deal with this on a constant basis.

Moral of the story is, while I-speed/crawford has some die hard haters, there are equal amounts of die hard followers. It's just sad to see an admin/vendor taking sides here, when they should realize, that anybody else could slam them, too.

"Roo, your prices suck, your 10% discount is a joke, and I can get stuff @ Albany subaru or Southcoast subaru for cheaper w/o any 'special sales prices' than all your so-called discounts. Also, the service and knowledge is better. Does that mean that I won't ever go back? Yes. Does that mean I had a personal bad experience? No. I'm just basing that off seeing your quotes on this forum."

Strikes a chord, doesn't it? This is what people can say, simply by seeing some of your price quotes.

And btw, Roo is a good guy. He's always been nice to me, and while he's not always the cheapest, I'd pay in a heartbeat for convenience and quality of service. Not only was Roo kind enough to give me the Marin subaru's only Prodrive catalog, he also was kind enough to chat to me and point me to this awesome forum.

Amen.

'05 FXT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Roo
Forum Member

Car Year: 98
Car Model: Forester...what else
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Thanks, sleepy.

BTW, Silke and I DO have a firsthand experience with I-speed at the Rim of the World Rally last year. We paid $60 for the pleasure of having them damage our center differential, because they didn't know that Foresters are different than WRX's.

Please feel free to support our Subaru parts vendors here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Reviews > Dealer/Vendor Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode