('19+) Headlights won't turn off - Merged thread - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headlights won't turn off - Merged thread

I have a 2019 Premium Forester which I received two days ago. I am having the following problem.
After shifting to reverse or drive the low beam headlights come on. There is no way to turn them off until the engine is stopped. It does not matter what the setting is: AUTO or any other setting.

I took this to the dealer. To make a long story short the service manager and the salesman eventually agreed. They had no answer.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: 2.5i Premium
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
DRLs?

2.5i Premium CVT - Me 2018, She 2016 ● Robin-Subaru Powered Generator
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:01 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester
To build off of what @bbottomley said, in anything other than the Limited and Touring, the main headlight also serves as the DRL. In the Limited and Touring they use the "C Light" or "boomerang" for DRL. This is discussed in this thread.
jmw15 likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:27 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Touring
An easy way to verify that indeed the lights are just DRL, look at the tail lights, not on when headlights are off.

2019 Touring -Red
2019 Touring - Green
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:47 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd
The DRLs on my 2018 shut off when the transmission is in Park. Otherwise they are always on.

2018 2.5i Ltd FB25 CVT; 2010 2.5X Ltd EJ253 4AT
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Everything sounds like DRLs, but for the unknowing reaction from the service manager.

Subaru's procedure has always been that DRLs come on when the engine is running, parking brake is off, and (if automatic transmission) is not in Park. They have swapped around a bit between using low beams or high beams, always running at less than full brilliance, and in recent years have switched to fancy LEDs in some of the higher priced models—not yours or mine.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:09 PM
Forum Member

I bet the manual goes over it.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Head lights won't turn off 2

I posted the following post previously:

I have a 2019 Premium Forester which I received two days ago. I am having the following problem.
After shifting to reverse or drive the low beam headlights come on. There is no way to turn them off until the engine is stopped. It does not matter what the setting is: AUTO or any other setting.

I took this to the dealer. To make a long story short the service manager and the salesman eventually agreed. They had no answer.

Thanks

I received answers such as DSL.

Common sense tells me those LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS should not come on when shifting to reverse or drive. Why have the sensor that turns your headlights on at dusk if they are already on.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:43 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester
Read both of your posts. If I understand your question,
I agree with the folks who suggested it’s the DRL’s. They are always on when car is not in park.

To check, have someone put car in gear and look at your headlamps. If the bulbs on the inner part of the headlamp are on, these are the DRLs. The actual headlights are the outer bulbs.
The headlights are brighter than the DRLs. When you turn on the headlights, the DRLs go off.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

I have merged your new thread with the original one to keep things together.

DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) are to help other cars see you in daytime. On most Subarus they aren't a separate set of lights but a special usage of the headlights. They light up one set of headlights at less than full brilliance. Just the headlights. No taillights or anything else.

'Turning on' the headlights lights them up at full brilliance, enables use of both high and low beams, and also lights up tail lights and a few others. For nighttime driving or periods of low visibility.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:26 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyquicker View Post
I posted the following post previously:

Thanks

I received answers such as DSL.

Common sense tells me those LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS should not come on when shifting to reverse or drive. Why have the sensor that turns your headlights on at dusk if they are already on.

Careful throwing out the common sense bit. Sounds like you haven't owned a modern vehicle. Common Sense would be to take the time to read the owners manual.

Last edited by OriginalTwoTone; 05-14-2019 at 10:53 AM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:24 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring
How about the simple approach?

Go to the dealership and see what happens with the other models the dealership has on its lot like the one you own...

I’m betting on the DRL answer.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Headlights won't turn off # 3

I previously posted the following message:

Thanks

I received answers such as DRL.

Another suggestion was to turn the lights on when in park and then compare them to the lights that are on when in drive. I did that. There is no difference. The outside LED and the inside yellow lights are both on. I said above that the service manager and the salesman did not have an answer. That was a long story short. I will expand that story more. For the first several minutes they thought I simply did not understand how the lights worked. The service manager told me they were on because we were inside and it was somewhat dark. I said that didn't matter and let's take it outside. We took it outside and the low beam headlights still came on. The service manager got inside the car and fooled around with stuff. I don't know what. The service manager then agreed with me. He had no answer and said he would try to find out something. He has not called.

Bottom line: they come on when shifted into reverse or drive; they will not turn off until the car is shifted into park.

I think there is a defect with something. It is going to be a warranty issue and I am not looking forward to it. I think it will be a battle. Hopefully not.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Once again I have merged your threads. Please do not start new threads to continue an already established discussion. We have a strong policy here of keeping everything together for future reference.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Nonsense. I am 68 years old. I have owned plenty of modern cars. I have looked in the manual, a lot. No answer. That manual is by far the worst manual I have ever had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode