('14-'18) Battery - Just had to change my battery! - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
HCFFHC
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester 2.0XT
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery - Just had to change my battery!

Just had to change my battery in my 2017 XT. Out of no where. Only thing I have done in the past that would cause a drain is the dashcam. Took it to autozone and they did a test. Charging system was fine but showed the battery was toast. So I bought an AGM battery.

Anyone else had to change the factory battery?

2017 Forester 2.0XT Premium Ice Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:52 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Transmission: CVT
Yes. The factory battery in my 2014 lasted barely over 2 years. Factory batteries, at least before 2019, are undersized. I noticed that it suddenly started to crank slowly. I put in a new higher capacity battery (made by Deka). Back to normal cranking and shows no sign of giving out.

My wife's 2019 Forester has a higher capacity battery than the 2014 - 2018. Appropriate, since it has a lot more electronic stuff in it. Will it be enough? Time will tell.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
HCFFHC
Contributing Member

Garage
Yeah I just bought this battery.
Battery - Just had to change my battery!-battery.jpg
Duralast Platinum
Part Number:
35-AGM
Amp-hour:
Battery Group Size Designation:
Cranking Amps (CA):
Reserve Capacity:
Battery Voltage:
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA):

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:15 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Touring with Eyesigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckU2 View Post
Just had to change my battery in my 2017 XT. Out of no where. Only thing I have done in the past that would cause a drain is the dashcam. Took it to autozone and they did a test. Charging system was fine but showed the battery was toast. So I bought an AGM battery.

Batteries do not have the longevity as past years generations/ vehicles because of all the electronics and smart devices that are Incorporated in today's vehicles.

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbull....php?p=7542765

Since you added/ installed a Camera to your vehicle and wired it hot this is one of the biggest reason your battery was not staying up to the task. Also because of (auto spell check) CAFE requirements the battery is the main power supplier where as prior vehicles it was the alternator handling the demand. You did make the right choice with AGM. As a matter of fact, I tender them once a month since some of my vehicles are not use every day and my driving pattern is not conducive to fully charging the batteries.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul

Last edited by Yoda_One; 06-10-2019 at 02:10 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:40 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_One View Post
Also because of CARF requirements the battery is the main power supplier where as prior vehicles it was the alternator handling the demand.
What are CARF requirements? Can you provide a link?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Touring with Eyesigh
fifm ( fixed it for me) CAFE very entertaining :headshake it would have been better to fify (fixed it for you) but why not!

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:06 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: 2.5i Touring
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_One View Post
Batteries do not have the longevity as past years generations/ vehicles because of all the electronics and smart devices that are Incorporated in today's vehicles....................As a matter of fact, I tender them once a month since some of my vehicles are not use every day.............
I agree on this. Battery on my '16 is still going strong. Keep it on a tender / desulfator (same with all vehicles) every week or two at least when not driving.

----
Joe
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:05 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
I agree on this. Battery on my '16 is still going strong. Keep it on a tender / desulfator (same with all vehicles) every week or two at least when not driving.
Never used a desulfator before but your testimony peaks my interest. On my Altima the dealer keeps claiming the CCA are too low. I just purchased the Infinitum which per claims you just hookup and it runs without much or any attention. Will try out on that vehicle for a month or two and if I see improvement I will get one for my Fozzi.

The Ocecolakidtoo *
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
HCFFHC
Contributing Member

Garage
Edit: Just ordered this
Battery - Just had to change my battery!-71zirzer5el._ac_ul436_search212385_.jpg
Yoda_One likes this.

Last edited by RuckU2; 06-11-2019 at 08:38 AM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:51 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
The batteries after 2010/2011 are undersized junk, with little reserve capacity. Shopping for AGM replacement for mine.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:21 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: manual
My 2011 Forester got a new battery (under warranty) when I went in for regular service after about 2 years. The replacement lasted until the fall of 2018 (probably still okay, but 5 years is puching it. Replaced it with an AGM battery. So far, no problems.

My biggest battery problem is driving with lights on during the day (MA law for rainy/snowing weather) and forgetting to shut them off when I get home (in daylight) while leaving the key in the ignition. Next morning, dead as a doornail! Fortunately, my battery charger only takes 10 or 15 minutes to get a dead battery up enough to start the engine, and my shortest drive is long enough to fully charge the battery (and dry out the original exhaust system).
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: Forester
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...SABEgLERfD_BwE

I have a dash cam hard wired and an upgraded sound system amp and bass amp. The battery is good but when the day comes I'll be looking at the above option.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:13 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Garage
My battery in my 2015 lasted just more than 3 years.

I was on a long trip from Northern CA to Southern CA. Stopped at a rest stop to take a nap because I was too tired to continue driving. I had driven about 5 hours after working all day. Anyway I had the radio running when I went to sleep. Nothing fancy just on as some background noise.

When I woke up 3 hours later the radio was still running fine. Went to use the restroom, returned to my Forester, and click, click, click of a bad/low battery.

To say the least after 5 hours of driving the battery should have been fully charged and no problem with the radio only running.

I replaced it with an x-Treeme starter deep cycle battery from Batteries plus bulbs. It is made by Northstar and are generally well liked quality batteries.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:11 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckU2 View Post

I was approaching the end of my 2 year complimentary maintenance and I was in Charlotte NC at the time my battery died. I chose to buy an AutoCraft Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size 35, 650 CC at Advance Discount since I didn't want another Subaru "2 year" battery.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:04 AM
Forum Member

Garage
This is a widely documented problem in the WRX world, as well. To make it simple: Subaru greatly reduced the duty cycle of the alternator to only come on when certain conditions apply, thus, the battery is often undercharged, and dies quicker. A new battery is a band-aid fix for most WRX owners, even going from the undersized stock batter to an 800cca battery.

The "cure" for most is to follow up with TSB# is 11-174-17R and have the ECU reflashed to get a better charging duty cycle. Others use an ALT-S fuse mod, others bypass the charging monitor cable (which I don't recommend), others "top off" the battery by putting it on the charger once a month or so. However, I'm sure the Forester is likely different.

To quote myself from another forum:

Quote:
The factory charging system and it's ECU control logic isn't keeping your battery fully charged.

Think of your battery like a fuel tank that never allows you to fully fill it, and shrinks a half-gallon in size every time you use it. After a while, and after a bunch of repeated use, that theoretical fuel tank will shrink so small that it can't support you driving the car because it doesn't hold enough fuel to run the engine.

Your battery, never being fully charged up, suffers the same consequence- if you never FULLY charge the battery, it's going to lose it's ability to hold a full charge, and will eventually shrink in capacity so much, that you won't be able to start it. Like the 'fuel tank' example, it doesn't matter HOW BIG the tank/battery is to start, it will eventually run out of capacity if you're constantly losing capacity.

For those who want to know more, and find potential solutions, read here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode