Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester S/TB
Transmission: 5MT
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Import help!

Need help asap!
I live in Saskatoon, and my Forester lands in BC on November 10th. By the time it clears customs I should theoretically have the time to drive it home. Can someone share experiences, cost of travel, stories, anything to help? As well getting the vehicle saftied in Saskatchewan and what that takes? The sooner the better so I can book a plane ticket cheaper if I need to! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1997
Car Model: Subaru Forester stb
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Hey, just want to start off by congratulating you on your buy. Did you use an importer to buy your car or did you import it yourself? If you used an importer I would recommend taking advantage of having them ship it to you for the extra $500 for a variety of reasons. First: You have never seen this car before, and we all know about the devil we don't know... Its a long drive for you on well maintained road but in some portions not necessarily friendly for breaking down. Second: I may be wrong on this one but... You're going to need winter tires as those are the laws in the mountain passes at this time of year, you're either risking a ticket and risking your car, or forking out money for winters. Third: As I already mentioned, the drive is long, your car has no cruise control, you will get used to driving right hand drive pretty quick though. The seats are not extremely comfortable but that's my opinion. That's all I can really think of, I would probably only drive that one in the summer. Longest drive I have done was Calgary to Edmonton and it was without a radio and full of leg cramps.
Let me know what you think, feel free to oppose anything I said!

Last edited by MidnightMax; 11-01-2017 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Hey MidnightMax, thanks! I purchased through JDM Connection. I was quoted 800 for shipping, and after a quick search realized I could get a plane ticket for about 250... then it just so happened that the car is landing during reading week (a week that us uni students have no classes). on top of that, I will need to purchase winter tires to drive in Saskatoon. I have worn all weathers now and starting and stopping for stop signs is... questionable. And I regularly drive 400km each way to see my parents... 1700km is long but I think with a road trip buddy its doable.

I am concerned as to whether or not it is safe for the car. I blew way to much money on it, and I need this to be a reliable car for a long time... is there maintenance I can do along the way that would completely eliminate this risk? I heard someone say the car will need a full round of fluids and a boost.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 05:54 PM
Forum Member

Maybe look up for some winter tires now that you could pick up in Vancouver and get installed. I'm not 100% but I think you'll want temporary insurance on the car for the drive home. My car has never left me stranded in the 20,000kms I have put on it . I hate to say it but these aren't known as the most reliable cars. Turbo subarus have their qweks but I think you will be fine without a fluid flush right away, (I am assuming your importer got the car from beforward and I'm pretty sure they fluid flush all their cars). My car does this weird thing where is wont start below -15. If I park in the garage overnight its good for the day but I'm not sure how yours will fair after a 3 week trip on a boat. Maybe install a block heater or an oil pan heater? Perhaps invest in some form of AAA in case of worst-case. I am actually hoping to import another car and drive it myself as a sort of vacation but it will have to be in the summer. From what you're telling me two $250 plane tickets plus room and board and fuel, you're going to be near the $800 shipping price. If you get winters put on in Vancouver the shop may do a pre trip check which could help avoid disaster.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
I'm planning to get my hands on a block heater ASAP... but are you serious that it wont start below -15? Thats really bad considering -40 winters... Can you elaborate on that for me please?

what do you get for mileage? If I make the trip alone and bring a blanket, I feel like I might only have to pay about 500. The car needs temporary insurance anyways so I can take to a shop in Saskatoon and get it saftied.

Oh and BTW, if you imported your Fozzy, what did you need to do to get it to pass safety?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 07:55 PM
Forum Member

Concerning the car not starting in the cold: I had it in the garage at home from September until Novemberish when I decided to bring it to college for a couple weeks until winter break. Anyway, I needed to make a grocery run after a coolish spell of about minus 20 and... the starter was working away but nothing... I had to wait for the temperature to warm up a little for me to get it going again. I bought but haven't installed an oil pan heat (heard those work better than block heaters). Not too much info on here as to why the cars don't start when its cold but I wouldn't risk getting stranded after a full day of classes or work. I also know a girl who had an automatic JDM SF5 that was used as a winter beater so you might luck out, just wanted to share my experience. I only use my car in the summer (doesn't start when cold) because I do a lot of highway driving (no cruise control) and the fuel economy isn't that awesome (boost addict).
Concerning the inspection: there's a couple things you'll need installed. You need DRL in Canada and the JDM foz is without so any JDM shop can install those. I think it was $50. Second, the shop told me I needed a new battery and front break pads and routers. I had the car towed to my dads place from the shop in Calgary, did the break work myself. I don't think the shop was expecting me to do that because when I pulled the wheels off I discovered pretty mush brand new shoes and decent discs (Bit the bullet and swapped anyway to avoid problems). I drove the car back to the shop with temporary insurance the next day and they charged me for another inspection, it passed with the work I did and drove it home. The shop decided to leave one of my sparkplugs unplugged though so it was a rough drive across Calgary, I thought my car was broken. Looked under the hood and figured it out pretty quick. I bet your car will pass the inspection as long as the tires are good and by that I mean they meet north American standards not just tread wise(your auction sheet will let you know about any problems in anything major). After the inspection, tow, parts, registration mumbojumbo I had spent around $700. I didn't do it the smartest way I could have but live and learn I guess.
As for mileage: Lol. Your grandpas land yacht/ 1 ton truck (depending on where your from) probably got getter mileage.
The all wheel drive, turbo, toaster shape, premium gas combo is not easy on the wallet. I haven't done any actual math because it I did I'd force myself to get rid of the car but I think the info is easily available and probably full of people starting their sentences off with "Its all to do with driving habit". In all honesty I think the car is worth it and the only two other things I have had to fix were the front CVs (torn boots) and the MAF circuit board needed a soldering job. I'm planning on dropping the thing on coilovers in the spring when I move back home and hopefully getting one of those cool lips.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Awesome, thanks for the help! I will definitely look into a pan heater. Kinda sucks about gas mileage cause I figure I'm gonna taste that boost and never look back...

The last thing I'm really worried about is the timing belt. The car is at 105km, so I know it needs to get done ASAP. I have a friend in Saskatoon who would be able to do it dirt cheap for me, however that's after a 2000km drive. Or, I guess I have to bite the bullet and get it done by a shop in BC. How dangerous would it be to drive her home without getting it done?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 07:20 AM
Forum Member

I think your timing belt should be good for the drive home. Once again have the shop that does the tires in Vancouver do a once over pre-road trip inspection. It might even be free. Or, get everything done in Alberta where we don't have PST ;)
Also, if you do end up going there and driving it back, could you perhaps keep a journal of everything you needed to do from the point of first pick up? It doesn't seem like anyone has done this before and I think it could help a lot of people who want to import themselves and don't want to give money to an importer. I want to go pick up a car in the summer but I am unfamiliar with all of the procedures but I think importing it myself will cost about half the money that an importer charges for the same car.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Well, for the trek through the mountains I don't want to take the risk, so I'll be installing tires before leaving. I don't even know how the tread is on the tires now, but I wont be keeping them.

I know for a fact that within the 5200 I paid for the car, 1000 was for William at JDM Connection. However, being my first imported car, I was willing to pay him for the work he has done for me. I will go back and create a log starting from when I first found the car online! I would say get in touch with William. He's been great for answering questions and helping where possible.

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea where I could pick up a front lip for less than 2 or 300 bucks? I don't have many contacts for JDM parts and everywhere I've seen is asking an outrageous price for a front lip it seems.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 06:20 PM
Space For Rent

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Congrats on your new forester, should be a fun trip home. Check the tires and the brakes, they’re usually shot or close to it. Things done on my Forester after getting home: rotors and brake pads, all suspension and side trim panels removed to clean and undercoat underneath, timing belt & idlers, water pump, block heater, valve cover gasket/half moons, all fluids drained and replaced, plugs/wires, fuel filter and belts. Last couple of years I’ve changed out the wimpy rear sway bar and end links, double din deck/new speakers/amp & sub, sst exhaust, enkei wheels, security system with remote start, gauges/gauge pod and have a 2 channel dash cam too. I average between 500 and 550 kms on a tank of fuel. I’ve had it almost 3 years now, have 107k kms and it has run like a top. Have fun!

1997 RHD Forester - Sold!
2011 Limited 2.5x
2008 Toyota Prius
1985 Toyota 4Runner

Last edited by JohnnyCanuck; 11-02-2017 at 07:28 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Do you think I should order brakes and potentially replace them before a trek through the mountains?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 06:43 PM
Forum Member

Visually check them then hard test them, if they're bad or squealing get them replaced. I think you should be good.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Well... I guess Ill take my chances on the brakes, and do them when I get to Saskatoon. First things on the list when the Fozzy gets to Stoon are, in this order: Block heater, Timing Belt and water pump, brakes. All of which I will be ordering tomorrow. Is there anything I should add to this list so I can save on shipping?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:26 AM
New User

@TheGiantsDrink98 Hey there! I just sold my truck to a young guy in S'toon. and like your self I want to get a Forester. Apparently there is a jdm importer right in saskatoon @ EA imports. The issue I am having is, he wants 8900 bucks for a very low mileage cross sports. But I want to know should I just import it myself?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:23 AM
スーパー モデレーター

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
@Spectra306 I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Note that @TheGiantsDrink98 last signed onto the forum on January 20, 2018, so the odds are pretty good he won't reply. Hopefully the other members, posters on this thread reply.

also...
Quote:
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno stock Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > International Forums > Canada

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode