2019 Subaru Forester Breaks Cover and it Looks the Same - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

50Likes

post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Editorial Content

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2019 Subaru Forester Breaks Cover and it Looks the Same

Quote:
The 2019 Subaru Forester has been presented at the 2018 New York International Auto Show with some expectedly reserved styling.

Subaru may not be setting the internet alight with the Forester’s styling, but the crossover is improved in ways that returning Forester buyers, of which there are many, will genuinely appreciate. It rides on the Subaru Global Platform that also serves in the Impreza and Crosstrek, which has contributed to reduced road noise and an altogether more comfortable ride. The new platform also enabled the Forester to grow in length from to 105.1 inches from 103.9 inches, making for additional rear seat legroom.
Read more about 2019 Subaru Forester Breaks Cover and it Looks the Same at AutoGuide.com.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 05:06 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: CVT
"Crossover"? Is it part-time AWD now? FWD-only option? In 2014 we were Motor Trend's SUV of the Year.

post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 05:43 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Garage
Forester has always been a CUV Crossover. Unibody economy compact car platform based. Has nothing to do with AWD system.

Crosover / CUV: excludes truck the truck frame rugged SUV's.
SUV: doesn't exclude the unibody crossovers.

#SubaruAmbassador

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 05:47 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: Forester 2.5 Touring
No more hand brake.

New, incredibly annoying start-stop tech.

And flappy paddles, because nothing says "I'm an idiot" like pretending to shift a CVT in a low-HP family car.

Last edited by RochesterG; 03-29-2018 at 05:53 AM.
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 06:35 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Forester has always been a CUV Crossover. Unibody economy compact car platform based. Has nothing to do with AWD system.

Crosover / CUV: excludes truck the truck frame rugged SUV's.
SUV: doesn't exclude the unibody crossovers.
Ah, I see. I always took CUVs to be tall ugly economy cars with an option for AWD (but FWD as standard). That's okay, I never thought of my Forester as an SUV anyway - I refer to it as my car.

I don't mind the looks of the 2019 model - looks like any nice wagon or CUV aimed at young middle-class families or senior citizens. But taking away the MT option hurts. And the performance themed XT... sad. But the bean counters and lawyers run car companies now, so everything's moving to ho-hum.
soobcrazy and SubiAficionado like this.
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 07:54 AM
Forum Member

I'm glad we bought the 2018 XT Premium. The only thing I feel I'm missing out on is CarPlay, and that can be added aftermarket.
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:38 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: LL Bean (4EAT)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I don't care for the Altima-like front fender bulge, and really don't like the down and up curves in the side. Or the clutter on the rocker panels.
bigJ likes this.

2008 LL Bean
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 12:04 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFan View Post
I'm glad we bought the 2018 XT Premium. The only thing I feel I'm missing out on is CarPlay, and that can be added aftermarket.
Yes, you can always get more advanced systems aftermarket.

CarPlay/AndroidAuto will not be the last word in tech, no reason to buy a car based on that.

2018 XT Touring, previous Foz a 2006 XT 5 Speed
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 12:40 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester
Not quite nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RochesterG View Post
No more hand brake.

New, incredibly annoying start-stop tech.

And flappy paddles, because nothing says "I'm an idiot" like pretending to shift a CVT in a low-HP family car.
Pretending to shift a CVT in a high-HP family car might say "I'm an idiot" even better.

GD

My car is not my hobby, it gets me there.
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 01:11 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Darter View Post
Pretending to shift a CVT in a high-HP family car might say "I'm an idiot" even better.

GD
Come now, other brands going to 10-speed autos doesn't resemble CVT-envy???

ianbne likes this.

Clyde Washburn
'17Tour,'14Ltd,'10P,'06X,+5 older
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 01:16 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: cvt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Darter View Post

GD

Huh. I have a FXT, and I use “shifting” for two things:
1) to pass quickly, like on a two lane road with traffic, pop the SI drive into “S” , then shift down one. It goes like a scalded dog. Really a nice ability.
2) in the mountains on long downhills and curvy slopes, use the paddles to engage engine braking and downshifts when needed. This also works well. Up until 2018 the NA had no paddles and could not effectively use engine braking.

Trying to use the CVT like a real transmission doesn’t work. But the above is really useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lfdal, HeyChris, e1dur0 and 3 others like this.
post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 01:19 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: cvt
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue View Post
Come now, other brands going to 10-speed autos doesn't resemble CVT-envy???

Well, no. A CVT is what it is, which is not a transmission designed for driver enjoyment or input. It’s an appliance better suited for mopeds or snowmobiles.
Auto makers are adopting it, like other features designed to achieve better mpg but kill driving enjoyment. Cheaper for them, worse for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
vintage42 and RochesterG like this.
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 04:31 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: 2.5i-L
Quote:
No more hand brake.
Which will be a deal breaker for me. Imho, electronic hand brakes are dangerous as they are either on or off. There is no ability to apply brakes gradually in an emergency.

Gentle hand braking is also handy off-road to pull the rear into line when, for example, going downhill and the rear begins to step sideways on corrugations, etc.

Quote:
Being able to select and hold a low gear is very useful on long downhill runs and when towing.
ianbne, Airborne and Maxwedge like this.

2013 (US 2014) Forester 2.5i-L + Eyesight.
post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 04:33 AM
Forum Member

I don't understand why they re-introduced the bulging fenders, coupled with the optional OEM fender trim. For that matter, there's no telling yet whether that fender trim is standard now, or still an option. I suspect it's standard equipment going forward.

Personally, I think the wheel arch trim (or cladding, or whatever you want to call it) looks great on the current model Forester. And it's necessary, because the oddly sculpted fender design is an expensive ding magnet. Granted, the trim itself was a costly dealer-installed option, but we did it anyway, and it looks right, particularly coupled with the optional body side molding.

Look, I'm no Subaru enthusiast even though we love our Forester. It's only 6 months old, and it was our first. I suspect it will be our last.

Also, I genuinely think Subaru's CVT implementation in the Forester is pretty darn good. It's the first CVT that I don't actually hate. But there's no amount of Kool-Aid in the world to convince me there's any purpose to pretending to shift a CVT. Maybe it's fun for some people, but from a practical and mechanical perspective, it's just colossally stupid. Hard stop. Someone here made a good point about managing the transmission for engine braking when towing downhill... and that's a good point I suppose. Someone also made a point about manually "downshifting" the CVT for passing performance, and that made me LOL.

It's a big tent. Opinions are free.
CoyoteChris likes this.

Last edited by RochesterG; 03-30-2018 at 04:55 AM.
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:07 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Also, I genuinely think Subaru's CVT implementation in the Forester is pretty darn good. It's the first CVT that I don't actually hate. But there's no amount of Kool-Aid in the world to convince me there's any purpose to pretending to shift a CVT. Maybe it's fun for some people, but from a practical and mechanical perspective, it's just colossally stupid. Hard stop. Someone here made a good point about managing the transmission for engine braking when towing downhill... and that's a good point I suppose. Someone also made a point about manually "downshifting" the CVT for passing performance, and that made me LOL.
True there are no "gears" to shift. But the paddles let you control the RPM range you're in, and that is the whole point of them. You can keep the engine speed up for towing, passing, down-hilling, etc.. I don't like the CVT or the paddle shifters at all, but it was the only option.

When it blows up I will be installing a MT at 1/2 the price of a CVT.
soobcrazy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Front Page News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode