post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forrester Diesel
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBD2 and software

Howdy

Can anyone recommend an OBD2 connection? Lots of cheapies out there but not sure whats good or not.

Also what software are people running, again any recommendations would be great :)

Cheers

Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:13 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Sport
Firstly, what type of computer do you have; Windows, Apple iOS, others?
99% of all OBDii readers run on Windows based OS. There are a few wireless readers that are compatible with mobile devices.

I personally use a Actron OBDii reader. Can read “Enhanced DTC’s.” However, I am currently in the search of a newer OBDii reader that can graph multiple PID’s for comparison during possible troubleshooting.
More specifically a Foxwell NT630 Elite. Have not decided yet. My old Actron is no longer supported and is almost 15 years old.

All in, it really depends on your budget. If you have a $300+ budget(US$ and I know it’ll be a tad more for you in the AU) then there’s a few brands; Foxwell, Actron and Autel just to name a few.
However, for the price point of less than $150 US, Foxwell is a pretty good price point for what I’m looking for.

Check Amazon and you’ll see. It looks to be about $222 AU for the Foxtron NT630 Elite.

Again, depending on your needs, you may want a more comprehensive reader such as the Foxwell NT650. Much more diagnostic functions.

Best of luck

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:40 PM
Administrator
Contributing Member

Car Year: MY03
Car Model: XS Premium / Luxury
Transmission: 4EAT w/diff lock
G'day @Mulga

I have 2 devices. One is a bluetooth dongle that plugs into the OBDII port and then interfaces to my android phone with the "Torque Pro" app.

The other is a hardwired device called ScanGauge II.

These have been all I've needed without going to the more expensive scanners and laptop software.

MY'03 XS AT offroad; MY10 Triton GLX-R
MY'97 Outback RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:34 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: 5 MT
Which Bluetooth dongle do you have? I bought one for my Subaru but it wouldn't work with the 03 Subaru, worked on my Ford Explorer though?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Contributing Member

Car Year: MY03
Car Model: XS Premium / Luxury
Transmission: 4EAT w/diff lock
@Miker104 due to circumstances beyond my control I may not be able to answer this for a while :-)

Refer:
https://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...report-799763/

MY'03 XS AT offroad; MY10 Triton GLX-R
MY'97 Outback RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Has anyone used the BlueDriver scan tool?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:27 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester Diesel
Transmission: 6MT
Dan,

unfortunately I think the 'cheapies' have become more phony than cheap now. My 'cheapie' has done well for many years, however, it does poll at a slow rate.

One good one that I have purchased since is OBDLink. I got the MX version (which gives extra access for Mazda/Ford vehicles), however you could probably use the LX version if you don't have a Mazda/Ford vehicle. This does poll at a higher rate, although the linking can be annoying.

and seems to like it, for what it is.

Note that it's still not a patch on a professional level tool which can dig deep into the different units on your vehicle. But it doesn't cost as much as those either!

Patrick
2010 Forester Diesel (wife's now)
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:37 AM
Forum Member

@Miker104 , since you're posting in an Australian forum I'll assume you're in Australia (and N KY doesn't mean North Kentucky, USA). The reason the OBD-II dongle doesn't work with your 2003 Forester is likely because OBD-II (or more pedantically, the Australian implementation of it which is pin & signal compatible anyway) wasn't mandated until 1-Jan-2005 for light passenger vehicles, and then only new models.

Some vehicles did work anyway, the manufacturers probably didn't see the point of not fitting it and may have used it for their own diagnostics anyway. For example, my 2004 Mazda 3 SP23 works even though it wasn't legally required yet.

Patrick
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitrack_1 View Post
Dan,

unfortunately I think the 'cheapies' have become more phony than cheap now. My 'cheapie' has done well for many years, however, it does poll at a slow rate.

One good one that I have purchased since is OBDLink. I got the MX version (which gives extra access for Mazda/Ford vehicles), however you could probably use the LX version if you don't have a Mazda/Ford vehicle. This does poll at a higher rate, although the linking can be annoying.

and seems to like it, for what it is.

Note that it's still not a patch on a professional level tool which can dig deep into the different units on your vehicle. But it doesn't cost as much as those either!

Thanks for your help, I just ordered the OBDLink MX off ebay.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:31 AM
Forum Member

@Mulga If you leave the OBDLink plugged into the vehicle and have trouble relinking to it next time you drive, try unplugging the OBDLink and plugging it back in. I find this usually does the trick rather than having to press the OBDLink's button to reconnect with a new code.

If running, Torque Pro may then take (say) 30 seconds to connect as it cycles through the different protocols.

Mulga likes this.

Patrick
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:40 AM
スーパー モデレーター

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
@Mulga you might consider what @Kevin mentioned, a Scangauge II or an UltraGauge.

We have a Scangauge II installed in each of our vehicles. You can view my installation write up here in my Member Journal: ScanGauge II is installed!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]
Mulga likes this.

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno stock Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: 5 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitrack_1 View Post
@Miker104 , since you're posting in an Australian forum I'll assume you're in Australia (and N KY doesn't mean North Kentucky, USA). The reason the OBD-II dongle doesn't work with your 2003 Forester is likely because OBD-II (or more pedantically, the Australian implementation of it which is pin & signal compatible anyway) wasn't mandated until 1-Jan-2005 for light passenger vehicles, and then only new models.

Some vehicles did work anyway, the manufacturers probably didn't see the point of not fitting it and may have used it for their own diagnostics anyway. For example, my 2004 Mazda 3 SP23 works even though it wasn't legally required yet.
No I am not in Aus, I was just asking what others had bought for the cable. My 2003 was a North American Build spec
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:42 AM
Forum Member

@Miker104 Ok, sorry. A few suggestions:

1a) It should work with your 03 if it is a USA model as OBDII was mandated from 1996 (I think) in the USA (shows how backward Oz was/is).

1b) If by "North American Build spec" you mean, say, Canada you'll need to check when OBDII was mandated for there.

2) The issue may not be the dongle (given it works with another car) and maybe perhaps the socket and/or the car's ECU/wiring harness. I know I have a suspect socket on one of my cars, both 'dongles' I have have to be fiddled to just the right position to get 'em to work. To confirm this, if there's an auto chain store nearby that does free readouts you could ask them to test with one of theirs.

3) Your dongle may be a bit temperamental, have certain protocol/communication speed issues and/or even be Mazda/Ford specific as they use an alternate set of pins and protocols for Ford/Mazda specific comms (although it may be the same info). If you have a mate with another Subaru, you could ask to try it on that.

Patrick
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:51 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulga View Post
Howdy

Can anyone recommend an OBD2 connection? Lots of cheapies out there but not sure whats good or not.

Also what software are people running, again any recommendations would be great :)

Cheers

Dan
I use UltraGauge - it's pretty cool. The LCD screen is configurable to monitor & display just about anything available on the OBD2. That's in addition to reading (and clearing) current and pending TCs. When I drove a Baja Turbo, I set it up as a set of additional gauges and monitored stuff like boost on each bank; oil & air intake temps; some other stuff.

It was also useful diagnosing the catalytic converter failure in my son's 05 Legacy - useful in the sense that I could read the O2 sensor voltages.

Google: ultra-gauge (as a new member I can't post links)
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:34 PM
Casper reincarnated

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Honda CR-V AWD
Transmission: 5 Sp A/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoCares621 View Post
I use UltraGauge - it's pretty cool. The LCD screen is configurable to monitor & display just about anything available on the OBD2. That's in addition to reading (and clearing) current and pending TCs. When I drove a Baja Turbo, I set it up as a set of additional gauges and monitored stuff like boost on each bank; oil & air intake temps; some other stuff.

It was also useful diagnosing the catalytic converter failure in my son's 05 Legacy - useful in the sense that I could read the O2 sensor voltages.

Google: ultra-gauge (as a new member I can't post links)
UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

I used to use an Ultraguage (wired) in my 2003 XS Forester too, mainly used it for the water temp as I never trusted the Subaru needle type gauge.
The gauge is approximately the same size as a credit card, if you search the net you can find a a few DIY mounts that people have made/adapted to make the buttons on the rear become push buttons from the front.

From recollection the gauge used to detect 40 different sensors on my Forester. It will only detect whatever sensors Suabru has installed into the vehicle, naturally no sensor - no information.

I still have the gauge and have temporarily connected it to my 2013 Honda CRV to check the water temp on it too.

Peter

2016 Honda CRV AWD
Ex 2003 XS Forester

Last edited by Subyroo; 05-15-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > International Forums > Australia / New Zealand

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode