('19+) DIY Engine hood seal stops water and salt entering engine bay (merged thread) - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

32Likes

post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
New User

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Premium
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY Engine hood seal stops water and salt entering engine bay (merged thread)

2019 Premium – I discovered that water and salt spray enters the engine compartment via the top of the grill. The opening just below the Subaru emblem where the hood closes down on the grill is wide open. There is no weather stripping or any barriers to prevent water, snow, salt, etc.… from getting into the engine compartment. My 2013 Outback Premium has a couple levels of weather strips to prevent this.

I purchased a length of weather stripping from a local auto supply store and have sealed the hood. The seal is attached to the hood itself and spans the distance between where the headlight seals exist when the hood is closed. This keeps out most of the debris. My first attempt was to place a seal further back on the grill in the same area but it wasn’t as effective.

I formally reported this to Subaru of America in February 2019, and was informed that they take customer input and hold monthly reviews with engineers and product designers. Hopefully there will be a TSB or some prompt response to resolve this issue. It’s hard to believe this got past product testing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:04 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester S
Your car was fine without any additional weather-stripping. As someone who works for an OEM vehicle manufacturer I can promise you that Subaru did plenty of road spray testing in a wet cell. Based on your car not having a seal there, they did not feel it was necessary.

Besides, who cares if water and "salt" get into your engine bay? The front of the car is, literally, designed to allow air to flow into the front of the car, through the engine bay and escape out from under the car. When it rains, water follows the air along this path. When you drive in the rain, road spray follows air through this same path. This is completely normal and your car doesn't need a seal there (unless it was missed in production, or was somehow lost between the plant and your driveway.)

TL;DR - Much ado about nothing.

Bruce Snyder likes this.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
New User

Clarification of issue/concern

I need to clarify my concern. I understand the engine compartment is not water tight. My concern is related to the finding of water and salt covering the engine cover, battery, oil filter, ABS module, and many other areas. These deposits over time probably will cause issues. I have never owned a vehicle that allowed the top of the engine and other critical components to become so soiled.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:18 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Subaru Forester Base
Can you provide some pictures of what you ended up doing? That would be great!
Natedog likes this.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:39 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 18'
Car Model: 2.5 Premium 6MT
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Sequel View Post
I need to clarify my concern. I understand the engine compartment is not water tight. My concern is related to the finding of water and salt covering the engine cover, battery, oil filter, ABS module, and many other areas. These deposits over time probably will cause issues. I have never owned a vehicle that allowed the top of the engine and other critical components to become so soiled.
Where there is salt spray there is airflow and airflow is a good thing. If you are in a coastal area salt spray is almost volatilized into the air and exists indoors / outdoors / inside the passenger compartment etc. Even considering the 'fix' you have implemented salt will still deposit inside the engine bay. By having adequate airflow you help keep condensation and moisture from being trapped "airing out" the compartment. The best approach is to regularly rinse all components that are water sealed and exposed to salt. God knows the suspension is attacked by salt from the sea or road and your best protection after a snow is clean water rinse of the affected parts.

I wouldn't stress about this too much.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 09:01 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
+1 from someone living coastal. Airflow is good. Owner is responsible for vehicle upkeep and regular maintenance.

If salt spray is of concern, “gently” rinse off and “gently” use air hose/leaf blower to assist drying near critical components.

Last edited by Kevin; 03-02-2019 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Unnecessary use of Quote
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 09:15 AM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
You shouldn't do this. Airflow removes heat. Heat causes components to deteriorate. The grill was designed to allow the necessary flow.

Be careful what you wish for.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 09:25 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester
It happens on every car I've ever driven, just hose it down in spring (regular hose, not pressure washer).
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
New User

I’m in the Midwest so the salt is the chemical road salt used in the winters here not ambient coastal salt spray. (I wish I had that issue)

I agree that airflow is important but this is the only vehicle I’ve owned that allows for that much to accumulate on TOP of the engine and components.

I wash the vehicle frequently as I have an unlimited wash program. Regular rinsing of the engine, battery, and other sensitive components should not be done. I’ll be very disappointed if I have to frequently clean these areas by hand. My 2013 Outback still looks new and I do not have this issue with it. It has two levels of weather stripping on its’ hood. One is on the lip just above the grill the other several inches back specifically to keep water out.

I also thought that something may have been removed in the prepping of the vehicle for delivery, but no. I have looked at another 2019 Forester at the dealer and it also has no such protection.

I’ll attempt to get the requested pictures of the installed molding posted.
Natedog and scarzy19 like this.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:29 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: Forester XT
I experienced the same thing on my 18 XT this year. I was surprised at the amount that got through in a short amount of time. However, it only happened once (to that extent), which made me think it was a number of variables that contributed to it....and it's been a snowy dirty mess here this year

However, you say rinsing should not be done. I have infrequently misted my engine bay clean for years on multiple cars without issue.

post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
New User

My first post of pictures, hope it works out.

Here is the sequence (I hope). The top of the grill to start - The Gap from the top of Grill into the Engine compartment (I had a work light inside) - Weather Strip applied to top Grill rail (I had to move it form the Hood as it would not adhere well) - Hood seals - Hood seal detail (These cover from the Grill to the Headlight fixture - Weather Strip installed - Center detail (does not interfere with the hood latch) - Closed detail Left - Center - Right. These views are look up, when viewed head on it looks fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	504571   Click image for larger version

Name:	GapSize.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	504573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fix.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	504575   Click image for larger version

Name:	HoodCorners.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	504577   Click image for larger version

Name:	CornerDetail.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	504579  

Name:	FixDetailCenter.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	504581   Click image for larger version

Name:	ClosedLft.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	504583   Click image for larger version

Name:	ClosedCtr.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	504585   Click image for larger version

Name:	ClosedRt.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	504587  
Natedog, scarzy19 and UPnorthMI like this.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 04:44 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 19
Car Model: 19 Touring, 17TrgXT
I noticed the same thing on my 19 Touring. Splash pattern of salt deposits on the top plastic cover and components. We have a 17 XT Touring that is driven on the same roads and this spray pattern and deposits are not present.
Natedog likes this.

Subaru Ambassador, 17 XT (his) & 19 Touring (Hers)
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 05:16 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Limited
I too noticed the splatters of road salt on the TOP of the engine (19 limited), at least compared to my previous cars. I did wonder about it, but it seems to mostly end up on the plastic parts/covers, and haven't been too worried about it.

My old Jetta had salt and moisture build up in places I couldn't see..... which probably is a worse scenario!
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 05:54 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Touring
Is it possible that the shutters on the 19 are contributing to the water going upward over the engine? I don’t know which, if any, earlier Foresters have shutters.

2019 Touring -Red
2019 Touring - Green
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 06:43 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring
Transmission: CVT7
engine hood seal (DIY)

I am not sure why no engine hood seal on 2019 ...
I noticed engine getting dirty/ dusty very fast, but after 20 min in the rain engine looked terrible

so i added seal myself
2 days letter in the rain and engine still clean so far

here some pictures before and after the seal was installed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E1.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	504603   Click image for larger version

Name:	E2.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	504605   Click image for larger version

Name:	E3.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	504607   Click image for larger version

Name:	E4.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	504609   Click image for larger version

Name:	E5.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	504611  

Name:	E6.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	504613   Click image for larger version

Name:	E7.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	504615  
Natedog and a1penguin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Exterior and Body

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode