('19+) WiFi, Hotspot, tethering - best affordable options? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Touring
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WiFi, Hotspot, tethering - best affordable options?

Researching what are the best affordable options for activating the vehicle`s hotpot? Is there an affordable unlimlted plan or am I on drugs? Tethering to a phone and data plan overages traps I would like to avoid.

The Ocecolakidtoo *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:07 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
I don't think Subarus have WiFi hotspot.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:23 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Foz

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:50 AM
Forum Member

Location: The mountains of Central PA - Near Penn State University
Car Model: Forester - Touring
If you subscribe to one or more services from Comcast, you can get cell phone service through them. They actually use the Verizon network as a reseller. My wife and I switched to Comcast cellular last fall and out total net cellular service bill dropped nearly 50%! My wife travels a LOT for her job and uses a lot of data for WAYS and other online service. Her plan has unlimited data and it works great as a hotspot. We have only had our Forester a few weeks and have only used Pandora and WAYS a few times but it works fine. I don’t think we need or want to activate another service plan to use the Forester hotspot. I have issues with Comcast like everyone else but the Cellular service is excellent and affordable. I mention all of this just to provide another possible alternative for you.

To be clear, although the above ay sound like a commercial, I have absolutely no connection to or affiliation with Comcast in ANY way whatsoever beyond being a satisfied customer as I state above.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:28 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have the unlimited plan in my Ascent. Costs me $20 a month. All depends on what "affordable" means to you, I guess. I love the convenience of having a fast, reliable connection on the go. The wife enjoys it too, as she can use our WiFi only iPad on long trips.

2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
2015 XT Touring- Fake STI -Sold
Subaru Ambassador
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:37 AM
Forum Member

@sneefy Is that US only thing? I don't think we have that in Canada.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:35 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Foz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC_Blue View Post
@sneefy Is that US only thing? I don't think we have that in Canada.
It's not entirely clear. It's through AT&T, and if you check the terms on the AT&T connected car page it states "US Only" for the Unlimited plan.

Later in the same terms, it says "Wi-Fi hotspot functionality not available outside of U.S. & Canada. Service in Canada depends upon availability of unaffiliated carrier coverage.".

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-...aru.html#legal
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:14 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: '17
Car Model: Impreza Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz007 View Post
I have the unlimited plan in my Ascent. Costs me $20 a month. All depends on what "affordable" means to you, I guess. I love the convenience of having a fast, reliable connection on the go. The wife enjoys it too, as she can use our WiFi only iPad on long trips.
How is the performance? Have you measured your connection speeds via a site like speedtest.net ?

'17 Impreza HB
previous car: '06 Forester X
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:58 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneefy View Post
It's not entirely clear. It's through AT&T, and if you check the terms on the AT&T connected car page it states "US Only" for the Unlimited plan.

Later in the same terms, it says "Wi-Fi hotspot functionality not available outside of U.S. & Canada. Service in Canada depends upon availability of unaffiliated carrier coverage.".

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-...aru.html#legal
Thanks. I haven't seen that feature on Subaru Canada website. I wouldn't subscribe to it anyway since I don't see enough value for my use.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:25 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMySubaru2 View Post
How is the performance? Have you measured your connection speeds via a site like speedtest.net ?
Performance is quite good, all things considered. I get a steady 12Mbps both upload and download, usually. While most might balk at those numbers, it's plenty to keep everything running smoothly, especially in a vehicle moving 70 MPH.

The other thing that impresses is that the signal strength is a LOT stronger than our AT&T phones. We've been able to have an HD Facetime conversation while driving through the Everglades, when neither the wife's phone or mine had any service. It's been rock solid.

ILuvMySubaru2 likes this.

2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
2015 XT Touring- Fake STI -Sold
Subaru Ambassador
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:50 PM
Forum Member

data plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osceolakidt00! View Post
Researching what are the best affordable options for activating the vehicle`s hotpot? Is there an affordable unlimlted plan or am I on drugs? Tethering to a phone and data plan overages traps I would like to avoid.
I have recently replaced the satNav system in my S3 forester xt premium with an android 8.0 head unit off ebay. At first I had 2 sim only plans one for the phone and one for the head unit but I have recently changed to have 1 larger sim only plan for the phone and use connecting of the BT to my phone from the car to activate the hotspot on the phone and the car then uses this for internet. I am paying $25 per month for 14GB of data but I am in Aus where we get screwed for everything so you will probably be able to get a better deal.

my 2c worth.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:26 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Transmission: 5-speed manual
I bought a dedicated hotspot from T-Mobile, and an out going version at that, 5 years ago. I have used it in vacation rentals and on the road in the US, in Canada, and, if I remember correctly, I have used it in Europe too. On my T-mobile account it has it own phone number. Plug it with its own charger, USB cable, or internal battery and you are good to go as long as you have power.
MC_Blue likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:41 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Sport
Transmission: cvt
I went with the AT&T. Don't recall prices at this point. I think I went for one of the extended periods? I don't recall if unlimited but was well less than upping the data on my Verizon plan for the phone comparably. Kind of odd that one uses the hot spot to feed the phone which runs the Android and Starlink to the car which carries the hotspot. OTOH, expecting or hoping the car would have a built in phone/pc it might be hard to stay up to date/compatible. It's erratic now and then with the phoe linked by usb, bluetooth and/or wireless.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring
https://20somethingfinance.com/cheap...hotspot-plans/
danornan likes this.

The Ocecolakidtoo *

Last edited by Osceolakidt00!; 04-25-2019 at 03:04 AM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:34 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 10
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
T Mobile has one that you hook into the port in your car. It all works through an app on your phone. They just charge you for an extra line on it. I'm on a Veteran plan, so mine I'm sure is a lot cheaper (I pay 15 a month for unlimited extra lines with unlimited data). Has its own number and coverage and streaming is pretty good. (the free Nexflix on there is also an added bonus).

Still looking for Skubi2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics