User Tag List

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester 2.5xPremium
Transmission: AT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Speaker Wiring Adapaters/Spacers

I know a lot of people have threads about speaker installs and I checked em and had no luck finding what I was looking for. I found similar info but for a 2006 and I have a 2011.

I just got some free speakers from a firend, JL Audio CS525, and I wanted to install them in the front and rear doors. I went to CRUTCHFIELDdotCOM and looked for em but they dont tell you exactly which adapters you need, they only give you their own sku numbers. I tried to google em with no luck.

I was looking on Amazon(love being a Prime Member - 2 day shipping) and they seem to be a lot cheaper if I can find the right one and since I already have my door panels off I was hoping to get it here fast.

Any body upgrade their speakers and happen to remember which part number it was?

Thanks for the help

'11X BOP The Leak- traded in
'13X BOP The Newness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: WRX
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanR View Post
I know a lot of people have threads about speaker installs and I checked em and had no luck finding what I was looking for. I found similar info but for a 2006 and I have a 2011.

I just got some free speakers from a firend, JL Audio CS525, and I wanted to install them in the front and rear doors. I went to CRUTCHFIELDdotCOM and looked for em but they dont tell you exactly which adapters you need, they only give you their own sku numbers. I tried to google em with no luck.

I was looking on Amazon(love being a Prime Member - 2 day shipping) and they seem to be a lot cheaper if I can find the right one and since I already have my door panels off I was hoping to get it here fast.

Anybody upgrade their speakers and happen to remember which part number it was?

Thanks for the help
For the wiring adapters, you probaby need four Metra 72-8104 adapters. They come in packs of 2, so two packs of 2. I'd try to call a local audio shop to confirm. They may not be of much help, as the 2012 Metra catalog has a LOT of holes in it. I emailed Metra and they sent me a copy but it does not cover applications for speaker wiring harnesses- only HU wiring.

If you have your doors apart, compare what you have to the pictures here:

Wiring | Subaru Audio

As for the spacers, you have 6.5" speakers now, and the CS-525 (do you mean C5-525?) speakers are a 5.25" speaker that requires a 4.5" cutout (most 6.5" speakers have a cutout of between 5" and 5.75"). You will be able to use the OEM tweeter mounting configuration in the front, but the rear will not have a place for the tweeter...unless I misunderstand you and you have one set of the C5-525 or the C5-525x, which are the matching/corresponding coaxial speakers.

The first step in getting the correct mounting adapters or spacers will be in verifying what speaker model(s) you have.

No matter what, you need some sort of adapter/spacer for both the front and the rear. Given the differences in size between the OEM 6.5" speakers and the JL 5.25" speakers (regardless of the specific model) you will require some sort of adapter. You may also need a spacer due to the deeper depth of the JL speaker. Most spacers also function as adapters and vice versa.

Here is some info on spacers:
Subaru Speaker Spacers | Subaru Audio

You are unlikely to find the proper mounting adapters/spacers on Amazon, though you could get the wiring there if the pictures in that top link help you determine what wiring adapters you need. I ordered my wiring for the front doors from Amazon.

Let me know if I can be of more assistance.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5xPremium
Transmission: AT
Thank you so much for all the info, and especially the prompt response! Im gonna check out those links and Ill post my findings here when Im done so anyone else can have a full reference. Thanks again

'11X BOP The Leak- traded in
'13X BOP The Newness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode