('14-'18) Speaker Sizes? - Page 2 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

post #16 of 216 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What about head unit upgrade, can you do it without loosing your multifuntional display.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 216 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: WRX
Transmission: 5MT
The rear doors look like one of the 2 "regular" Subaru 3-hole configurations (not including the "new" BRZ/FR-S configuration, which is Toyota/Scion-derived). If you measure the triangle I can confirm it with a stock speaker or existing adapter template that I have.

In the front, that is PROBABLY a fairly standard 6x9" shape and mounting configuration, but the 4 holes might have proprietary locations. Measuring the rectangular hole configuration will help with determining that.

If someone is willing to pull a stock speaker and send it to me I'll be happy to send you some 6x9" to 6.5" adapters to try out. Of course, I'll send you back your stock speaker as well.

Front door connectors look like they need the Metra 72-8104 (see picture here: Wiring | Subaru Audio). I can;t see the rear connector but I'd bet that they are the same. If you can post a shot of the connection point I can confirm.

In the dash, that looks like the same physical mounting pattern as the BRZ/FR-S and the '12+ Impreza, but the speakers are different and the connectors look new.

I don't really recognize those dash harnesses from any past Subaru. May be a Toyota or Nissan connector- I'd guess Toyota if I was placing a bet on it.

I will try to call Metra and see what they know. I don't actually DEAL their products but I was somehow made a Metra dealer after calling them up to ask for product info. I can access their dealer tech support- maybe someone there knows something.

Not likely, as they are still far behind on the '13 BRZ/FR-S wiring, but it won't hurt to ask.

post #18 of 216 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswolf4918 View Post
I'm curious about the Kicker speaker upgrade. Is it available yet? All I've found is that it'll be available 2nd quarter of '13. Anyone know the invoice price of it? Planning on ordering an XT Premium soon, and I wonder if it's a worthwhile upgrade.
I got a price from NJ dealership of $440 for the 2 tweeters and 4 door speakers. Another $330 for install. I can't justify $770 for kicker speakers. There are better options for that money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 216 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleThePleasure View Post
I got a price from NJ dealership of $440 for the 2 tweeters and 4 door speakers. Another $330 for install. I can't justify $770 for kicker speakers. There are better options for that money.
This is a crazy price. Since I have had the door panels off of mine to take the pictures above, I can tell you that the labor involved to replace the speakers is about 15 minutes per door, and probably 10 minutes total for the dash. Total install time would be about an hour, since the brackets and wiring harnesses will already fit. It is truly as easy as popping out the panels, unscrewing the speakers, screwing the new ones in, and plugging them in. Aftermarket speakers will take a bit longer since you need to mess with spacers and brackets and might have to splice the wires, but $330 for an install is a ridiculous price and $440 is probably too much for kicker speakers as well, though I've not heard them.
post #20 of 216 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.0XT Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswolf4918 View Post
I'm curious about the Kicker speaker upgrade. Is it available yet? All I've found is that it'll be available 2nd quarter of '13. Anyone know the invoice price of it? Planning on ordering an XT Premium soon, and I wonder if it's a worthwhile upgrade.
FYI all,

As a follow-up to my questions....If you're wondering, the Kicker speaker upgrade is now available. It's $216 (invoice) to get it factory/port-installed. Ordered an XT Premium about a week ago with the option. I'll let you all know if it's worthwhile....
post #21 of 216 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMtb View Post
This is a crazy price. Since I have had the door panels off of mine to take the pictures above, I can tell you that the labor involved to replace the speakers is about 15 minutes per door, and probably 10 minutes total for the dash. Total install time would be about an hour, since the brackets and wiring harnesses will already fit. It is truly as easy as popping out the panels, unscrewing the speakers, screwing the new ones in, and plugging them in. Aftermarket speakers will take a bit longer since you need to mess with spacers and brackets and might have to splice the wires, but $330 for an install is a ridiculous price and $440 is probably too much for kicker speakers as well, though I've not heard them.
If I upgrade to better speakers will I have to upgrade the wiring as well or just use the wires that are already there? How can I find a diagram for removing the door panels? Ideally I would just buy some nice speakers off of eBay and install myself. Down the road I may bump it up with an amp and sub, but for now I want to just put in some speakers and see if that gives me the desired sound upgrade.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 216 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleThePleasure View Post
If I upgrade to better speakers will I have to upgrade the wiring as well or just use the wires that are already there? How can I find a diagram for removing the door panels? Ideally I would just buy some nice speakers off of eBay and install myself. Down the road I may bump it up with an amp and sub, but for now I want to just put in some speakers and see if that gives me the desired sound upgrade.
If you don't add an amp, the existing wires will be fine. Diagram for removing door panels was posted earlier in this thread. You will need to build or buy a spacer to mount the speakers as well. I'll post pictures and write about my experience when I upgrade mine in a week or two.
post #23 of 216 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I agree, 440 for Kicker's seems REALLY high. I can update to 6 Focal Polyglass for about the same price and Kicker is no where close to being in the same league as Focal. The plug-n-play aspect of the Kickers is nice, but I'm sure there will aftermarket adapters out within a few months, if not already.

I'm wanting to swap the "B" radio in my Premium with a NAV from a BRZ just waiting to confirm if it is plug-n-play.

2014 Forester Premium
2013 XV Crosstrek Premium
post #24 of 216 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenryiv1 View Post
Front door connectors look like they need the Metra 72-8104 (see picture here: Wiring | Subaru Audio). I can;t see the rear connector but I'd bet that they are the same. If you can post a shot of the connection point I can confirm.
I can confirm that the rear door connectors are the same as the front door connectors.
post #25 of 216 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
I agree, 440 for Kicker's seems REALLY high. I can update to 6 Focal Polyglass for about the same price and Kicker is no where close to being in the same league as Focal. The plug-n-play aspect of the Kickers is nice, but I'm sure there will aftermarket adapters out within a few months, if not already.

I'm wanting to swap the "B" radio in my Premium with a NAV from a BRZ just waiting to confirm if it is plug-n-play.
I already make one for the rear, and I will develop a front one as soon as I can get my hands on a front speaker.

post #26 of 216 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 04:54 AM
Forum Member

Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Info and Front Door Speaker/Size Recommendation

This has been a really useful page. Ever since I took delivery of 2014 I have been chomping at the bit to start replacing the sound system, but there was so little info on what was needed. But I just want to make sure that I got all the info correct. So, all the stock door speakers are 5.25, but the front can fit a 6x9 with a bracket and a large spacer? And I've picked up some Pioneer rear speakers but still haven't decided on what front door speakers to go with and, more specifically, what size I should go with. Does anyone have any recommendation of what size I should use or a specific pair of front door speakers I should get?
post #27 of 216 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 05:30 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08/14SUBARU View Post
This has been a really useful page. Ever since I took delivery of 2014 I have been chomping at the bit to start replacing the sound system, but there was so little info on what was needed. But I just want to make sure that I got all the info correct. So, all the stock door speakers are 5.25, but the front can fit a 6x9 with a bracket and a large spacer? And I've picked up some Pioneer rear speakers but still haven't decided on what front door speakers to go with and, more specifically, what size I should go with. Does anyone have any recommendation of what size I should use or a specific pair of front door speakers I should get?
No...

The rears are a 6.5" speaker and require a bracket to mount them for both purposes of spacing to clear the window and to adapt to the factory holes. The fronts are a 6x9 but can be swapped out for a 6.5" with an adapter that performs the same functions. Obviously that will have to be a different style of adapter.
post #28 of 216 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 06:45 AM
Forum Member

My misundering, I was going by the post and the pictures that MTMtb posted. The measurement he posted were 5.50 for the front and rear doors speakers, with the front using a large bracket for a 6x9 speaker. But, correct me if I'm wrong, what your saying is that with the right brakets and spacers I can fit 6.5 speakers in all four doors. And those would be the size speakers that you recommend, not a 6x9 speaker? Also, I'm sorry to be giving you the third degree, but when it comes to my cars I like knowing all the details first because I had a bad expereince with the install of speakers and a stereo in my Impreza, in spite of the fact that it was done by Best Buy...
post #29 of 216 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 06:59 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
The measurement he posted were 5.50 for the front and rear doors speakers, with the front using a large bracket for a 6x9 speaker. But, correct me if I'm wrong, what your saying is that with the right brakets and spacers I can fit 6.5 speakers in all four doors. And those would be the size speakers that you recommend, not a 6x9 speaker?
The 5.5" measurement is about right for what manufacturers call a "6.5 inch" speaker.

With adapters, you will be able to put a 6.5" speaker in the location that the 6x9 formerly occupied, similar to this (it was a 5x8 to 6.5" conversion, but a 6x9 to 6.5" will be very similar):

The rears will look like this:

Quote:
My misundering, I was going by the post and the pictures that MTMtb posted...I'm sorry to be giving you the third degree, but when it comes to my cars I like knowing all the details first
No apology needed- better to ask than to assume.
Quote:
I had a bad experience with the install of speakers and a stereo in my Impreza, in spite of the fact that it was done by Best Buy...
That explains a lot. You can get good installers there form time to time, but typically you get the fastest install they can do- not the best.
post #30 of 216 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Forum Member

Thank you so much for your help, this has truly been a great help. I just have a couple more questions. So, I've got new 6.5 inch speakers picked out, but where can I find the brackets and connectors for the new speakers or do I just reuse and splice the speakers using the factory equipment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode