('06-'08) single to double din swap, do I need anything? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By T-stew

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
single to double din swap, do I need anything?

I have the factory single disc CD player, I'm going to upgrade the unit and debating going to double din unit. Will a double din fit in without needing any additional brackets or anything? I know I'll loose the little storage tray but I plan on mainly using usb thumb drive. I checked crutchfield they had info from single to single, double to double, and double to single, but couldnt find anything for sure about what is needed to go from single to double, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 06:01 PM
スーパー モデレーター

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
I switched from a double DIN to single. The factory brackets will work on either setup.

Take a look at my audio write up in my Member Journal: Audio Upgrade - Part 4

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno stock Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:37 PM
Forum Member

Just out of curiosity what double DIN are you looking into? I've been thinking of doing the same thing to my '06 X. I don't want to spend a ton, though, so I was thinking in the under $200 range (but closer to $100!). Also, if/when you do upgrade, can you post about it if there were any problems or issues to be aware of? Thanks!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks 2.5x... though I am a bit worried about the extra hassle removing the panel with the mechanical controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbarthur View Post
Just out of curiosity what double DIN are you looking into? I've been thinking of doing the same thing to my '06 X. I don't want to spend a ton, though, so I was thinking in the under $200 range (but closer to $100!). Also, if/when you do upgrade, can you post about it if there were any problems or issues to be aware of? Thanks!
I'm still deciding. DVD and fancy graphics and maybe a backup camera sound cool. But I'm generally a more minimalist and frugal. I just want some better sound (I may upgrade speakers too) and the ability to play off a thumb drive where I can have like my entire collection of music. I'm looking at a few on amazon like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER close to the $100 price point
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:46 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 06
Car Model: XSL
Transmission: Automatic
Mine was 2DIN to begin with - AUDM, and it was fine as long as you wanted CD and radio, otherwise no AUX and no MP3 support. Ended up changing to an Alpine 2DIN. Then late last year upgraded to an Alpine that does CarPlay, but found the position of the head unit wasn't ideal as my elbow would obscure a big chunk of the screen, including Maps. So ended up fitting that in a gauge pod on the dash.

Australian MY06 Regal Blue XSL Auto
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:00 AM
スーパー モデレーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-stew View Post
Thanks 2.5x... though I am a bit worried about the extra hassle removing the panel with the mechanical controls.
@T-stew did you look at the PDF I attached at the bottom of that post I linked you to? It has instructions on how to remove the manual climate controls.

Bobby...

'95 Neon Sport
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

No I missed that link, I'll go back and look for it thanks!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:13 AM
スーパー モデレーター

The first time you detach the manual climate control cables, it's a challenge.

Basically, they're detached, under the dash on either side, then the climate control panel pulls out with the cables attached. The trick is to reinstall the cables "exactly" as they were, when you reinstall the climate control panel, or the cables will bind. Look carefully how the cables are routed before you remove the climate control panel so you know how the cables have to route when you reinstall them.

Lastly, make sure you place the cable ends in the retainer locks, or they will pop out when the controls are operated.

Bobby...

'95 Neon Sport
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 12:06 AM
Forum Member

Quote:

I'm still deciding. DVD and fancy graphics and maybe a backup camera sound cool. But I'm generally a more minimalist and frugal. I just want some better sound (I may upgrade speakers too) and the ability to play off a thumb drive where I can have like my entire collection of music. I'm looking at a few on amazon like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER close to the $100 price point
Yes, I was also debating whether or not to get a DVD / touchscreen but the more I think about it the more unnecessary the DVD function would be. Touch screen would be nice, but at the $100-$150 price they seem to be iffy on the reviews. I already have a DVR dash cam/rear cam that serves as my backup camera, too. The Sony you linked seems pretty decent. I am also thinking of getting an underseat subwoofer (the cheapest model I can find) just for a little more oomph, and some regular speakers...depending on the tax return. ;)

BTW, if you want something to hold you over, the FM bluetooth transmitters ranging from $5-20 are decent for playing music off of USBs or from your smart phone.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks again Bobby. I think the only thing that remains is to get one of those tools to help remove the dash panels, not sure is that something I can get at a local auto parts place like advanced auto parts or napa?

Jason.. I debated for a while on the touchscreen/dvd but really I have hardly any DVDs I'm mostly all bluray now so DVD player isn't of much use. And the lower end touchscreen ones seem to not get good reviews.

I pulled the trigger on an inexpensive pioneer, actually came in the mail today.

Pioneer FH-X731BT 2-Din CD Receiver with Enhanced Audio Functions

I glanced through the instructions, I can't figure out the wiring. It shows a diagram of the ports on the back but doesn't seem to break out the big plug which I'm scratching my head. I don't even know if the speakers are in there or just the RCA jacks which I'd have to do some splicing? Why in this modern age can't instructions be made more clear.

I've got mon-wed off hopefully will get the stereo installed then. But I am debating adding some better speakers in too, haven't researched yet what the best options are for the factory mounts.

jasonbarthur likes this.

Last edited by T-stew; 05-20-2017 at 08:51 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 01:12 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 06
Car Model: XSL
Transmission: Automatic
Quote:
I think the only thing that remains is to get one of those tools to help remove the dash panels, not sure is that something I can get at a local auto parts place like advanced auto parts or napa?
I bought pry tools from AliExpress, and also a link from Amazon:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AUTO...707230928.html
https://www.amazon.com/KINGLAKE-Pane...dp/B00HNMLQAG/

Quote:
I can't figure out the wiring. It shows a diagram of the ports on the back but doesn't seem to break out the big plug which I'm scratching my head.
What I did was to ignore the wiring harness with the head unit, and bought a Subaru to ISO; and an ISO to (in your case) Pioneer harness. It takes up a little more room, but effectively the Forester and head unit meet up at a common ISO plug. This avoids any soldering, splicing, tapping etc.

I'm not saying it's this one, but the Subaru to ISO harness looks like the one on the right:
https://www.amazon.com/Axxess-BT-890...dp/B0049MWWF6/

Then look up Pioneer to ISO harness to get the one connected to the head unit.

You can then use felt tape to go over the harness to make it neat and tidy before shoving everything back in.

Quote:
haven't researched yet what the best options are for the factory mounts.
I ended up with a spare one from the wreckers.

Australian MY06 Regal Blue XSL Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode