4Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
New User

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Forester owner with CarPlay issues

Hi, everyone ....

I just purchased my first Subaru (a new 2019 Forester Limited) about two weeks ago. For the most part, I like this car - almost everything seems to be working correctly and I am glad that I decided to get it. However, I have had an issue with music skipping on CarPlay from the get-go. It happens when I play music either that I have purchased (and have on my iPhone) or when I play Spotify. These are intermittent skips, lasting for only about 1/2 second each time. It's just annoying, particularly on a brand-new car. FWIW, I have the 8" screen with NAV and the R/F speakers.

The other issue I have with CarPlay is that there is a noticeable lag in connection when I have Bluetooth on - sometimes several minutes. If I disable my car's connection with BT, then CarPlay connects immediately.

In Googling the skipping issue, I found that a number of people have had this problem, but there doesn't appear to be a resolution. I plan to raise these issues with my dealer's service department, but would appreciate any insights or suggestions that others have.

Thanks in advance!!

Anne

JuanGuapo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:42 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
We have zero issues with CarPlay in our 19 Sport. Are you running the latest headunit update? Is your iPhone running the latest iOS?

jmw15 likes this.

2019 Sport
Subaru Ambassador
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
New User

@securityguy I'm not sure as to the head unit update, but I am definitely running the most recent iOS software update.

There is apparently a documented issue with CarPlay skipping. In fact, others have reported the problem within this forum, but most of those posts were from last year.

A.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:37 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
@AnneMD ...I suggest you check to see what version headunit you are running and call your dealer to see what the latest update they have available per the TSB.

2019 Sport
Subaru Ambassador
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:11 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring
I have the same issue with the skipping. I've had my car less than 2 weeks. I assume we can do the software update ourselves based on what i saw in the manual.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 12:33 AM
Contributing Member

Transmission: Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneMD View Post
The other issue I have with CarPlay is that there is a noticeable lag in connection when I have Bluetooth on - sometimes several minutes. If I disable my car's connection with BT, then CarPlay connects immediately.
Iíve experienced the same connection delay problem with CarPlay. Sometimes CarPlay connects almost immediately, and there have been other times when Iíve been driving for five minutes or more before it connects. I havenít experimented with turning Bluetooth off, so I donít know if thatís a factor.

2019 Forester Touring, Pacific Northwest
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:12 AM
Forum Member

Transmission: CVT
OP: Same issue(s) in Ď19 Touring (H/K 8), and in our Ď18 GMC Terrain (Bose 7).

Blips and skips with two different iPhones: iPhone 7 Plus and 6 Plus running 12.3.1. ó sound is terrible, almost like distortion at times. We tried multiple Apple branded cables, makes no difference.

Fortunately (and unfortunately), it happens on two different vehicles, the same issue so that definitely points to the iPhone as our culprit.

Solution: Turned off CarPlay, everything works/sounds beautifully on both systems. Not one issue on BT or over USB (as iPod).

In our Forester, we have the H/K 8 speaker system, the highs and lows really shine while using Media > iPod (vs iPhone in CarPlay). BT sounds fine but I think using it via USB (again, as iPod) gives punchier lows and highs.

One nice thing: the in car audio dictation works fine with the iPhone in iPod mode. You can tell it to pick a song or an album or a genre, and it will play it no problem, streaming or otherwise. ónot as friendly as Siri but still functional.

You can still use Siri in ďeyes free mode.ĒLong press the speak button on your steering wheel and it will trigger Siri through your speakers.

If you want to give this a shot, open the link below and scroll down to where it tells you to turn off CarPlay. Very likely, Apple will fix this in iOS 13. We hope, anyway.

HowTo Link: https://www.imore.com/how-stop-music...aying-your-car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanGuapo View Post
OP: Same issue(s) in Ď19 Touring (H/K 8), and in our Ď18 GMC Terrain (Bose 7).

Solution: Turned off CarPlay, everything works/sounds beautifully on both systems. Not one issue on BT or over USB (as iPod).
Thank you for responding. It's somehow reassuring to know that others are having similar problems. I want to keep CarPlay on while driving for Waze and the ability to answer my iPhone hands-free. Is it possible to have both CarPlay on and have the iPhone plugged in via auxiliary (to listen to music)? I know that CarPlay "overrides" BT, so I'm guessing that the same would happen with an aux cable, but not sure.

I agree that it does sound like an iPhone issue, and from doing a bit of research on the web, it affects other makes of cars, too. I wonder whether Apple is aware of this.

Anne
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:00 PM
Forum Member

Iíve had issue where if have carplay up I canít utilize a USB drive in the other USB port. Also canít use the auxiliary jack. The sources are greyed out on radio and says no media found. Can only access radio. Itís annoying. Iíve e mailed Subaru who says itís an Apple problem and they need to do a software upgrade. Apple support says itís a Subaru issue. My sister owns a gmc and car play works fine with a usb drive plugged into second port. Hopefully someone fixes it
JuanGuapo likes this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:41 PM
Forum Member

Iphone 8, HK speakers. No issues with carplay. Sound is much nicer with Pandora carplay vs Pandora BlueTooth.

JuanGuapo likes this.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:44 PM
Forum Member

Transmission: CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneMD View Post
Thank you for responding. It's somehow reassuring to know that others are having similar problems. I want to keep CarPlay on while driving for Waze and the ability to answer my iPhone hands-free. Is it possible to have both CarPlay on and have the iPhone plugged in via auxiliary (to listen to music)? I know that CarPlay "overrides" BT, so I'm guessing that the same would happen with an aux cable, but not sure.

I agree that it does sound like an iPhone issue, and from doing a bit of research on the web, it affects other makes of cars, too. I wonder whether Apple is aware of this.

Anne
I notice if I havenít used Siri, the ďblips and skipsĒ are not as noticeable or as frequent; however, once I use Siri, the blips/skips start getting more obvious and frequent no matter what I am playing. On the Terrain, the blips/skips are louder than on the Foresterís H/K system.

My wife noticed it immediately on the Terrain with her 6 plus a few months ago, we thought it was the radio or the cable. Once we turned off CarPlay, music sounded just fine over USB as an iPod.

I think letting Apple know what make/model/brand you have of phone and vehicle is a good idea.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Personally, I like CarPlay but I donít like how it monopolizes the entire stereo on the Forester. I listen to SXM a lot so I like having the dictation change the stations when Iím driving...

Ex...
Satellite channel [name]Ē
AM Station [traffic]
Radio preset 2
Temperature to 72 (when Iím feeling especially lazy)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:29 AM
Forum Member

Transmission: CVT7
all Carplay problems started for me with 18.38.50 update .... after updating to 19.01.70 car play been working fine
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

Transmission: Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1964 View Post
Iíve had issue where if have carplay up I canít utilize a USB drive in the other USB port. Also canít use the auxiliary jack. The sources are greyed out on radio and says no media found. Can only access radio. Itís annoying. Iíve e mailed Subaru who says itís an Apple problem and they need to do a software upgrade. Apple support says itís a Subaru issue. My sister owns a gmc and car play works fine with a usb drive plugged into second port. Hopefully someone fixes it
If you have an iPhone plugged in to the USB port to access CarPlay, any USB drive plugged into the other port will be ignored. You can access CarPlay or listen to music from the USB drive, but not both.

2019 Forester Touring, Pacific Northwest
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:44 PM
Forum Member

i see apple is coming out with an update to carplay,in sept. I still think its a subaru issue and they can fix it if they want. Plenty of other car models let you use carplay and usb drive at same time
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:47 PM
Forum Member

where did you get that headunit software update. Is that for maps or just the headunit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode