('19+) Interior Illumination DIY install question - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By frosendo

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Sport
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Interior Illumination DIY install question

Purchased the kit online, only suggests you also purchase access to the Subaru service manual but let me try here first.

The light connection locations and mounting brackets are pretty clear and easy but what I do not see is the harness connection point. Didn't have luck searching for 2019 videos or install hits but if anyone here knows the location of the harness main connection point I can stop laying on my back in the foot well searching for the darn thing!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
Transmission: CVT
Garage
I installed an aftermarket footwell lighting system. I T-tapped the wiring for the blue LED lamp in the center console USB area. I think this is the easiest way to do it. Your footwell illumination will only operate at night with the headlights on, just like it is intended to be used.

You can find some details on my modz page 1, post #3. Unfortunately, I did not detail how to access this are, but it is easy. Just pull the AC controls out, unclip harness and then remove the USB tray. You will need a pry tool to begin the lift but can use fingers to get them both out. They are held in by clips.

Once the AC control is out you can see the stock blue LED. No need to remove it, but if you do then it is held in by a twist holder. I removed mine and added two LED buttons which are much brighter and allows me to see the USB ports at night. The blue one is too dull. The hole is big and I ran several wires through this hole and did no drilling at all. So, if you do future modz, this is a great place to run wires without any of them being seen.

Once you find the LED lamp you can trace the wires and tap the hot wire when the lights are on. I do not recall the colors. But I think the + wire is striped, maybe brown/white. Not sure. Post here if you tap it for reference.

Good luck, this mod was pretty easy and fast to complete.

Cheers,
Scott
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:15 AM
Forum Member

Check out the factory installation PDF. Should have just what you need.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 18_H461SXC000 - Interior Footwell Illumination.pdf (1.63 MB, 36 views)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I’ll give it another go this weekend and let you know. Thanks
twospirits likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode