('19+) Cargo area light add-in available from Subispeed - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Touring
Transmission: Automatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cargo area light add-in available from Subispeed

The new product video for May from Subispeed mentions (towards the end) the availability of a supplemental LED cargo area light that fits the cutout in the lower portion of the cargo door interior. The product page includes an install video for a 2015 Forester. I don't know how similar the install for the 2019 will be. Personally, I found the install video a little intimidating. I could easily see me winding up with trim pieces lying all over and no idea of how to get them back together again. However, some of you who are more mechanically inclined than me (which would be just about everyone) might be more encouraged.

OLM JDM Precision LED Lift Gate Light - 2019+ Forester - 14-18 Forester

An intermediate method for improving the cargo area lighting is to replace the incandescent bulbs in the existing cargo area light fixture with some LED lamps, available from Amazon and elsewhere: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRE38EA

I did install these in the cargo area fixture, in the puddle light fixtures on the underside of the front doors, and in the license plate light fixture. The first two fixtures are very easy to get to (they pop in and out with a plastic pry tool), but removing the license plate light fixture to replace the bulbs is nothing like the owner's manual describes. I wound up wrecking the fixtures and had to order new ones, installed by the dealer. They put the LED lamps into the fixture for me and got them back in securely, but they did not make me privy to how they did it. The LEDs are considerably brighter than the stock incandescent lamps, and are a much cooler, truly white light.

2019 Forester Touring, Pacific Northwest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:48 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Premium
Transmission: Lineartronic® CVT
Garage
The fixture in the cargo area of my Premium (roof mount) accepts a 921 bulb. Instead of the 194 you installed, the 921 LED bulb I acquired has more SMD with 6 of them aimed straight down. I find this to be plenty bright. It sounds like the Touring might have a different fixture in the cargo area.

- Chris
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:52 PM
Forum Member

Garage
Also, when I replaced my license plate bulbs, I remember sliding the fixture first before prying out. It’s a pain, so I hope the LEDs in place now have a long life.

- Chris

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coregrind View Post
Also, when I replaced my license plate bulbs, I remember sliding the fixture first before prying out. It’s a pain, so I hope the LEDs in place now have a long life.
Neither I, the private (non-Subaru dealer) mechanic who usually services my car, nor any of my car-minded friends were able to get the LP fixtures out without forcing them, or back in securely. There is some gimmick to removing and re-installing them that Subaru is not divulging.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:48 AM
Forum Member

Garage
I'm pretty sure I used this vid as guidance. This vehicle is obviously not a '19 Forester but they share the same fixtures.

https://youtu.be/XgdRKc-HYII

- Chris
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coregrind View Post
I'm pretty sure I used this vid as guidance. This vehicle is obviously not a '19 Forester but they share the same fixtures.

https://youtu.be/XgdRKc-HYII
I saw that one, too. Maybe it’s user error (I am admittedly incompetent with most mechanical things), but I could not get those lenses/modules to slide over the way the video (and the owner’s manual) says they should. I wound up prying them out, and then they would not go back in securely. I’m hoping the LED lamps I have in there now last a long time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode