User Tag List

3Likes
  • 3 Post By Peja

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
New User

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2019 Starlink questions?

Hi all,
New to the forum and Subaru and I have a few questions about my 2019 Forester Premium:

Starlink only seems to work reliably when my iPhone is tethered, should it work without it being tethered?

The red/green lights on the upper console next to the SOS button are sometimes green and sometimes red, the dealer has replaced the DCM and the RX/TX but problem still exists. Any ideas?

Thanks again for the help, I like the car but Starlink seems to be a problem child.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman62 View Post
Hi all,
New to the forum and Subaru and I have a few questions about my 2019 Forester Premium:

Starlink only seems to work reliably when my iPhone is tethered, should it work without it being tethered?

The red/green lights on the upper console next to the SOS button are sometimes green and sometimes red, the dealer has replaced the DCM and the RX/TX but problem still exists. Any ideas?

Thanks again for the help, I like the car but Starlink seems to be a problem child.
Yes, it should work without being tethered. No ideas, sorry. Mine has always worked fine as far as I know.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:47 AM
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Touring
Transmission: Automatic
I had some difficulty with my STARLINK system staying connected for the first few weeks I had my 2019 Touring. I had a ďAutomaticĒ OBD-II dongle attached to the diagnostic port. When I removed that, the connectivity problems went away. Is there anything attached to your carís OBD-II port?

2019 Forester Touring, Pacific Northwest

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:03 AM
Forum Member

Transmission: CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by copwriter View Post
I had some difficulty with my STARLINK system staying connected for the first few weeks I had my 2019 Touring. I had a ďAutomaticĒ OBD-II dongle attached to the diagnostic port. When I removed that, the connectivity problems went away. Is there anything attached to your carís OBD-II port?
I also have a 2019 Touring and bought the additional 3 yrs subscription to STARLINK. I found out in manual my iPhone model 4s isnít supported and now waiting on a 7s+ to be delivered to get started setting up. The On-board diagnostic dongle Is that a Subaru shop tool forgotten and left behind by a tech?

The Ocecolakidtoo *
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:03 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman62 View Post
Hi all,

You did not mention Bluetooth in your post. You must sync your phones Bluetooth connection to use phone features such as listening to music, Pandora etc. without tethering.

2019 Touring -Red
2019 Touring - Green
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
New User

There is something plugged into my OBD II port, my insurance company sent it to me. Its some type of monitor. I will remove it and see if the problem goes away. Thanks
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:39 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
Transmission: Rubber band
I would not want any kind of monitoring device from my insurance company in/on my car. Ever.
Hypera, jmw15 and a1penguin like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:27 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: ForesterTouring 2.5
I keep getting emails from Subaru saying my Starlink light is on. Based on posts here, I can guess it has to be a result of keeping a Scan Guage II connected to the OBD receptacle. I have an appointment at Subaru tomorrow to have the rear view mirror with Homelink installed. It was ordered that way but a screw-up occurred. Iíll ask about the Starlink nuisance mail. This was not an issue with the 2017 model.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:39 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
The Starlink instructions that I read said that iPhones need to be USB connected for it to work. Think it was the setup when I first set it up.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:30 AM
Contributing Member

Transmission: Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndixs View Post
I keep getting emails from Subaru saying my Starlink light is on. Based on posts here, I can guess it has to be a result of keeping a Scan Guage II connected to the OBD receptacle. I have an appointment at Subaru tomorrow to have the rear view mirror with Homelink installed. It was ordered that way but a screw-up occurred. Iíll ask about the Starlink nuisance mail. This was not an issue with the 2017 model.
My experience, and the experience of several others here in the forum, is that STARLINK is not happy if anything is connected to the OBD-II port. In every case Iíve read, removing the dongle from the OBD-II port resolves the connectivity problem.

2019 Forester Touring, Pacific Northwest
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:01 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineJon View Post
The Starlink instructions that I read said that iPhones need to be USB connected for it to work. Think it was the setup when I first set it up.
iPhone does not need to be connected via USB port except to use Apple car play. I can use voice calling/texting and listen to my phoneís pandora or Spotify. All via Bluetooth.

2019 Touring -Red
2019 Touring - Green
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:52 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: ForesterTouring 2.5
While at Dyer Subaru this morning getting the correct rear view mirror installed, I asked the service manager re the periodic emails received from Subaru saying my Starlink light was on. His response was that it was very likely caused by the Scan Guage II plugged into the OBD receptacle. He also reported that some 2019 folks had noted Check Engine lights associated with some hardware plugged into the OBD port.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode