('14-'18) 2015 2.5i Touring Head Unit Replacement with CarPlay - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve B.
  • 1 Post By Steve B.

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: 2.5i Touring
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2015 2.5i Touring Head Unit Replacement with CarPlay

Hi.

My Foz is a joy.

The head unit has always been the opposite; it sounds incredible (Harmon Kardon system) but the Bluetooth and "nav" have always been completely awful.

So, replace it! Has anyone ever replaced this head unit and what was the experience?

This is not a DYI, for me. Had a boss a long time ago who was a sailor and he said "On a boat, figure out what you don't do well and...don't do it." That's me and wires.

Need Carplay and to maintain features like wheel controls.

Crutchfield suggested the following receivers:

113DDX9705 Kenwood DDX9705S DVD Receiver

158XAV5000 Sony XAV-AX5000 Digital Multimedia Receiver

And the following accessories for installing:

120958202 Toyota Kit 2000-Up, DD
794ADSMRR iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Universal Radio Replacement
794HRRSU2 iDatalink HRN-RR-SU2 Install Harness for select Subaru models
12040LX11 Toyota %26 Lexus antenna adapter 09-Up Toyota/Lexus
264PASCON ReadyHarness Service Connect Passive Harness to Radio

I'd be very grateful for any advice/experiences related to this possible project.

Listen well, all.

David

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:35 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5i Premium
I somewhat hesitate to make a suggestion. The choice of a new head unit is very personal, and depends on your wants, needs, and budget. I think you're on the right track to install the iDatalink Maestro steering wheel controls with one of the proposed head units. It will retain all the original steering wheel controls and allow you to add new functions too.

My 2015 Forester Premium has the original head unit. I'm considering upgrading to a Kenwood Excelon DNX696S with Garmin navigation. My Forester's 6 speakers have all been replaced. The dash tweeters were upgraded with Kicker/Subaru tweeters and JBL speakers were installed in the doors. Dynamat sound dampener installed onto all four doors improved speaker efficiency and reduced road noise.

I want to do more. When/if I replace the head unit, like you, I'll install IDatalink Maestro steering wheel controls. To further improve the sound quality and efficiency of the door speakers I want to install either Stinger Roadkill FAST Rings or similar/better? Soundskins Rings. https://youtu.be/32bLCSSwf4o Video of Soundskins v3: https://youtu.be/dVXilZspT4I

Dhbuckley likes this.

2015 2.5i Forester Premium CVT all weather

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-21-2019 at 03:04 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5i Touring
Thanks! Do not hesitate. I am ignorant and learning. I'd need to Google how many speakers in my car! I think 8 but maybe 6.

I assume you know that your chosen unit works w/ Premium, I'll try to see if works with mine.

I am totally fine with my sound as is, I just need a replacement for the lousy HU with terrible nav and BT.

Lmk what you decide to do.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:48 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhbuckley View Post
Thanks! Do not hesitate. I am ignorant and learning. I'd need to Google how many speakers in my car! I think 8 but maybe 6.

I assume you know that your chosen unit works w/ Premium, I'll try to see if works with mine.

I am totally fine with my sound as is, I just need a replacement for the lousy HU with terrible nav and BT.

Lmk what you decide to do.
Both Crutchfield and a local car stereo installation shop confirm that a Kenwood Excelon DNX696S is compatible with my 2015 Forester Premium. If cost were no object (I wish!) I might upgrade instead to a Kenwood Excelon DNX996XR ($1,399.00!!!).

Your Forester's Harmon Kardon head unit may be more complicated to replace and or upgrade. You can enter information about your Forester into Crutchfield's website to see what HUs and installation parts are compatible. It may also be worthwhile to call Crutchfield to talk to an advisor and/or to talk to a good local car stereo installer for their opinions and feedback. Your Forester already has an amplifier and one or more subwoofers (according to Crutchfield) that can be retained.
Dhbuckley likes this.

2015 2.5i Forester Premium CVT all weather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics