User Tag List

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Emeritus Forum Staff

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ATTN: Computer Builders

For any of you interested in building PC's, I'm about to start a new build. Most of the parts come from machines I've harvested, but I will need to buy a few things to put it all together. Please, feel free to give me your opinions!

So far:
MOBO: MSI X79A-GD45
Processor: 12 core 3.2ghz Intel
RAM: lots (32gig ddr3)
GPU's: Nvidia (MSI technically) GTX760 and GTX660

I need a case and a PSU to put this stuff in. For the PSU, I like this: Amazon.com: Sentey® Power Supply 750w 80 Plus Bronze - Mbp750-hs Metal Blade Power 750 Watts / 120mm Sleeve Bearing Fan / Autoswitching 100-240 Voltage / Active PFC / Single +12v Rail / Certified Power Cord / 5 Years Warranty Computer Power Supply -
I still haven't found a case I like. I would like one that doesn't have all the space up front for drives. I don't need it. I doubt I'll have any optical drives at all. It would also be cool if it was pink or black/pink. I also need keyboard/mouse/monitor too, but that's pretty easy. If you have any opinions on these, I'm all ears.

I'm building this as a Christmas present for my son. He LOVES Minecraft. I'm sure it will get used for homework and general messing around on the 'net too. It might be overkill, but I already own the expensive parts. And lastly, no, I'm not liquid cooling it. It's out of my price range.

Lemme know what you guys/gals think.

04X SOLD :(
02 Pathfinder
11 BMW X5
66 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester 2.5x
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
@kingfuzz , this one is right up your alley...

Sage Green Mafia!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrote View Post
For any of you interested in building PC's, I'm about to start a new build. Most of the parts come from machines I've harvested, but I will need to buy a few things to put it all together. Please, feel free to give me your opinions!

So far:

I need a case and a PSU to put this stuff in. For the PSU, I like this: Amazon.com: Sentey® Power Supply 750w 80 Plus Bronze - Mbp750-hs Metal Blade Power 750 Watts / 120mm Sleeve Bearing Fan / Autoswitching 100-240 Voltage / Active PFC / Single +12v Rail / Certified Power Cord / 5 Years Warranty Computer Power Supply -
I still haven't found a case I like. I would like one that doesn't have all the space up front for drives. I don't need it. I doubt I'll have any optical drives at all. It would also be cool if it was pink or black/pink. I also need keyboard/mouse/monitor too, but that's pretty easy. If you have any opinions on these, I'm all ears.

I'm building this as a Christmas present for my son. He LOVES Minecraft. I'm sure it will get used for homework and general messing around on the 'net too. It might be overkill, but I already own the expensive parts. And lastly, no, I'm not liquid cooling it. It's out of my price range.

For the case I've been really loving NZXT lately. They have several with no front slots that look real slick and they are well constructed. I have a NZXT H440 currently with a custom water loop and I love that case. Tons of space for wire management in the back and it is pretty silent as well.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

4 People converted to Subaru and counting

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Emeritus Forum Staff

Car Year: 2004
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I was looking at those. They seem to be pretty well made, but they don't have any pink. Since it's for a kid, I kinda want it to be a little "blingy".

04X SOLD :(
02 Pathfinder
11 BMW X5
66 Mustang
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 11:00 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X
Don't know the cost, but this one looks like something to consider. You can also change the LED colors, if your son gets tired of the pink.

More info here....
XClio A380Color-Plus Computer Case | TechwareLabs - Part 4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4light_pink.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	691.8 KB
ID:	291617  

....That's what I think !
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 04:15 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester S
Transmission: Auto
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrote View Post

So far:

I would recommend a 1000W power supply. I have a similar nVidia/EVGA/MSI build and the 750W doesn't have enough juice to reliably run your DVD drive or an additional HDD with that geforce card. I upgraded to 1kW and now my terabyte storage and DVD burner never fail. Good luck!

やれやれだぜ
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 07:53 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT
Why that 6 core Core i7? Minecraft wouldn't use anything more than a dual core. 6 core would be better for multimedia encoding. Overkill for gaming: Gaming Benchmarks - The Intel Haswell-E CPU Review: Core i7-5960X, i7-5930K and i7-5820K Tested

Most of the difference in those benchmarks is due to the additional PCIe lanes. Just wanted you to be aware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Asakura View Post
I would recommend a 1000W power supply. I have a similar nVidia/EVGA/MSI build and the 750W doesn't have enough juice to reliably run your DVD drive or an additional HDD with that geforce card. I upgraded to 1kW and now my terabyte storage and DVD burner never fail. Good luck!
Doesn't need anything more than 600W for that build. DVD drive will pull about 10W when reading/writing. HDDs use maybe 20W when spinning up at boot but at most use maybe 5-10W during normal use.

I have a 650W Corsair with an old power sucking Core 2 Extreme QX9650 (overclocked) and dual Radeon R7 265 in CrossFire. Runs without a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode