post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: forester sti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird starting problem

Evening all
Ive got a strange starting issue .
Since I got my Bucket seats I have often started the car without getting in it e.g putting my foot on the clutch from outside with the door open and turning the key and boom it would start , I do this so I can then potter about in the garage whilst It warms up . this means I don't have to actually climb into the seat to start the car.
But now the car wont start in this way . Now I have to climb into the seat depress the clutch to make it start .

Any ideas?

I have Dyslexia, if you don't like my spelling go @&%# #@*?$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:46 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester XTE
Transmission: 5 speed manual
When you sit in it to start it, do you have the door closed? If it needs the door closed before it will start, I would guess it’s to do with the alarm/immobiliser restricting it in some way.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:17 PM
TMX
Forum Member

Car Year: MY05
Car Model: Forester 2.5 XT
Maybe pushing on the clutch pedal has allowed it to develop some "play" in the mechanism and so doesn't always hit the clutch pedal switch?
And now needs to be correctly aligned to hit the clutch pedal switch thingy, that sitting in the seat and pressing, happens to allow?

Just a guess

Don't have this problem with UK models, they start fine without pushing the clutch pedal - Or mine does anyway

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I did wonder about that but why could I do it before and not now and why does it always start when im in the seat .

I have had a couple of instances where the starter motor has just spun but not flung its self out to engage the flywheel literally twice in the last 2 months but only when sat in the seat.

I have changed the battery in the fob so could the alarm be doing this after 3 years of good service ?

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMX View Post
Maybe pushing on the clutch pedal has allowed it to develop some "play" in the mechanism and so doesn't always hit the clutch pedal switch?
And now needs to be correctly aligned to hit the clutch pedal switch thingy, that sitting in the seat and pressing, happens to allow?

Just a guess

Don't have this problem with UK models, they start fine without pushing the clutch pedal - Or mine does anyway
Yes that might make sense as when out of the car the pedal will be pushed at strange angle. what blooming idiot would modify a perfectly good car to the point where he doesn't want to get in it to start it ?
Kevin, TMX and Busaru2016 like this.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:18 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester STi
Sound odd - could be a dodgy switch needing full force of you sitting in the seat to connect. You can bypass the clutch switch for info with no ill effects - just bridge the connector with some suitable wire & tape up.
Lockheed likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: FSTi
Transmission: 6 speed manual
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you always depress your clutch on start-up? I only ever when I'm in the seat by a force of habit but when I'm outside the car like you do to let her warm I don't and never have.
Seems an odd one there bud.

Sook mah baws peasant
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Because its forged and there is a lot of piston slap when cold it takes a few minutes to warm . does yours start without the clutch down ?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:25 AM
Forum Member

Garage
Oooooh I see and yup it sure does. I'm not a guru but surely oversized rings would sort out any slap.... Oh hang on I'm guessing yours maybe a 2.1 stroker? So that would mean it's a bored 2 ltr... No? So would have oversized rings anyway?
So many questions.... 🙂

Edit: Maybe just forget everything I'm on about as I don't really know what I'm on about.
So generally the JDM cars need to have the clutch pedal pressed to start? I didn't know this as mine doesn't. Maybe thats why there's a wire loop on the clutch switch behind the pedal on mine. Well you learn something here everyday... Cue embarrassed face.
Looks like the connector has been disconnected and a loop put in.. See pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190520_145604_1558360635811.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	510231  
Lockheed likes this.

Sook mah baws peasant

Last edited by highland forry; 05-20-2019 at 05:58 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Andy thanks for that I may have to do the same thing ,
The engine is an ej 22t with a 2.5 arrow crank so stroked to 2.35 its exactly the same bottom end as the Lateral Banana car built by the
same guy Paul Finch so in theory its capable of 850hp ……. the bottom end that is not the top end as Engine tuner proved .

as far as I know all jdm cars need the clutch depressed to start and all have indicators on the wrong or right side depending on your viewpoint also they have that annoying reverse beeper and sedans have rear window wipers .

Last edited by Lockheed; 05-20-2019 at 08:30 AM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:44 AM
Forum Member

Garage
Ah I see and wow.
Yes I'd give the loop between the male connector/female spades a shot as shown in the pic. Obviously whoever done it in mine found the correct female connector/male spades like on the clutch switch to make it look tidier and less chance of the spades getting caught and falling out. less hassle than having to stick a foot in the car or having to sit in to start her.

I also read a few things on the slap and forged pistons so kinda know a wee bit more than I did earlier haha. More silicone in the metal when forging causes less slap when cold.

Sook mah baws peasant
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:48 AM
Forum Member

Garage
Yup indies on the opposite side and yup that annoying reverse beep, also key in the ignition and door open beep too. I've found both the culprits under the dash as it happens when taking that pic so may have to at least disconnect the key in ignition door open beeper as it's just so annoying.

Sook mah baws peasant
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMX View Post

Just a guess

The problem is definitely this ^^^^ sitting on the bolster pushing the clutch at a less acute angle the car starts .
so problem solved .

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:38 PM
TMX
Forum Member

Car Year: MY05
Car Model: Forester 2.5 XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockheed View Post

as far as I know all jdm cars need the clutch depressed to start and all have indicators on the wrong or right side depending on your viewpoint also they have that annoying reverse beeper and sedans have rear window wipers .
Are you sure all Japanese cars have that? I don't remember the R33 GTR having that........It did need the clutch pushed in to start and had the rear wiper and indicators on the opposite side...

Glad you figured it out, from another who stands next to the car to start it before getting in.
Lockheed likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:04 AM
Don, King of the parts diagram

Car Year: MY11
Car Model: WRX STi Sedan
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by highland forry View Post
Yup indies on the opposite side and yup that annoying reverse beep, also key in the ignition and door open beep too. I've found both the culprits under the dash as it happens when taking that pic so may have to at least disconnect the key in ignition door open beeper as it's just so annoying.
AFAICR the reverse beep is inside the BIU unit.

"Back in the day" this has been looked into but once again the forum search facility is NBU again.

However eventually found it...

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...se-beep-80124/

Was a MY03 FXT 5MT (280bhp/290Lbsft)
Now a MY11 WRX STi 4door (342bhp/360Lbsft)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > International Forums > Europe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode